Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Limit Exceeded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that since one of the more recent updates (past month), my MY LR charges slightly beyond whatever limit I have set, but it appears to be happening following the initial charge. For example, yesterday after a long road trip, I arrived at my house at 12% and set the limit to 80%. It immediately started charging and reported completing about 5-6 hours later. Teslafi data confirms that it stopped at 80%. Teslafi then shows it sleeping with no additional activity, but today when I woke it up it was at 85%. I am using a recently purchased Tesla Wall Connector. The charging limit onboard and on the app is confirmed to be 80%. I did notice before it went to sleep and idled it did creep up 1-2%. Could it just be that it is recalibrating its actual SoC?

I'm not too worried about this since it's stopping within 5% but wanted to see if anyone else has experience this recently.

I never encountered it under 2021.4.18.x, but starting with 2021.12.25.x forward it happens often. It will go over by 2% or 3%. I've never encountered 5% over.

I had to stop setting my charge limit to 90% because it would go over and I would get a warning. Now if I know I've got a lot of driving to do the next day, I'll set my max charge to 87%. (Most of the time my daily charge limit is set at 75% so a few percent over doesn't matter.)

I had this happen last night. I charged up to 95% Sunday night for a road trip on Monday, then left it at 95% for the trip (only charged twice, briefly at a Chargepoint Level 2 and then at a Supercharger on the way home, to 95%). Last night I reset it to 80% before it started charging overnight. This am, the notification said it had charged to 92%. I double-checked the app, and it was set to stop at 80%. I've had it go over by a percent, but never 12%! I'm on 2021.24.11.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.PNG
    IMG_1445.PNG
    253.7 KB · Views: 725
Welp, gonna put in a service request. I actually adjusted the charge level in the car to 75%, then double-checked it on the app. Charged to 93% overnight. So I set it 5 % lower, and it charged 1% higher....!

Attachments

• IMG_1481.PNG
    IMG_1481.PNG
    258.4 KB · Views: 432
I have the same issue, in fact, a few days ago I woke to a 100% SOC when the car was set to 80% when we went to bed. I double-checked ALL the app's and the car's charge screen. It was set at 80%. My car sat at 100% for about 6 hours before I could drive it and get it under 90%. It's doing the same thing right now. I plugged in at 61% set slider to 80% and the app says it'll take 3 hrs and 50 min to complete.

So now I have to manually monitor my charging and make sure I stop it before it blows past my set limits. I'm on 2021.24.12

I have the same issue, in fact, a few days ago I woke to a 100% SOC when the car was set to 80% when we went to bed. I double-checked ALL the app's and the car's charge screen. It was set at 80%. My car sat at 100% for about 6 hours before I could drive it and get it under 90%. It's doing the same thing right now. I plugged in at 61% set slider to 80% and the app says it'll take 3 hrs and 50 min to complete.

So now I have to manually monitor my charging and make sure I stop it before it blows past my set limits. I'm on 2021.24.12
Huh--I thought this was just something that had happened to me.

I have been on a long vacation trip the last couple of weeks, only using Superchargers, so I kept the limit at 100% and never had the chance for it to charge overnight.
So I got home, and plugged in and then I opened up the app on my phone as I was walking away and moved the charge limit down to about 78%, and then hit the "Start charging" button. This was the first time I had set the limit in the mobile app since that new crazy interface update it got. And apparently, it never sent that limit update to the car!! I woke up this morning with the car sitting at 100%!!

The old mobile interface had more of a detail like the car's screen does, where you press a button to change the limit and move the slider and then press a button to say "Done", so you know it's set. Apparently this new slider is supposed to be in realtime, but isn't?

Huh--I thought this was just something that had happened to me.

I have been on a long vacation trip the last couple of weeks, only using Superchargers, so I kept the limit at 100% and never had the chance for it to charge overnight.
So I got home, and plugged in and then I opened up the app on my phone as I was walking away and moved the charge limit down to about 78%, and then hit the "Start charging" button. This was the first time I had set the limit in the mobile app since that new crazy interface update it got. And apparently, it never sent that limit update to the car!! I woke up this morning with the car sitting at 100%!!

The old mobile interface had more of a detail like the car's screen does, where you press a button to change the limit and move the slider and then press a button to say "Done", so you know it's set. Apparently this new slider is supposed to be in realtime, but isn't?
I did some more troubleshooting, I successfully charged at a SuperCharger and on the UMC. So all things pointed to the new WC I just installed, knowing the new WC is part computer I flipped the breaker and waited 10 minutes. Flipped it back on and it charged successfully to a set point and turned off and displayed the BLUE light. It has charged successfully 5 more times since then.

