Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Pricing Raffle -- Three Tesla Prizes, Three Cash Prizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like your license plate.:D I hope it will easily transfer to your new car if you win. Actually I don't know the process in Florida either.
Thanks, and same to you, lol! Yeah, got it to snap it up before someone else did in Virginia. :D Transferring plates is no problem at here, and just waiting to see which car we can get when at this point.

Sold out. Thank you! As in, Thank You, TMC!

Drawing is tonight @ 7:30. BBQ @ 5:30. After the drawing, you could walk down to the Esplanade and enjoy the fireworks and listen to the Boston Pops! Please RSVP on the website (carbonraffle.org) if you plan to attend. We *will* be checking a list at the entrance. Admission is free. You do NOT have to be a raffle ticket holder to RSVP and attend. Families welcome!

Alan

Too tired to answer in detail for each post... sorry... please PM me or repeat question sometime Wednesday and I'll follow up. Too much to do today.

Quick stuff - ticket gauge - oh you'll like this one. :) Around about 11 a.m. ET we were down to maybe a dozen tickets. And somebody finally noticed that the ticket speedometer looked... maxed out! The number of available tickets was so small that the gauge looked like we were done. We had no idea if people were looking at that and thinking, dammit, I'm too late. So we turned the speedometer OFF because we really didn't have time to do anything else.

And then watched like hawks and plugged in the thank-you page as soon as the last ticket was gone because we didn't want people clicking the buy button and getting pissed off.

And then put the ticket meter back. :)

As for the two Model 3s... excellent question but yeah not happening this year. We want to wrap up the BIG prize in fiscal 2017 which for CXC is calendar 2017. And we can also wrap up 2nd and 3rd prizes in 2017 because we will move the cash, Model 3 reservation, etc., to the winner ASAP, after which the winner can decide whether to order the initial Model 3 right away or dilly-dally until options become available like AWD. If we build the Model 3s into the Grand Prize **as things totally paid for by us** then we can't wrap until the Model 3 becomes available and we pay for it, which could easily drift into 2018 no matter what. We don't control it. (Also true for 2nd and 3rd, just because the reservations are early doesn't mean that Tesla is yet prepared to deliver in 2017.)

In a future year, with increased predictability, it may be possible to do Model 3s for the Grand Prize.

Alan

P.S. 4th, 5th, 6th prizes all being cash -- easy to wrap up quickly.

Reactions: MMC- and CatB
Too tired to answer in detail for each post... sorry... please PM me or repeat question sometime Wednesday and I'll follow up. Too much to do today.

Quick stuff - ticket gauge - oh you'll like this one. :) Around about 11 a.m. ET we were down to maybe a dozen tickets. And somebody finally noticed that the ticket speedometer looked... maxed out! The number of available tickets was so small that the gauge looked like we were done. We had no idea if people were looking at that and thinking, dammit, I'm too late. So we turned the speedometer OFF because we really didn't have time to do anything else.

And then watched like hawks and plugged in the thank-you page as soon as the last ticket was gone because we didn't want people clicking the buy button and getting pissed off.

And then put the ticket meter back. :)

As for the two Model 3s... excellent question but yeah not happening this year. We want to wrap up the BIG prize in fiscal 2017 which for CXC is calendar 2017. And we can also wrap up 2nd and 3rd prizes in 2017 because we will move the cash, Model 3 reservation, etc., to the winner ASAP, after which the winner can decide whether to order the initial Model 3 right away or dilly-dally until options become available like AWD. If we build the Model 3s into the Grand Prize **as things totally paid for by us** then we can't wrap until the Model 3 becomes available and we pay for it, which could easily drift into 2018 no matter what. We don't control it. (Also true for 2nd and 3rd, just because the reservations are early doesn't mean that Tesla is yet prepared to deliver in 2017.)

In a future year, with increased predictability, it may be possible to do Model 3s for the Grand Prize.

Alan

P.S. 4th, 5th, 6th prizes all being cash -- easy to wrap up quickly.
Alan, thanks for taking the time to clarify, and excellent on selling out of tickets! Have a great time today, and I hope to get a phone call from you later on! :D

I'm torn because since they sold out my odds are the worst they can be...BUT this means that they're most likely going to do another one in the future which means more day dreaming for me!

Thank you! And thanks to all who bought tickets, publicized in some way (especially you guys with the car stickers), badgered your neighbor or co-worker to buy a ticket, shared on social media, or just posted in a thread, drawing more attention to it! I thought from the start we'd sell out, but admit I had sincere doubts during the month of June.

Good luck to all - I'm vacationing with family in Europe so don't think I'll stay up to watch the drawing.

We have momentum in MA and are starting to see it in other states. We can do this, and the Model 3 rollout starting later this month will help.

Reactions: MMC- and boaterva
...thank @PeterK, who is way too modest to ever let on how he contributed to all aspects of the raffle, over the entire duration, including the genius concept of the early Model 3 reservation, all while handling major family and business responsibilities. @PeterK is also a Board member... but you probably wouldn't know it. :)

...THANK TMC! The board/website/forum itself. Daniel and Doug. The community. The active members who contributed of themselves and their time with suggestions, encouragement, spreading the message, decals, flying boxes of postcards from coast to coast, connecting us up with other opportunities, advancing the goal of enacting carbon pricing legislation somewhere in this country, namely Massachusetts! Not to mention, the many people who took a chance on our little raffle... contributing funds for the mission!

There are fireworks over the Boston skyline as I type this. There have been redcoats and colonists running all over the city today. Somewhere around 200,000 people are gathered on the Esplanade and the bridges over the Charles River to gaze rapturously at the fireworks and enjoy the sounds of the Boston Pops orchestra. Not to get too maudlin, but quietly we're funding and moving on our own little revolutions -- electrification of transport, renewables, carbon pricing.

