Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
"Because testing..."

2019.32.11 bac8c51

I'm sitting in the garage in my Model 3. The car has been in the garage for > 6 hours. The car is dry. It didn't rain today. I have my wipers set to Auto (blue unfilled oval).

I tried the following after holding the T and being prompted:
  1. car wash
  2. carwash
  3. car wash mode
  4. carwashmode
I don't know which one triggered it but my wipers are running every few seconds.

I tried flavors of the above to turn it back off, as well as adding "off" and " off" to no avail.

Turning off Auto makes it stop. Turning Auto back on resumes the steady pace of wiping.

I'm downloading 2019.32.11.1 now so hopefully that will make it stop doing this. If not, perhaps a reboot will.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
i'm... i'm lost as to the context of this thread. judging by your join date and post count you obviously have read something i haven't.
v10 (or a follow-on release) is reported to have a hidden car wash mode, which so far does not have a visible menu option to enable/disable. Holding down the T and entering a password/code is a clever attempt at accessing hidden features.

"Because testing..."

2019.32.11 bac8c51

I'm sitting in the garage in my Model 3. The car has been in the garage for > 6 hours. The car is dry. It didn't rain today. I have my wipers set to Auto (blue unfilled oval).

I tried the following after holding the T and being prompted:
  1. car wash
  2. carwash
  3. car wash mode
  4. carwashmode
I don't know which one triggered it but my wipers are running every few seconds.

I tried flavors of the above to turn it back off, as well as adding "off" and " off" to no avail.

Turning off Auto makes it stop. Turning Auto back on resumes the steady pace of wiping.

I'm downloading 2019.32.11.1 now so hopefully that will make it stop doing this. If not, perhaps a reboot will.
LOL. This is worthy of a direct Tweet to Elon. I hope you can restore normal Auto wiper functionality :eek:

It would be a pretty amazing coincidence if this has never happened to you before, and suddenly after playing around like you said you get the behavior you describe, but this kind of auto wiper behavior is not completely unexpected in my experience. Occasionally when I get in the car in the morning (after it's been in the garage overnight) the wipers will start until I get outside. I'm not sure why. Obviously the camera is seeing something that it thinks is rain (it's definitely not water!)

The same kind of thing happens occasionally after I get in my car after it's been parked outdoors at an event for a few hours.

I’ve had my wipers come on for no apparent reason several times. Sometimes it’s full speed on a sunny day and they don’t stop, other times they swipe a few times erratically. But oddly enough when it’s raining, they’re reluctant to do anything.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin