Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't update (2022.16.1.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 connects to wifi in my garage and has always just downloaded software updates automatically from there. I've noticed for the past SEVERAL weeks, it has had the orange "downloading" icon, but it never actually completes and prompts me to update. Finally after noticing this for weeks, I decided to check and watch for it to download, and I realized that my car was not connecting to wifi at all (wifi was on, but it couldn't find any signals, even my hotspot). I do a touchscreen reboot, and boom! wifi connects immediately. Great.

The download icon turns green, I leave my car, and assume the update will download. I go to my car the next day...and "downloading" arrow is still green, the car is still connected to wifi, but the progress bar has not budged one inch.

I figure maybe my home wifi is giving my car some trouble, so I leave the house, turn on my hotspot, connect to it, and try to keep downloading. The download arrow is green, again, and it even says downloading at like 749kb/s, but after waiting 15-20 minutes, I realize it has also not budged one bit (the entire time the progress bar has been roughly half filled).

I take the car back home, park it, make sure it's connected to wifi, and just leave it to see if it'll finally download the update on its own if I give it time. If I check the app, it says its "downloading" the update, but the % has not changed once (been at 54% this entire ordeal).

Anyone know why my car seems to be stuck downloading this update and/or how to fix it?

I had an issue with an update not completing. Wasn't the same error you had, but I just made a service request in-app and they were able to fix the update issue remotely.
I'm laughing at the fact that we have nearly IDENTICAL pictures of our cars as profile images hahaha. I actually didn't realize you could request service for software issues in app! I may try that if I don't see it show progress on the download by tomorrow

• Funny
Reactions: NotForResale
My model 3 connects to wifi in my garage and has always just downloaded software updates automatically from there. I've noticed for the past SEVERAL weeks, it has had the orange "downloading" icon, but it never actually completes and prompts me to update. Finally after noticing this for weeks, I decided to check and watch for it to download, and I realized that my car was not connecting to wifi at all (wifi was on, but it couldn't find any signals, even my hotspot). I do a touchscreen reboot, and boom! wifi connects immediately. Great.

The download icon turns green, I leave my car, and assume the update will download. I go to my car the next day...and "downloading" arrow is still green, the car is still connected to wifi, but the progress bar has not budged one inch.

I figure maybe my home wifi is giving my car some trouble, so I leave the house, turn on my hotspot, connect to it, and try to keep downloading. The download arrow is green, again, and it even says downloading at like 749kb/s, but after waiting 15-20 minutes, I realize it has also not budged one bit (the entire time the progress bar has been roughly half filled).

I take the car back home, park it, make sure it's connected to wifi, and just leave it to see if it'll finally download the update on its own if I give it time. If I check the app, it says its "downloading" the update, but the % has not changed once (been at 54% this entire ordeal).

Anyone know why my car seems to be stuck downloading this update and/or how to fix it?

Most of the time, people will say "just wait, you will get it eventually" BUT in the case you have laid out, it sounds to me like you have a "stuck / corrupt" update. I would suggest putting in a request for service in the app and put that the update shows up, but keeps pausing the download and wont install. They may have to trigger it again for you or do something to removed the cached version.

In your case, I believe your best course of action is to submit the service request, rather than "just wait" because it already tried to install and is not completing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shadnic
Most of the time, people will say "just wait, you will get it eventually" BUT in the case you have laid out, it sounds to me like you have a "stuck / corrupt" update. I would suggest putting in a request for service in the app and put that the update shows up, but keeps pausing the download and wont install. They may have to trigger it again for you or do something to removed the cached version.

In your case, I believe your best course of action is to submit the service request, rather than "just wait" because it already tried to install and is not completing.

Well now, weirdly enough, in the time since I've posted this, the progress has gone from 54%->58%, which...IS progress, but unbelievably slow. I have VERY fast internet (and can confirm it is working at its normal speed). I've never seen an update download at <2% per hour. Not sure if I just wait the remaining 21 hours for it to hopefully download, or still submit the service request.

Must be something with this particular update. Since getting the car in August 2019, every single firmware update has been downloaded via my phone's hotspot while driving (and them installed while parked).

Last week, I started downloading 2022.16.1.2 and it got stuck - first around 30% and then hard-stuck at around 50%. I did a couple of Touchscreen Resets (that's the official name of the double-thumbwheel reboot) and made several DL re-tries while driving. Finally gave up and set a service appointment on my phone on Monday. Within an hour, they cancelled the DL and sent a newer version of 2022.12.X to my car which I installed (I was already on 2022.12.X, but it was a slightly different build). Then yesterday, I got the 2022.16.1.2 update notice. Started downloading last night on the drive home and finished up this morning (normally a full DL only takes one 25-minute drive to complete) and I installed when I got to work.

Weird to see others having a very similar issue.

Must be something with this particular update. Since getting the car in August 2019, every single firmware update has been downloaded via my phone's hotspot while driving (and them installed while parked).

Last week, I started downloading 2022.16.1.2 and it got stuck - first around 30% and then hard-stuck at around 50%. I did a couple of Touchscreen Resets (that's the official name of the double-thumbwheel reboot) and made several DL re-tries while driving. Finally gave up and set a service appointment on my phone on Monday. Within an hour, they cancelled the DL and sent a newer version of 2022.12.X to my car which I installed (I was already on 2022.12.X, but it was a slightly different build). Then yesterday, I got the 2022.16.1.2 update notice. Started downloading last night on the drive home and finished up this morning (normally a full DL only takes one 25-minute drive to complete) and I installed when I got to work.

Weird to see others having a very similar issue.

Thats helpful feedback, thanks for chiming in. I remember that you were one who downloaded your updates in this manner, so are both very familiar with the process and its super relevant to the OP.

Thanks again.

My MY had a similar issue - resetting the screen by holding the 2 roller buttons on the steering wheel reconnected to the WiFi network

Same here first time I got the Update , it was installing and then i got Installation failed message. I contacted Tesla through the service request they confirmed that they reverted the update for me and thats the reason for failure and asked me to wait for couple of days for new update to be pushed.

TOday again i got the update this time it got stuck at 75% Downloading for a long time and then it just disappeared , have contated Tesla no response yet.
Both the times it was parked in my garage connected to my Wifi .

Same here first time I got the Update , it was installing and then i got Installation failed message. I contacted Tesla through the service request they confirmed that they reverted the update for me and thats the reason for failure and asked me to wait for couple of days for new update to be pushed.

TOday again i got the update this time it got stuck at 75% Downloading for a long time and then it just disappeared , have contated Tesla no response yet.
Both the times it was parked in my garage connected to my Wifi .
Hi! I have the same problem now, the update freezes at 75% and disappears. Did you manage to solve the problem?

Hi! I have the same problem now, the update freezes at 75% and disappears. Did you manage to solve the problem?
First, welcome to the boards!

Although it has been a while, when I have had the issue, one time, a Touchscreen Reset (the official name of the "double thumbwheel reboot") took care of it. Another time, several Resets didn't do anything so I opened a service ticket on the app and they reset the download remotely and it worked.