Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Current at this location - does not seem to work properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my MY recently and getting used to it..
I have noticed, that charging settings called "Charge Current at this location" does not work properly. Looks like it does not have anything related to "location".
Example: I have a Wall Connector set up for the max output of 48A, and I can charge at 48A. But, for overnight charging this amount of power it's not necessary, so I reduce the settings in the car to 24A and hope it remembers this and always use 24A "at this location" until I decide to make a change.
It does not look like it works. If I charge only at home, then yes, this setting stays consistent at 24A every time I come home and charge. But if I charge anywhere else, this setting defaults back to 48A, and when I come back home, it stays at 48A, so I need to change this again. Tesla does not seem to remember the location... Or maybe it is how it suppose to work??

If I charge only at home, then yes, this setting stays consistent at 24A every time I come home and charge. But if I charge anywhere else, this setting defaults back to 48A, and when I come back home, it stays at 48A, so I need to change this again. Tesla does not seem to remember the location... Or maybe it is how it suppose to work??
I know... but I wonder why it does not work.. or, it is how it suppose to work
I think you're missing a detail of how it works, and it's not apparent in the interface, but may be explained in the manual. It's not trying to save any settings if you are dialing it up and down when it's not plugged into anything. That may be what you were assuming it is supposed to do. It will display 48A as the default max capability of the onboard charger all the time when it's not connected to anything to send it a signal announcing anything different.

It is only when it is plugged into something and THEN you adjust the current level while it is charging, that it will create or adjust a saved amp setting for that location. So you can set it WHILE charging at home or work or a friend's house, and it will create those memory locations, and then when you plug in again at those locations, it should automatically flip over to what was set there before.

I have the opposite problem. I set the limit artificially low initially. Now I want to raise the maximum current to what my equipment can actually deliver, and I cannot seem to make it happen.
Are you referring to the car setting or the equipment setting? If it is the car, you do as Rocky posted. Plug in, wait to see that the car is charging and on the car screen, adjust the amps up to the max allowed.

If it is the equipment (HPWC), then you need to change its settings. If it is Gen3, you may have to reset it and reprovision (I don't have one so I don't know if you can adjust amps without a reset). If it is Gen2, you need to turn off the breaker, open the unit and turn the dial to the correct setting for the breaker it is attached to).

Are you referring to the car setting or the equipment setting? If it is the car, you do as Rocky posted. Plug in, wait to see that the car is charging and on the car screen, adjust the amps up to the max allowed.

If it is the equipment (HPWC), then you need to change its settings. If it is Gen3, you may have to reset it and reprovision (I don't have one so I don't know if you can adjust amps without a reset). If it is Gen2, you need to turn off the breaker, open the unit and turn the dial to the correct setting for the breaker it is attached to).

I am referring to the limit set in the car. I cannot adjust the amps up on the screen in the car. The limit set in the charging equipment is typical of modest level 2 charging. The limit on the car screen is what you get for level 1. THAT is the problem.
It is really hard to help without any details. Please post what I asked for in post #9. Also,

When the car is charging, what voltage do you see on the car’s display?
What kind of connector are you using, mobile connector, wall connector, something else?
Is you car an SR+?
Is anything else on the circuit you are using for charging or is the circuit dedicated?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I am referring to the limit set in the car. I cannot adjust the amps up on the screen in the car. The limit set in the charging equipment is typical of modest level 2 charging. The limit on the car screen is what you get for level 1. THAT is the problem.
When you can't change the charging amperage setting on the in-vehicle charging screen is your Tesla vehicle plugged in?

You can also set the charging amperage from within the Tesla app.

Please post of picture of your car screen WHILE you are charging.

What are these "limits" you refer to? L1 is 120V and L2 is 240V. 50A L1 (4.8kw) charging would be faster than 20A L2 (3.8kw) charging.

Also, the car (and Tesla charging equipment) adjusts based on sensors in the car and cables so it could be limiting based on a bad connection or excess heat or some other issue. This is why we need to see pictures (or very specific description of everything on the screen like ATPMSD asked for) to be able to help you diagnose the problem.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and ATPMSD
Here is what the screen in the app should look like. If you click the right arrow on the big grey button it should increase your charge rate (there is no right arrow on mine because it is set for the maximum rate). I had just plugged in which is why it says 0/40A. If after being plugged in for a minute or so it says anything other than Max/MaxA (40/40A in this case) then there is something wrong with the charger or charging cord and the car or the charger is reducing current as a safety measure. If max listed is something lower than what you believe your charger is putting out then there is a setting wrong on the charger. If the voltage is not 240V then something is wrong with the wiring of the charger.
IMG_3302.jpg

• Helpful
Appreciate your efforts to help me but if I could simply adjust the charge limit, I would have done it. For the longest time, despite enumerable adjustments, my attempt to make the simple adjustment you describe were thwarted. The odyssey of experimentation I have gone to get past this problem would probably be the basis of a pretty good comedy video. One thing I tried was to somehow change/delete my home location in the memory of the vehicle in the hopes that I could start fresh to define the proper charging current limit here. I drove to a new spot in the neighbourhood at tried to tell the Y it was now in its new home - but could not fool my Y! I wonder if the memory of home is somehow linked to my address in my Tesla account. I held off on experimenting with this! I have a complicated communications set up with a current override controller linked to current transformers on my main power line incomers. That device in turn communicated with the EVSE witch is plugged into the Tesla. I went through all sorts of conniptions resetting this equipment and fiddling with settings. Once before when I had this problem the action that seemed to open the door for me was setting the total household current limit to exactly 80% of the main breaker capacity whereas before that I had been a bit beyond 80%. Fiddling with that limit this time had no affect. What seemed to work this time was fixing inadequate communication between the CT based controller and the EVSE. Now I can charge at the actual current limit of the EVSE. The heart of the problem is that when communications is not working every direction you look is the potential source of incompatibility> For quite awhile I thought the problem was a Tesla reset problem, but it turned out to be a problem between two other pieces of equipment. Sorry to needlessly bother so many generous-of-spirit folks who tried to help.

Appreciate your efforts to help me but if I could simply adjust the charge limit, I would have done it. For the longest time, despite enumerable adjustments, my attempt to make the simple adjustment you describe were thwarted. The odyssey of experimentation I have gone to get past this problem would probably be the basis of a pretty good comedy video. One thing I tried was to somehow change/delete my home location in the memory of the vehicle in the hopes that I could start fresh to define the proper charging current limit here. I drove to a new spot in the neighbourhood at tried to tell the Y it was now in its new home - but could not fool my Y! I wonder if the memory of home is somehow linked to my address in my Tesla account. I held off on experimenting with this! I have a complicated communications set up with a current override controller linked to current transformers on my main power line incomers. That device in turn communicated with the EVSE witch is plugged into the Tesla. I went through all sorts of conniptions resetting this equipment and fiddling with settings. Once before when I had this problem the action that seemed to open the door for me was setting the total household current limit to exactly 80% of the main breaker capacity whereas before that I had been a bit beyond 80%. Fiddling with that limit this time had no affect. What seemed to work this time was fixing inadequate communication between the CT based controller and the EVSE. Now I can charge at the actual current limit of the EVSE. The heart of the problem is that when communications is not working every direction you look is the potential source of incompatibility> For quite awhile I thought the problem was a Tesla reset problem, but it turned out to be a problem between two other pieces of equipment. Sorry to needlessly bother so many generous-of-spirit folks who tried to help.
Thanks for the explanation. This is all information that should have been in your first post. Having other equipment that limits current available to the EVSE would have been the first thing to check to make sure your EVSE was capable of putting out the max current in which case the Tesla could receive it. Also, showing a screenshot of the app while charging would have been a huge help to point you either towards the Tesla or to look elsewhere. Asking for help without disclosing all the relevant information and then not providing information requested to help solve your problem makes it seem like you want to blame Tesla but aren’t willing to accept any help.

Glad you got it figured out and it seems like you have an interesting power setup. Why would you limit the household current to 80% of the main breaker? Its not a continuous load so seems overkill to have that much safety margin.

• Love
When I initially brought home my Signature P85 Model S about 11 years ago I set the maximum charging current using the touch screen in the car to 30 amps (since I share a small EVSE with my Nissan Leaf). The limit has always remained set at 30 amps (except after needing to be reset after visits to the service facility); however, after my third touch screen replacement, the charging limit jumps up to 80A as soon as the charge has been completed. Although the EVSE hopefully will override the new setting in the car, it was nice to have dual (EVSE & Tesla) charging limits that were set under the max output of the EVSE. The car hasn't moved after the completion of charge, so the location has not changed. Since I'm connecting the car using a Tesla J1772 adapter, so there are no proprietary TESLA-specific exchanges of charging limit data from the EVSE.

When I initially brought home my Signature P85 Model S about 11 years ago I set the maximum charging current using the touch screen in the car to 30 amps (since I share a small EVSE with my Nissan Leaf). The limit has always remained set at 30 amps (except after needing to be reset after visits to the service facility); however, after my third touch screen replacement, the charging limit jumps up to 80A as soon as the charge has been completed. Although the EVSE hopefully will override the new setting in the car, it was nice to have dual (EVSE & Tesla) charging limits that were set under the max output of the EVSE. The car hasn't moved after the completion of charge, so the location has not changed. Since I'm connecting the car using a Tesla J1772 adapter, so there are no proprietary TESLA-specific exchanges of charging limit data from the EVSE.
If your evse onky orovides 30A you don’t need to worry. The car can’t force it to provide more than it is capable.