Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash For Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are very brave to do it Max.:wink:..I was about to mention your name in this thread but refrained ...I have seen your earlier posts where you posted that you take your car to regular car washes

I wouldn't call it brave, but I see the car as a tool, not a living room showpiece. I also plan to keep it until the power-train warranty runs out (which is about as long as I kept my previous car), so in 8-10 years and 150k-200k miles it wont have the "new car look" no matter how much I baby it now.

As a side note: I posted this in the Tesla moments thread a few months ago, a Lexus owner followed me in to a normal carwash and parked next to me and said "I usually use the brushless one down the street, but if a Tesla can come here, my Lexus can too"... oops.

ETA: And yes my car has rock chips, swirls and holograms. And unless you're inspecting the paint from a few inches away, you wont notice it. So it doesn't bother me, if that's something that will bother you, don't use a normal carwash, do get paint correction with xpel and opticoat.

I take it through a regular carwash :scared:

Me, too. Glad to know I am not alone! I live in a condo where we are not allowed to wash cars (and there is no available outside water near my parking space anyway). But I am fortunate to have a touchless (spray-only) wash place not too far from me. So far, the car still looks very good. (I do wipe it off with microfiber cloths and wash them afterwards.) No dings, no scratches, no brush swirls so far. But the cold weather is settling in and the salt is starting to cling to the car, and there won't be many days above freezing when I can get it washed, for the next few weeks. So I am sure the condition will begin to deteriorate. I love that it looks (almost) pristine now, but I am not "into" keeping it looking like a concours car, and as you said, it is a tool to be used.

- - - Updated - - -

And by the way, wouldn't this thread be better in the section on interior/exterior?

+1 for touchless carwash - never washed it by hand, no intention to do so in the future. 1 year and no complaints on the paint.

Another thing to remember is to select the option without underbody wash - this is specifically prohibited by Tesla. It is usually the cheapest option. I also find that not using the "wax" part in the more expensive wash actually leaves fewer streaks / swirl marks.

+1 for touchless carwash - never washed it by hand, no intention to do so in the future. 1 year and no complaints on the paint.

Another thing to remember is to select the option without underbody wash - this is specifically prohibited by Tesla. It is usually the cheapest option. I also find that not using the "wax" part in the more expensive wash actually leaves fewer streaks / swirl marks.

Oh, why would that be? I did not remember that and have indeed used underbody wash.
Looking in the manual just now, I see no prohibition about doing an underbody wash. In fact, it says you should wash the underbody if it has been exposed to salt.
Can you cite a source for Tesla prohibiting the underbody wash?

Last edited:
I've asked about underbody wash at the service center, as I heard or read somewhere that it shouldn't me done.
The tech agreed and stated while it probably wouldn't hurt, there are some vents and recesses under there that shouldn't be receiving a pressure stream.

I've done it anyway, only in winter. I figure water dries. Mag Chloride and all the other muck they spread on the roads corrode.

I wouldn't call it brave, but I see the car as a tool, not a living room showpiece. I also plan to keep it until the power-train warranty runs out (which is about as long as I kept my previous car), so in 8-10 years and 150k-200k miles it wont have the "new car look" no matter how much I baby it now.

ETA: And yes my car has rock chips, swirls and holograms. And unless you're inspecting the paint from a few inches away, you wont notice it. So it doesn't bother me, if that's something that will bother you, don't use a normal carwash, do get paint correction with xpel and opticoat.

I agree with Max. No matter how much you treat the paint with TLC, there's great risk of a rock chip, valet or parking lot scrape, bird stain, etc. Don't become a slave to your vehicle. Do watch youtube videos from The Junkman for an education on car washing but it's unlikely most car buffs can do over half of his "must do's".

I follow a few of Junkman's washing techniques, avoid car washes, park away from all other vehicles in lots, avoid valets, follow vehicles at long distances, and remove bird droppings quickly.

Choose the lesser of two evils: remove winter road salt (cold climates) at a good car wash vs leaving salt on vehicle. Observe extra caution to minimize wheel rash; consider protectors. Sadly, you can't control how your spouse treats the vehicle.

I was told by two different "pull-through" car wash companies that they cannot wash Teslas because they will automatically lock with nobody in the car. I was never aware of a tow mode--and maybe the car wash wasn't aware of it either. Note: the car washes I have taken the car to are the ones the pull the car through but the only touching is by humans with microfiber rags in the beginning. The automated part just involves rinsing and wax sprays and no-touch blow-drying. I had to pay for fully manual hand wash car washes twice when they said they couldn't run it through the automated system and that really gets pricy.

I was told by two different "pull-through" car wash companies that they cannot wash Teslas because they will automatically lock with nobody in the car. I was never aware of a tow mode--and maybe the car wash wasn't aware of it either. Note: the car washes I have taken the car to are the ones the pull the car through but the only touching is by humans with microfiber rags in the beginning. The automated part just involves rinsing and wax sprays and no-touch blow-drying. I had to pay for fully manual hand wash car washes twice when they said they couldn't run it through the automated system and that really gets pricy.

Put in neutral/tow mode and leave key inside vehicle? Thousands of Teslas go through automated car washes every week and those don't have any issues.