Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO error tracking thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I followed this sequence on the 25kW Fuji ChargePoint units in Burlington - but it was failing the test cycle... the pattern appeared to be:
- Charger executes test cycle (clunk sound of main breaker in unit)
- Car ramps up to 400-500VDC
- Clunk as main breaker either trips or dis-engages
- Repeat once (again up to 400-500VDC)
- VE122 error on charger

Again this appears to be a software/negotiation issue with these chargers... I'm still waiting to hear back from ChargePoint and/or Tesla - but continue to follow up, and will gather more data from other brands of chargers as possible.

'ta :) Rob

- - - Updated - - -

There is definitely a mechanical engagement you need on the Nissan 50kW (Fuji?) units (as show above on the sticker - that lower lever has to be engaged).

Burlington worked fine twice for me after I got that down B-)

Rob

Today I went to a Nissan dealer just to test out my Chademo adapter and see what I might expect on a trip to Huntsville, AL this June. After I finally figured out how to get the adapter plugged into the Chademo plug (Talk about clunky engineering on the Chademo Chargers) I managed to get a charge going. I really didn't need the range but wanted to see if the Nissan chargers would be reliable for my trip from the Saint Louis Area to Huntsville, AL via Nashville, TN. The charge started out great 103A and 353v. This went on for about ten minutes then the system powered down. I checked the Charger and it stated a Heat Failure. I guess I will take the SC route through Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky rather than chancing a trip into the wilds of Chademo. I really hope that TM get the I-24 Corridor on the SC list soon.

I had a chance to try out 3 CHAdeMO units over the weekend, with success at 2. Interestingly, one of the Nissan eVgo units at the Hampton Inn, WRJ didn't work for me at all, but others have had luck. On the screen was nothing but the eVgo logo at the top right, and "101" in small print at the bottom left. Nothing I did at the station made any difference. I called eVgo, and they claimed they were unable to communicate with the unit and would need to send a technician. Very first CHAdeMO experience not instilling confidence...

I proceeded to Fuji unit in Montpelier. Another driver experienced a VE122 at this station, but it worked like a charm for me. I had one false start, due to my inability to correctly mate the adaptor to the CHAdeMO connector on my first try.

Followed that up this morning with a successful 40kW charge at a Nissan unit at a Nissan dealership. ChargePoint to authorize, weirdly not charged the $2 indicated, but worked. Had even more trouble mating this one to the adapter. These things are just terrible, but I take what I can get.

Like most people, when I was first confronted by the Nissan version of the CHAdeMO plugs with the lever underneath and button on top. I thought it was hugely over-engineered. But I should have realised that those fiendish Japanese engineers would not design something like this without a reason (let alone their bean-counters sanction it) and so it is designed to be used by anyone - capable or... less than capable. Consequently, there is a technique to using them.

If you search YouTube for it there is a good video demonstrating it (probably several by now).

It makes it very easy to use *if you know how*!

Plugging in - hold the CHAdeMO plug (with one hand if you are chunky enough) and, without touching lever or button, insert it into socket until you hear a click. Then squeeze the lever until you hear a second click. The plug is now properly and relatively effortlessly, correctly engaged.

Unplugging - Press the top button which releases the plug 'half way, then hold the plug with one hand (not touching or getting in the way of the lever) and gently pull the plug away from the socket and press the button again and the plug will fully release. (NB: Some versions have a sliding lever end-cover which must be slid out of the lever's way as you press the button the first time). MW

Had an interesting experience with another Fuji CHAdeMO charger I though I'd share. When I first arrived, I had no trouble getting it going. However, the station is 25kW and limited to 1 hour. I wasn't sure I had a big enough buffer after that hour, so I attempted to start another session right after the first one completed. No luck, VE122 errors every time I tried. Kinda surprising after just successfully charging.

I tried the Chademo charger in Ewing Twp NJ (NJ CAR) last night. After plugging in, the Tesla kept saying Error with Chademo unit. The Chademo unit kept showing Error CE110, and wouldn't allow me to reset the unit. There was a breaker switch on the back of the Chademo unit, which I tried to reset twice to no avail.

This seems like such a pain in the butt compared to the ease of using a Supercharger.

Had an interesting experience with another Fuji CHAdeMO charger I though I'd share. When I first arrived, I had no trouble getting it going. However, the station is 25kW and limited to 1 hour. I wasn't sure I had a big enough buffer after that hour, so I attempted to start another session right after the first one completed. No luck, VE122 errors every time I tried. Kinda surprising after just successfully charging.

On the Club Tesla Quebec fb page, someone else also reported being able to charge for one hour at a Fuji 25 kW station in Burlington, VT, but then getting the VE122 error when they tried for another session. This was at the garage downtown. They never got the Fuji unit in Winsooki to work because of the same VE122 error. The Fuji CHAdeMO at the Burlington Electric site had an out-of-order sign.

Finally, they tried the Freedom Nissan CHAdeMO and the charging stopped after 11 minutes due to a thermal error. This is despite Canadian Model S being limited to 25 kW on Nissan brand CHAdeMO stations.

Follow-up : after running into a ChargePoint representative at an EV event, I got some more info on the units... Apparently the challenge ChargePoint has been having is that their bolt-on bit (for auth/billing) is just a pass-through, so when the charger unit generates an error like this, they have NO DATA or specs to troubleshoot, they have to go the respective manufacturer (Fuji in this case).

The rep told me they've been having trouble with non-responsive manufacturers, but in this case he got a quick reply - there was a certified firmware (tested with Tesla), Fuji released a new version, and now there's the VE122 errors - which are car side, so they are stuck until Tesla troubleshoots and/or goes back to re-certify.

Ah - the joys of software debugging between *TWO* "third parties" :p lol

I may have a chance to try things out again in August... will see (and try some of the tricks everyone listed - and may be bringing my CANbus capture hardware with me for some trace captures ;-)

Rob

I charged at freedom Nissan today without a glitch. Very friendly folks there. One of the employees even swiped his chargepoint card for me (he said it's free for him).

I happened upon a fuji unit that wasn't on plugshare at the CVS in Colchester. I added it to plugshare, but wasn't able to get a charge from it (ve122 error). Will try again tomorrow or Sunday before we head back to NY.