Thank you all so very much!

Alan

P.S. I guess I've said all there is to say now, huh? Time for bed. G'night.

Reactions: astrothad
THE WINNERS OF THE 2017 CLIMATE XCHANGE CARBON PRICING AWARENESS RAFFLE!!!

Grand Prize - Model S or X @ $120K + federal income tax withholding payment @ $40K = $160K

Ticket #1344, Michael Fowler, of Chicago, Illinois​

2nd Prize - early Model 3 reservation + $1K deposit + $10K cash + fed inc tax pmt @ $3666 = $14,666

Ticket #1925, Ann Campbell, of Prosper, Texas​

3rd Prize - early Model 3 reservation + $1K deposit + $5K cash + fed inc tax pmt @ $2000 = $8,000

Ticket #2047, Bill Ravenesi, of Newton, Massachusetts​

4th Prize - $2K cash (ok, check)

Ticket #46, Tim Neumark, of Falling Waters, West Virginia​

5th Prize - $1K cash (ok, check)

Ticket #31, Brett Schorsch, of San Jose, California​

6th Prize - $1K cash (ok, check)

Ticket #1213, Abraham Farkas, of Suffern, New York​

Congratulations to our 2017 Winners and thanks again to all of TMC!

Pollux aka Alan

THE WINNERS OF THE 2017 CLIMATE XCHANGE CARBON PRICING AWARENESS RAFFLE!!!

Grand Prize - Model S or X @ $120K + federal income tax withholding payment @ $40K = $160K

Ticket #1344, Michael Fowler, of Chicago, Illinois​

2nd Prize - early Model 3 reservation + $1K deposit + $10K cash + fed inc tax pmt @ $3666 = $14,666

Ticket #1925, Ann Campbell, of Prosper, Texas​

3rd Prize - early Model 3 reservation + $1K deposit + $5K cash + fed inc tax pmt @ $2000 = $8,000

Ticket #2047, Bill Ravenesi, of Newton, Massachusetts​

4th Prize - $2K cash (ok, check)

Ticket #46, Tim Neumark, of Falling Waters, West Virginia​

5th Prize - $1K cash (ok, check)

Ticket #31, Brett Schorsch, of San Jose, California​

6th Prize - $1K cash (ok, check)

Ticket #1213, Abraham Farkas, of Suffern, New York​

Congratulations to our 2017 Winners and thanks again to all of TMC!

Pollux aka Alan
Would the real Michael Fowler please stand up?

A few quick factoids.

Our Executive Director, Michael Green, has personally notified all winners. That happened last Tuesday night and Wednesday. I followed up personally with a couple of them as I was on the road Thursday. I think all of the first three winners are going to go for the vehicles, although they're all working through their personal/family calculations about timing, what makes the most sense, etc. The fact that we biased the prizes towards the cars is having an impact on winners' thinking but it's a small impact. Basically, people want the cars.

Example, grand prize with car valued @ $160K total, including us paying the fed inc tax withholding pmt but grand prize as cash-only is $100K less $25K immediate withholding payment. Our thinking was that somebody who really wanted cash but had some time to play with could work with us to purchase a car and then sell it quickly, maximizing the cash (and we'd still pay the federal income tax withholding payment). Somebody who was in dire straights could immediately get the all-cash prize, putting $75K in someone's hands within 10 business days or so. And it turned out that there were at least a couple of stories out there, people who purchased tickets on behalf of other people and *those* people were EV aficionados who had serious stuff going on in their families where their immediate cash needs are severe. Unfortunately, none of those people won, but at least one has a Go Fund Me page that appears to be doing OK.

Fundamentally, our intent was to get another EV/Tesla out there driving around creating buzz & a story but also in case someone really needed cash we had a couple of ways to help them get there.

If anyone is curious, please feel free to ask questions about the prizes / delivery process / etc. If I feel like a question or topic verges on a winner's privacy, I'll say so. The raffle rules require the winners to let us use their name, home town, state and likeliness as part of our own materials, so at some point, we'll post that info on the raffle web site.

I appreciate the many well-wishes and kind words! In case anyone was wondering, the raffle doesn't really end with the drawing. We are now in the middle of the post-raffle cleanup period, which includes getting prizes into winners' hands, release forms, tax payments and filings, archiving physical and electronic materials, completion of audit processes and reports, and the list goes on and on. Prize delivery will be fairly quick for 4th, 5th and 6th prizes because they are checks. Delivery will probably take a bit longer for 2nd and 3rd prizes, but fundamentally is meant to be quick -- we'll put the pieces in the winners' hands and then they will handle the rest of the process of completing their orders and taking delivery. The longest delivery time is for the Grand Prize, where the winner has to make final decisions, finalize their order, then we can pay the deposit, then about a week before vehicle delivery we'll pay the balance. We then hang onto all the raffle materials for at least two years, per MA AG 940 CMR 12.04(1).

Alan

Reactions: boofagle and ModelX
If I wanted quick cash, I'd get the most loaded inventory 90D I could get, then flip that. With the deep discounts Tesla has on the 90s right now you could probably flip the car for close to what you paid for it and you'd get the tax credit on top of it.

Hi all, thank you again for participating in and otherwise supporting Climate XChange's raffle last year. @Pollux and I are now actively planning for the 2018 Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle, to be launched in September with a year-end (actually an hour or so into 2019) drawing. I will create a new thread soon and link from here. Stay tuned.

And thanks in advance for your support this year!

Peter