Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Cracking ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had this for several months (9 months owning) ...

It appears to be cracks in the charge port mounting. I am in no way rough on inserting or removing the charger and there's no outside force putting pressure on the charger handle ..... so Im a tad perplexed ..

Arrows ..
20130805_133454222.jpg

Without .....
20130805_133454.jpg

I sometimes use a J1772 charger with a coiled cord that puts sideways pressure on the adapter when it's plugged in (due to the cord trying to recoil itself), I had wondered if this was causing undue stress on the port. Now I'll have to go look and see if I have any cracks.

It started out with one .... and then increased to 3-4 .... a few months after delivery.

Have not bothered with warranty claim as it does not impair charging .... and really doesnt bother me.

I wonder if the lid/cover touches, and if you close it with force it strikes that plastic ring and has caused the fractures. I am pretty gentle when I close it, but to be honest, I don't really think about it. You could (just for fun) put some colored oil (or something that would easily wash off) on the plastic cover and close it and see if it touches the lighted ring.