Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge On Solar Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
TheDriven says Tesla are enabling Charge-On-Solar (for those with a Powerwall) in Australia tomorrow:

That would be awesome. I have been waiting for that for a long time. I might even install a wall connector now!

The best feature is speeding ticket avoidance.
Yep, which is why it is frustrating that TACC so often fails in construction zones.

I wonder whether it will outperform Charge HQ app. That has been great even now with $7/m subscription. They added a lot of features.

The main benefit of chargeHQ is the grid aware functionality and having an excellent scheduler and control over the charging rate. Teala's app in this regard is rubbish at the moment. So in it's current form no I don't think so but over time maybe.

Reactions: Leeroy
The main benefit of chargeHQ is the grid aware functionality and having an excellent scheduler and control over the charging rate. Teala's app in this regard is rubbish at the moment. So in it's current form no I don't think so but over time maybe.
What is control over charging rate? It’s seems from what I’ve read Tesla app has this, no?

Also, what is grid aware functionality?

I don’t use the scheduler however Tesla explain how one can combine scheduling and the new charge on solar functionality.

Of course it’s all a moot point as it’s still not showing, not sure if we’re to get it 1min before the end of the 23rd….or we get it on our 24th (USA 23rd)….grr

Last edited:
Reactions: JonDarian
Can't see the option on for either. I'm on iOS 4.30.0 version which is the latest.
They quietly changed the requirements.

Tesla app4.30.5 or Higher

It’ll be interesting to see if Tesla limits this to cars that are WiFi connected in their garage, and it won’t work if they are not, unless the customer has Premium Connectivity.

That’s because Tesla’s SIM contract with Telstra would be based on a certain average amount of data usage per SIM per month, a cost which Tesla absorbs. Customers with Premium data would have a higher average data allowance per month and the customer pays $10/mo for the privilege.

Charge on Solar will massively increase Tesla’s API calls to the car to continuously vary the charging rate - I understand it will be every 2-3 minutes. Fine if that’s over WiFi, possibly not fine if it is done over cellular.

Reactions: dronus
Ah okay.. followed up with Tesla and it's coming still, it needs a later App version (over) 4.30.5, which is going to be released later this week.

So min spec is now:

1709002741154.png

It’ll be interesting to see if Tesla limits this to cars that are WiFi connected in their garage, and it won’t work if they are not, unless the customer has Premium Connectivity.

That’s because Tesla’s SIM contract with Telstra would be based on a certain average amount of data usage per SIM per month, a cost which Tesla absorbs. Customers with Premium data would have a higher average data allowance per month and the customer pays $10/mo for the privilege.

Charge on Solar will massively increase Tesla’s API calls to the car to continuously vary the charging rate - I understand it will be every 2-3 minutes. Fine if that’s over WiFi, possibly not fine if it is done over cellular.
I dont believe the API calls will generate much traffic, they are rather small data packages (few kb each). In the last week I have noticed twice that when I got home and my car connected to wifi, it did a massive upload to Tesla in excess of 1.1-1.5GB, I suspect that was video from cameras on the last drive that day or collection of videos from specific type of drives for their AI learning as that much data from logs does not seem realistic. I do have premium connectivity, but it would appear that with such large data amounts they still prefer to send it over wifi. It has not happened every day, so I suspect they were collecting something specific at the time.

That's only a few minutes of video plus logs. If that's what it was?

I suspect they pay Telstra for a given data volume across the fleet - which is why updates don't come down via 4G, and probably also why we never got/never will get remote sentry view.

I notice the app layout has changed slightly, although my app apparently hasn’t received an update since 16 Feb… maybe I'm just not very observant. Here the screenshots anyway...

First one - drop down on left shows your other products, speech bubble is messages, hamburger menu takes you to the following screen.

IMG_5785.jpeg

IMG_5786.jpeg

App version reporting at v4.30.0-2221.

Reactions: dronus