Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Gen 1 to Gen 2 Model 3 Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 Model 3 had an accident where the sunroof was broken and water got into it before I could get it towed out. Over the last year, the heat, and I'm guessing oils from the body, plus the water that sat on the interior for a few days, degraded the pleather, and a lot of the car started peeling. Both seat cushions were getting sticky, gummy, and peeling, the center console as well. The steering wheel was shiny and lost all of its grip.

I decided to replace a lot of these parts, and decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my center console to the Gen 2.

Here are some before pictures
93BBB536-FBBA-473D-A84F-7DB2B62CED81.jpg340628615_937466114262795_3414295278244861310_n.jpeg340636194_201441992632469_9082392612197718023_n.jpegFD0F6C7A-1856-463F-A986-62BB6E7227D4.jpg

Here's the after pictures

IMG_0478.jpgIMG_0323.jpgIMG_0364.jpg

(yes, I'm aware the car is still dirty, going to get it detailed this weekend, removing all those parts took out a lot of grime and stuff from deep crevices)

Not a great video, but I tried to quickly recap how seamless the process was to replace the center console

When you received your upgraded concole, did it comes with new keys? I just received mine and it came with cards. Also, I haven't looked yet but are the two storage usb ports data also?
1. you will want to transfer/swap old RFID key reader (underneath drink holder) to the new console. If you don't do this, car has to be reprogrammed. This requires partially dissassembling both new and old consoles. The cards provided are probably just extras.

2. USB-C center console module only supported data for a short period of time. It's a restricted part (1755200-00-B), Tesla won't sell it to you but there are some on eBay. You'll know if the module supports data if it has a mini USB port like in the picture below. My car is a 2019 without glove box USB port - i ended up buying 1755200-00-B off eBay and data (sentry mode, etc) works from the USB-C ports in console. They were under $100 but now the cheapest I'm seeing is $125-$175.

This thread has tons of additional information 2021 Center Console Retrofit

data.jpg

Thank you for this Adam. I did have full intention of swapping out the card reader as per the instructions on this site. I just didn't know if others got new cards or not. I guess it doesn't really matter.
As for the data module, I was able to order one directly from TESLA. I picked it up today and looked at it to make sure it has the micro USB connection which it does.
I plan on doing the swap this weekend, hopefully I don't end up with two data modules LOL. I guess I can always sell it if I don't need it.
My only fear right now it that I don't have a data cable to connect to the module as part of the new console. I'll have to look at that next.

It was 1/3 the cost that other are asking for. And I paid Canadian!
If the original console has that cable I'll reuse it. If it doesn't fit, I guess I'll order one ... I think I priced that cable out ( 1100827-00-C) but since the numbers don't match yours, I guess I have the wrong part number.

Reactions: Adam3
It was 1/3 the cost that other are asking for. And I paid Canadian!
If the original console has that cable I'll reuse it. If it doesn't fit, I guess I'll order one ... I think I priced that cable out ( 1100827-00-C) but since the numbers don't match yours, I guess I have the wrong part number.
Good deal, no wonder people "flip" Tesla parts on eBay.

1100827-00-C is the same part as 3664950 / 35077909. I am seeing all three part #s being referenced in the same data cable listings.

Good deal, no wonder people "flip" Tesla parts on eBay.

1100827-00-C is the same part as 3664950 / 35077909. I am seeing all three part #s being referenced in the same data cable listings.
Ah cool! I have the quote for the cable already so should be quick enough to order worst case. I just would hate to take everything apart to have to put it back in only to take it all apart after the cable comes in. Fingers crossed the original one fits from ver. 1.0
:)

Ah cool! I have the quote for the cable already so should be quick enough to order worst case. I just would hate to take everything apart to have to put it back in only to take it all apart after the cable comes in. Fingers crossed the original one fits from ver. 1.0
:)
You can "install" the data cable while the console is completely together. It gets fished through the bottom by the rear HVAC duct. I ended up loosening the duct to secure it better with zip ties, but it's not required. I fully wrapped the cable in fabric tape so that it doesn't rattle if it happens to touch some plastic.

The TPARTS amazon listing has pictures and video of how you access the data module while console is assembled:

You can "install" the data cable while the console is completely together. It gets fished through the bottom by the rear HVAC duct. I ended up loosening the duct to secure it better with zip ties, but it's not required. I fully wrapped the cable in fabric tape so that it doesn't rattle if it happens to touch some plastic.

The TPARTS amazon listing has pictures and video of how you access the data module while console is assembled:

Nice, looks simple enough. Also the cable looks like it's a simple micro usb cable too. Nothing too special.
I just swapped out the module, but TESLA doesn't provide you with the removal tool so I just used an alan key ... did the trick.

Well tomorrow I'll attempt the swap and see how she goes. It's good that the USB can be run after the fact though. At least if needed I can drive the TESLA to pick up any parts I might need :D

Thanks for the information!

Just wrapped up. Can't believe how easy that was. I used the USB cable from the original console and it fits as expected. I was a little scared when my teslausb wasn't immediately recognized and thought I had to go back to a regular USB, but I guess it took a little longer to sync with my server because after driving away from the house, it started to work :).

Thanks again. Next up, swivel screen now that it won't interfere with the flip up lid from v1 :).
Yeah a regular mini USB cable will also work (that is what TPARTS provides). I decided to go with the Tesla branded cable so that it securely clips into place on both ends.

@borland

Tried to PM you but I guess my account doesn't have permission yet. You seem to be pretty experienced with this upgrade.

I've done the swap over but I'm finding the USBC ports are sleeping with the car, and when the car wakes it doesn't resume the data flow. So I have to soft reboot every time to re-enable the USB ports (I used the AbstractOcean data module, i've got a replacement in case it was the unit, but the fault remains)

Wondering if I've plugged something in incorrectly? If sentry stays on, so do the ports and I'm without issue, but I can't leave it on permanently :(

2019 Fremont Model 3