Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

CBS News Sunday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From David Pogue's (NYT Technology columnist) Thursday email:

(P.S.--My special report on the birth of the electric car, including the Tesla and the Chevy Volt, is scheduled to air this weekend on "CBS News Sunday Morning." The show's lineup isn't set in stone--the segment could get bumped to next week--but at the moment, this Sunday is the plan.)

Last edited:
It doesn't appear that the episode aired.

It got bumped to next week:

Birth of the electric car on CBS Sunday morning
Posted Sep 1st 2007 12:58PM by Lascelles Linton
Filed under: EV/Plug-in

Update: David Pogue himself writes in an AutoblogGreen comment that the segment has indeed been bumped to next week, Sept 9. Thanks for the update David! We look forward to the piece.David Pogue writes a column for the New York Times on gadgets. He also works for CBS Sunday Morning. He mentioned he would be doing a piece about electric cars this weekend on CBS Sunday Morning. It could be bumped but it's scheduled to air this weekend. I will report back on what's said. For now, here's Pogue's preview:"P.S.--My special report on the birth of the electric car, including the Tesla and the Chevy Volt, is scheduled to air this weekend on "CBS News Sunday Morning." The show's lineup isn't set in stone--the segment could get bumped to next week--but at the moment, this Sunday is the plan."[Source: New York Times]...
Read Permalink Email this Linking Blogs Comments [2]

I caught the end of the show where they play (now) 30 seconds of nature footage (used to be several minutes)
I clicked on my Tivo "Info" button and the show description said among other things that the episode had an Electic car segment but the on-set graphic (a clear plexiglass wall with letters) did not say anything about EVs so I figured that thy bumped it again...

Anyone confrim?

It finally aired!

"Current Affairs"

Good coverage. Focus on GM Volt & Tesla Roadster.

Chris Paine says that he is working on the sequel to WKTEC: "Who Saved the Electric Car?" !!!

Last edited:
Yes. . . I'd heard elsewhere that Paine was working on a sequel, it's good to know that's still on.

I caught the CBS segment on my tivo and watched it a few times. I like Pogue. He always manages to put a humorous twist on things -- but also gets his facts right. Although it was light on details (as you'd expect from morning TV news), there were no really significant errors. That's quite an accomplishment when you compare against typical coverage these days.

It's a shame this didn't appear on NBC, they've gone to hi-definition over there. Anyhow, it's the first really good video footage I've seen of the Electric Blue car in action. Man. . . Both the blue one and the red one look gorgeous, don't they?

I watched it again and found one minor complaint. When David goes from the Tesla to the Volt describing it as an Electric.

I'm sorry, but with a forty mile range, the Volt is a Hybrid. A serial Hybrid. It sounds like David may have fallen for Lutz' spin.

Other than that I thought it was a great EV primer for the new generation. Great work David!

Last edited:
I watched it again and found one minor complaint. When David goes from the Tesla to the Volt describing it as an Electric.

I didn't even notice. The Volt isn't an "electric car" as such, but it's a PHEV which is very close relative.

I noticed that Vijay Vaitheeswaran repeated the old claim that producing corn ethanol requires more fossil fuels than the gasoline it displaces. Some people will vigorously dispute that. I think the better and more recent studies show that there is some positive energy gain from corn ethanol -- though it's not enough gain to make ethanol a compelling solution to our oil problems.

Producing ethanol from corn makes a co-product called distiller's grain which is a useful component in lifestock feed. So, the same grain is fueling cars, but also contributing to food production at the same time. See here: http://www.ddgs.umn.edu/

Also, he didn't even mention cellulosic ethanol, which is what all the big ethanol supporters are hanging their hopes on.

I'm not a huge fan of ethanol, as I think many people are pushing it for the wrong reasons. I do see it potentially having some useful role in the future. Spreading misinformation about it -- either positive or negative -- isn't helpful.