Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Interop Testing Video & some MCS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Interesting video showing a recent CCS interoperability testing meet up. Supposedly, Tesla is going to adopt the MCS standard (they haven't yet), according to the Charin person they had talking. Presumably that would be for semi.

Apparently, the CCS spec isn't the best written and it causes confusion for developers both on the car side and charger side, thus the need for interop testing. As Tesla's NACS moves into the heterogenous world, it'll be interesting to see how well that spec is written and whether Tesla will end up with similar interop issues.

Since true NACS uses CCS electrical and digital protocols, rather than Teslas traditional and proprietary protocols, Tesla will have their own interpretation of CCS as well. So far they seem to be doing a good job at the Euro and MagicDock sites. The only complaints I've read about have been with some Hyundai/Kia models. Though I haven't bothered to delve into their respective user forums to see if the problems are on Teslas side or Hyundai/Kias side.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
The only complaints I've read about have been with some Hyundai/Kia models. Though I haven't bothered to delve into their respective user forums to see if the problems are on Teslas side or Hyundai/Kias side.
From what I have seen there is an interaction between the DC-DC converter that Tesla uses in the Supercharger and the DC-DC converter, actually their drive inverter, that Hyundai/Kia use to convert the 400v from the Supercharger to the 800v that their battery pack needs; that causes some kind of ripple that could potentially cause damage so Tesla has temporarily limited them to charge at ~50kW. (Prior to the limit the Supercharger detected the issue and shut the charging down to prevent damage.) That same rumor has said that Tesla is going to update the Supercharger software to resolve the issue. But it is possible that Hyundai/Kia might need to do something as well.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Supposedly, Tesla is going to adopt the MCS standard (they haven't yet), according to the Charin person they had talking. Presumably that would be for semi.
The Tesla semi truck ports, and the stations at the Pepsi warehouses do use MCS, although it's a slightly older version of the MCS plug that is rectangular shape (I think it's a version 2 or 2.5?), rather than this newer next generation triangle shape (version 3.0?)

Reactions: MP3Mike