Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating Package Options & Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 MSLR is at detailer today for PPF, Tint, and Ceramic Coating.
I intend to keep car for ten years but have doubts about higher priced product’s longevity and whether Fireball is a top shelf product given the price point.

Question from installer:

Morning Ben! Started on her nkw. Here are all options for our ceramic coating applications. I believe I quoted you for $1175 for our 3 year. Let me know if any other ones Interest you, any questions please ask. I will have a link attached, just scroll down as it will highlight each coding. Typically I tell people to pick a coating for how many years they believe they’re going to keep the vehicle. Also, there is a wheel removal option to have the wheels and covers ceramic coated as well as the exterior glass and windshield

Aegis $1100 (3 year)
Devis Blood $1400 (4 year)
Silla $1650 (5 year)
Butterfly $1800 (7 year)
Butterfly Graphene $2000 (9 year)
Dok Do $2350 (10 year)

Talon Wheel & Caliper Coating $350
Typhoon Windshield & Glass Coating $300

• Helpful
Reactions: CHGolferJim
I guess my question is:

Should I go economy because I’ll likely use automatic car wash which is likely to just wash away more expensive product within two years anyway?

Or, should I apply more expensive product because it is less likely to be washed off by automatic car wash?

What's included in those prices? Some companies say there is a "10 year warranty" on the coating but then they make you pay for yearly "maintenance" at a steep price. I coat my cars myself with CQuartz UK. A small bottle will do the trick and it'll cost you around $60. You can recoat once a year if you like.

Coating the wheels of a Tesla is a waste. I never coated mine, and what little brake dust and road grime is there always just wipes off. I'd also not waste money on coating the glass. Just use Rain-X or Aquapel.

Seems increased pricing is unjustified;
Can bottle of Silla cost $500 more than a bottle of Aegis?
Conclusion: my provider earns much more on better products since his application time is likely the same for all products.

Ceramic coating is straight up snake oil, while the benefits of water beading up are nice, paying anything over cost of a bottle is a joke for a project you can do yourself, IMO. Did adams ceramic coating myself and pleased with the results.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
What's included in those prices? Some companies say there is a "10 year warranty" on the coating but then they make you pay for yearly "maintenance" at a steep price. I coat my cars myself with CQuartz UK. A small bottle will do the trick and it'll cost you around $60. You can recoat once a year if you like.

Coating the wheels of a Tesla is a waste. I never coated mine, and what little brake dust and road grime is there always just wipes off. I'd also not waste money on coating the glass. Just use Rain-X or Aquapel.
Can you give a short review of CQuartz? which option did you buy, 30ml, 50ml, etc how well is it holding up? after follow washing

Ceramic coating is straight up snake oil, while the benefits of water beading up are nice, paying anything over cost of a bottle is a joke for a project you can do yourself, IMO. Did adams ceramic coating myself and pleased with the results.
Can you give a short review of Adams? which option did you buy, standard or advanced, etc how well is it holding up? after follow washing

I have 2x Ts, $$ professionally installed Xpel on the MYP and cheap I installed ceramic on the M3
Xpel is holding up amazingly, cheap stuff is not
Interested in upgrading the ceramic on the M3, looking at Adams and CQuartz
Appreciate the feedback guys

Can you give a short review of Adams? which option did you buy, standard or advanced, etc how well is it holding up? after follow washing
I did xpel ultimate on the front bumper, fenders, hood, and mirror caps.
Covered the whole car in Adams "Graphene Ceramic Coating", seems to be holding up fine to weekly auto car washes, but honestly not sure its any better than cheap-o avalon king

Reactions: Mayer
Anyone have experience with Fireball line of ceramic products?

And why does price increase by more than a thousand dollars for application of one product to another, within the same product line; price gouging by installer or does cost of materials increase that much within a product line?

I’m having trouble finding prices for the product, and can only find prices from installers, so I assume it’s impossible for the consumer to buy the product, and therefore the true cost is concealed from consumers.

I've done several ceramic coatings myself between cquartz & opticoat over the years. I paid to have the Tesla done professionally with Ceramic Pro "5 year" coating but even as anal as I am (handwashing only, 2 bucket method) the coating didn't live up to the 5 years even with regular maintenance. Probably closer to 3. I didn't think the 10-15% better paint correction and the ceramic pro was worth the extra money over the previous times I've done it myself for a fraction of the cost so I just recently redid my Model S and Lexus with Carpro Cquartz UK3 and topped with Gliss. I've never used a top coat before but def seems like its worth it. If you do the coating yourself doing the topper isn't required. Expected life of cquartz is around 2 years which to me is fine considering the 'pro' coating didn't far surpass that. I've never heard of the coating brand you posted but probably just another one of those using buzzword 'graphine coating'. I paid about 1k for paint correction & ceramic pro several years ago as opposed to about $120 to buy gliss and uk 3.0. I already have my own claybar, machine polisher pads & compounds.