But I now wonder when or if it will do that again. Oh, and I tried to return it to get the 24 ft unit as the 18 ft unit isn't working out for us and Tesla denied my RETURN as I missed the 30-day return window by ONE day. I do miss my Clipper Creek.

Guess these are first-world problems.

I did some more troubleshooting, I successfully charged at a SuperCharger and on the UMC. So all things pointed to the new WC I just installed, knowing the new WC is part computer I flipped the breaker and waited 10 minutes. Flipped it back on and it charged successfully to a set point and turned off and displayed the BLUE light. It has charged successfully 5 more times since then.

But I now wonder when or if it will do that again. Oh, and I tried to return it to get the 24 ft unit as the 18 ft unit isn't working out for us and Tesla denied my RETURN as I missed the 30-day return window by ONE day. I do miss my Clipper Creek.

Guess these are first-world problems.
Except I have the same problems with a clipper creek charger.

Ultimately, the circuitry that controls the charging is in the car, not in the wall unit so I suspect it’s a bug in the software.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have mobile service coming today to check this (and a recurring issue with my parking sensor activating at random times, now pretty much pinned down to when it is raining or has rained). So last night, after not charging the car for a day or two, I decided to charge it before I went to bed (I normally charge overnight) so I could monitor. I set the charge limit to 80% (via the app) and it charged and stopped at 80%. Then I set it at 85%, intending to let it charge overnight but I guess the fact that I started charging manually overrode the 'start charge time' setting of 10:30, so it just started charging again. It stopped at 85%. Hopefully the tech can at least look at the logs and see the several times it blew past the limit.

So all things pointed to the new WC
Ultimately, the circuitry that controls the charging is in the car, not in the wall unit so I suspect it’s a bug in the software.
Yeah, I doubt that's related to the wall connector, since it is the car that controls requesting current and stops requesting current when it knows it has reached the limit. So I agree that this is probably some kind of bug in the new mobile interface that is not updating the car somehow with that limit. When I got in the car later, the car's screen showed the limit all the way up at the top, so it wasn't that it had gone over--it just had not gotten any information of moving the limit down.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Mobile service came out today - unfortunately, no silver bullet. The tech did ask that I monitor the charging issue and note when it happens for a few days, and text him directly the times when it happens so he can report back to the engineers. The same with my intermittent parking sensor activation. He did examine my mobile charger and took a picture of the serial number in case there is an issue with some of them. He also pushed the latest update to the car - 2021.32.21 (Immersive sound improvements, interior camera Autopilot activation, Greek).

пока жду свою теслу у меня много вопросов. вот читаю о ваших проблемах с регулированием заряда +/- 5 процентов и ужасаюсь. Собираюсь много ездить каждый день, пока аккумулятор полностью не разрядится, потом зарядить на нагнетателе и снова разрядить, а по возвращении домой заряд дома максимум ночью. Я, наверное, многого не понимаю. Не могли бы вы объяснить мне, не могу ли я дать машине возможность заряжаться до 100% самостоятельно и не беспокоиться об этих 5%? Это не то же самое, что поставить iPhone на зарядку на ночь, чтобы утром увидеть 100%? Заранее благодарим за разъяснения.
"while waiting for my tesla, I have a lot of questions. I'm reading about your problems with charge regulation +/- 5 percent and I'm horrified. I am going to drive a lot every day until the battery is completely discharged, then charge it on a supercharger and discharge it again, and upon returning home, the charge at home is maximum at night. I probably don't understand a lot. Could you please explain to me if I can give the car the ability to charge up to 100% on its own and not worry about that 5%? Isn't that the same as putting your iPhone on charge overnight to see 100% in the morning? Thanks in advance for the clarification."

I took the liberty of translating since I don't think we have any Russian speakers here...! First off, the issue we are discussing is some sort of bug, not the usual way it works, and in fact, the bug has been resolved on my car, as far as I can tell. I set it to charge up to 80%, and it stops at 80%. You can set the limit to whatever you want but Tesla recommends no more than 90% for daily use.

Secondly, the way you are planning to use the car isn't a good recipe for a long-lasting battery. Ideally, you have the battery between 20% and 80% and keep it in that range. Frequent Supercharging can also lead to battery degradation as well. You can download the Owner's Manual to your computer; lots of advice there about caring for the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H