Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash with glass roof on the 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have put my model 3 through the touchless car wash - would never do the regular one! I saw no issues with a touchless but now you have me worried :)

Lol sorry. I think I create my own anxiety sometimes. The reason I thought if it is that my wife’s car has a windshield crack on it and when I took it through the touchless the crack expanded a little bit. Different situation because there was already a crack, but still! Has me a bit nervous about that huge piece of glass!

Reactions: C141medic
There are auto car washes that require you to exit the vehicle? I’ve never seen that before.
We have car washes that are brushless and instead have people inside that initially scrub before machines spray or rinse. The car is put on a conveyor (not a belt, but a roller pushes the tires), and you have to exit. Then it comes out and the car is detailed by a person.

I never thought about that. How DO you keep the car in neutral w/o it trying to outsmart you when you get out. My local full service touches car wash that i use a couple of times a year has that automatic machine that tows the car thru.

-Randy

I never thought about that. How DO you keep the car in neutral w/o it trying to outsmart you when you get out. My local full service touches car wash that i use a couple of times a year has that automatic machine that tows the car thru.

-Randy

I think Transport Mode (tow mode) is the primary option. (Owner Manual Page 143-144):

"Transport Mode keeps Model 3 in Neutral (which disengages the parking brake) while preventing damage to the rear motor as the wheels turn when pulling Model 3 onto a flatbed truck."

To activate Transport Mode:

1. Shift into Park.
  2. Chock the tires or otherwise ensure Model 3 is stable.
  3. Press and hold the brake pedal, then on the touchscreen touch Controls > Service > Towing. A message displays reminding you of how to properly transport Model 3.
  4. Hold the Transport Mode button until it turns blue. Model 3 is now free-rolling and can be rolled or winched.
To cancel Transport Mode, shift Model 3 into Park.

Caution: Transport Mode automatically cancels and the parking brake is applied if Model 3 is rolled faster than 5 mph
(8 km/h), 12V power is low, or if Transport Mode has been continuously enabled for 20 minutes. Model 3 sounds its horn to warn you that Transport Mode is about to cancel."​

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev
I think Transport Mode (tow mode) is the primary option. (Owner Manual Page 143-144):

"Transport Mode keeps Model 3 in Neutral (which disengages the parking brake) while preventing damage to the rear motor as the wheels turn when pulling Model 3 onto a flatbed truck."

To activate Transport Mode:

1. Shift into Park.
  2. Chock the tires or otherwise ensure Model 3 is stable.
  3. Press and hold the brake pedal, then on the touchscreen touch Controls > Service > Towing. A message displays reminding you of how to properly transport Model 3.
  4. Hold the Transport Mode button until it turns blue. Model 3 is now free-rolling and can be rolled or winched.
To cancel Transport Mode, shift Model 3 into Park.

Caution: Transport Mode automatically cancels and the parking brake is applied if Model 3 is rolled faster than 5 mph
(8 km/h), 12V power is low, or if Transport Mode has been continuously enabled for 20 minutes. Model 3 sounds its horn to warn you that Transport Mode is about to cancel."​
This sounds pretty complicated. The car wash I like to use is one where you get out. The problem is, you get out and give the car to an employee who details the inside. They then drive the car around to the wash. I would be very nervous about making sure they understand these steps. Can you leave the key card in place on the center console and then just shift to neutral and exit the car?