Reactions: kpanda17 and Mayer
To be totally fair, there is value in having someone do the prep and application of a coating, but a 4 figure price and a multi-year warranty is comical.
Can you give a short review of CQuartz? which option did you buy, 30ml, 50ml, etc how well is it holding up? after follow washing
I used CQuartz UK 3.0. It went on and off pretty easily after I did a wash and an IPA wipe. I didn't bother with paint correction. I did find a few high spots that I missed though. Those never go away unless you remove them with compound. On my 2015 I did two coats. I kept my car garaged, and I felt like it lasted about a year, maybe a year and a half. It seemed like the mirrors and roof take the biggest beating. I bought the 50ml bottle and it was still more than enough for me to do two coats on the MS and one on my Miata. I bought a 30ml bottle for my 2019 and just did a single coat back in January. It still seems to be doing well. I plan to do another coat in January again. I don't know if it matters, but I only use Wash Wax ALL to clean the car.

Reactions: kpanda17
To be totally fair, there is value in having someone do the prep and application of a coating, but a 4 figure price and a multi-year warranty is comical.

I used CQuartz UK 3.0. It went on and off pretty easily after I did a wash and an IPA wipe. I didn't bother with paint correction. I did find a few high spots that I missed though. Those never go away unless you remove them with compound. On my 2015 I did two coats. I kept my car garaged, and I felt like it lasted about a year, maybe a year and a half. It seemed like the mirrors and roof take the biggest beating. I bought the 50ml bottle and it was still more than enough for me to do two coats on the MS and one on my Miata. I bought a 30ml bottle for my 2019 and just did a single coat back in January. It still seems to be doing well. I plan to do another coat in January again. I don't know if it matters, but I only use Wash Wax ALL to clean the car.
Love the MX5.
I’ve owned 4, the first purchased in ‘94 and the last in ‘06, then a Boxster a few years ago. I really like the new models but will likely wait for the Tesla. 🤗

Measuring a coatings durability by the mere passage of time is a fool's errand; mileage with a consideration of climate, maintenance routines and driving environment are a far better measure of coating quality. Given the same coating, a car that drives 3000 miles a year on local roads in a relatively moderate climate such as California will fare far better than a car driven 10k miles a year on the freeways of Buffalo, NY.

Coatings do have value though although like many things, it depends on your personal preferences. Coatings are beneficial in providing long-term good looks, ease of maintenance and enhanced resistance to environmental and chemical contamination. What won't coatings do? Provide any real measure of scratch resistance or leave you with a car you'll never have to wash again.

The differences between coatings of different brands/ratings? A bit of subjective looks perhaps, some self-cleaning/anti-fouling surface behavior, longevity, feel...many attributes separate one from another.

Some thoughts on Paint Protection Film vs Ceramic Coatings has some more ino: PPF or ceramic coatings

I like clean cars but really don't like cleaning cars so ceramics work well for me. Things that mattered to me when I was looking for 'my' best product:

• Great Self Cleaning Abilities: Our cars see rain and often get rained on in the morning and then sit outside in the sun in the afternoon; don’t like waterspots. I like clean cars but don’t like cleaning cars.
  • Durability and resistance to environmental contamination like water spots and bird bombs. Don’t wanna have to worry about running home and immediately dealing with removing things that would otherwise etch bare paint. Like hard water spots did to one of our cars during the Zaino years. Also has to last cuz I don’t wanna be hauling out compounds and polishes every Spring, given reasonable maintenance.
  • Appearance: Well, stuff has to look good. Has to accentuate body lines, curves and hard edges. It needs to make me stop and admire it when walking towards it, walking away from it or catching a glance in the garage when I take out the garbage.
  • Easy to use: Work smarter, not harder. While I’m occasionally willing to put up w/ some application difficulties, why do so when you can find something that meets your needs and is easy to use. Work smarter, not harder.
What's the absolute best coating in all the world? Well, there is no such thing...far too subjective to determine. That said, tried a bunch to find the best coating for me: Glass/Quartz/Ceramic Coatings – Kamikaze Miyabi, ISM, Zipang, NV Nova EVO, 22ple, Cquartz, Gtechniq CSL, EXO and more.

Anyone can DIY a ceramic coating if they like with a moderate investment in time and tools. Are ceramics 'snake oil'? For some, yes but for others they can be quite beneficial. Some folks only need their phone to tell time, others like Timex others like Rolex...no single answer. Find something you like and use it often.

Reactions: kpanda17