Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 to Tesla Adapter is being developed by Tesla Korea Club.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
The CCS growing faster than Chademo thing must be a regional thing. In BC they are pretty much even other than Electrify Canada approach which is motivated by VW marketing and not real EV market. The number one EV brand in BC is Tesla and the number two brand is Nissan (Leaf). Both Chademo compatible. Wouldn’t make sense to have just a CCS handle at any location. Up here a Chademo adapter is your friend if you want to meander off the main Transa Canada highway.

• Informative
Reactions: Aphinity and GSP
The CCS growing faster than Chademo thing must be a regional thing. In BC they are pretty much even other than Electrify Canada approach which is motivated by VW marketing and not real EV market. The number one EV brand in BC is Tesla and the number two brand is Nissan (Leaf). Both Chademo compatible. Wouldn’t make sense to have just a CCS handle at any location. Up here a Chademo adapter is your friend if you want to meander off the main Transa Canada highway.
It is a similar thing. Lots and lots of old Chademo. The reason CCS is "growing faster" is really about the 150kW CCS stalls going in. Well some of them have 350kW capability, too, but there's something like 100 vehicles total in the entire country that have a chance at utilizing those about 150kW.

Pretty much all the new installs are dual standard. I believe CA and maybe OR and WA have some new Chademo only going in but that's Nissan projects. However because so much of this is Electrify America all the locations are one 50kW Chademo cable on a 150kW CCS/Chademo charger, sometimes with a J-1772 cable as well, and the others at the location are CCS-only.

EDIT: Little surprised about the Leaf. In the US the Bolt is still edging out the Leaf in new car sales last I heard, although not all of those are CCS capable.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1 and TomB985
Except that it's limited to 50kW (since it's just a repackaged Tesla Chademo adapter). Native CCS would be much faster with a Tesla (as seen in Europe).
It is an early, low hanging fruit hack. Vaguely in the range of being an Urban SC.

Conceptually still sound, and so makes sense to extend it in that manner if you're going to put the engineering into it.

I think there would be a lot of demand in the USA for an official adapter from Tesla... especially if it was $100 or less!

I would be slightly worried about any 3rd party solution though because Tesla might be able to disable charging with it, or at least limit it to level 2 speeds. There’s some communication with the Chademo adapter to the car, so Tesla can use that as a validation indicator... obviously the superchargers talk to the car... if a 3rd party adapter didn’t talk to the car Tesla could potentially either block the car from charging (though they might then have issues with their passive level 2 adapter) or more likely just limit charge rate to level 2 speeds. This would “control the risk” that Tesla was exposed to. Could you imagine the headlines if a Model 3 burst into flames and burned down a charger, the car, and maybe some surrounding area? Tesla would be the fall guy, even if it was a knock off adapter from some 3rd party...

I would pay $450 for it today...

I have been holding off buying the Tesla Chademo adapter hoping and praying they will release a CCS adapter, and hoping it will be capable of at least 150 kW charging speeds. At $500 I might buy one, at $400 I’d probably buy one, at $300 or less I’d order it immediately.

You may as well stop holding off, that is not going to happen. CCS in the united states has a no Adapter requirement due to the need for Liquid cooling which cannot be accomplished through an adapter. If someone ignores that and makes one they will have to cap it at around Chademo speeds due to lacking the liquid cooling.

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki
I hear ya. It would be nice. Even 100 kw would be nice. Chademo or CCS makes no difference to me.
CHAdeMO is bulky, low volume, and on the way out in the marketplace. So even ignoring the elephant in the room of power, CCS adapters are a far better choice.

And yes, I realize that BC is currently adding CHAdeMO and CCS in equal numbers but the world is overwhelmingly installing CCS so you can expect BC to change its installation choices sooner rather than later. It is just a question of following the market. My crystal ball does not tell me whether Tesla will win the plug wars or join CCS2 outside of Europe, but CHAdeMO is not even in the discussion

Last edited:
CHAdeMO is bulky, low volume, and on the way out in the marketplace. So even ignoring the elephant in the room of power, CCS adapters are a far better choice.

And yes, I realize that BC is currently adding CHAdeMO and CCS in equal numbers but the world is overwhelmingly installing CCS so you can expect BC to change its installation choices sooner rather than later. It is just a question of following the market. My crystal ball does not tell me whether Tesla will win the plug wars or join CCS2 outside of Europe, but CHAdeMO is not even in the discussion

Even in BC CCS is taking a slight lead because of Electrify Canada. It’ll be a slow enough transmission and won’t affect those of us with either Chademo cars or Chademo adapters. But I’m willing to bet that our next Tesla will probably have a CCS port...or have an available CCS adapter. Like I say, we don’t care, as long as we have an alternative to Superchargers as they are kind of scarce in the places we travel. Course our next Tesla is probably 5 to 7 years away so.....

I'm not taking that bet.

By the way, are you happy with your Tesla in BC ?

We are. Great car. Jarvis (my wife named him) is doing everything we need him to do. Honestly I miss the leafs hatchback every time I pack up our little ryobi electric mower to cut our rental properties grass. But it’s no big deal in the big scheme of things. Fold down the handle and bungy it. The slower Chademo hasn’t affected us much because of where we take our breaks. And at least one new Supercharger is coming in the next year that will be perfect for one trip we make. No problems so far. Had a ranger visit for a problem we didn’t know we had but Tesla did. Camera learning thing. The problem was gone by the time the ranger arrived. I asked him for some guidance on an intermittent rattle in the dash. He contacted Tesla who authorized him to look at it. He pulled the dash off in 5 minutes (scary to watch) did something with some foamy stuff, put it back together and hasn’t rattled since. I’ll miss the heated steering wheel this fall but meh. Overall great experience.

Retirement came a year early because of Covid, maybe a couple months of work left. So we are now a one car family. We loved our leaf and were happy to see it go to a good home and be used in a daily commuter systym. After 4 years it was still a 12 bar battery and was in new condition. I wouldn’t hesitate to get a new Leaf Plus as a second vehicle again.....but let’s hope that doesn’t happen because that would mean I came out of early retirement. We are late 50’s and looking forward to the extra freedom we have to see some places we haven’t got to see yet....and of course thankful for the Tesla to take us there.

• Love
Reactions: HyperionMark
I don’t know that it’s really settled yet. The Monthly Plug Sales Scoreboard is apparently gone because they can’t get a lot of the data now, but Tesla is still outselling all the real long range EVs by a lot, and has a much bigger Charging network.

Unless that situation changes, Tesla plugs stand a pretty good chance of becoming the defacto US standard regardless of what the standards body run by the other automakers decides.

Unless another major manufacture works with Tesla to use Tesla's plug, I don't see the Tesla connector being the standard when every other manufacture is using the CCS Combo 2 in the US already.

Reactions: Aphinity
Considering the Chademo adapter is like $500, I don't how the CCS adapter could be $100-$250.

CHAdeMO Adapter

Addressed upthread here:
Possibly. I think the Tesla one is largely expected to be more in the $100 range and passive (in the sense that it’s much less tech in the adapter compared to the Chademo one which basically has a computer in it...)

At least the EU cars have the necessary communication and handshake protocols and hardware built into the vehicle charger so the adapter sold there is essentially a “dumb” one like the level 2 adapter...