Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Stops for Traffic Light from the Past

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One road I travel frequently has been open only to one-way traffic for several years as repairs were done.

Road.jpg

During those years they had automated traffic lights or a flagger.

Recently, the road was repaired and opened to full, two-way traffic. The traffic lights are gone.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 7.50.47 AM.jpg

On FSDb, however, the car slows to about 10 MPH (speed limit is 55) at the locations where the traffic lights and flaggers used to be. I haven't let it actually stop.

Is it looking at map data? Some kind of neural net thing?

Maybe it's just slowing down to enjoy the view?

If it thought it was stopping for a traffic light, it likely would put up a message stating so. Otherwise, maybe there was something in the map data that has not been updated.

On my daily drive to work, two lanes road in each direction, the car always changes the lane to the right lane, even though it soon has to turn left. It is very consistent doing so. Some time ago, I noticed a brief message on the screen that the car is 'avoiding obstacle' even though the road was clear. I feel that there used to be construction at some point and that data somehow is still somewhere in the system. It is the same with some random speed limit changes on the highway. With latest FSDb 11.4.8.1 car got better recognizing speed limit signs and changing the speed accordingly, but there are still places where it lowers the speed limit even though there is no sign at all.

My best guess is that Tesla is using a variety of databases for driving. Map data, maybe multiple maps data, vision systems and maybe actual speed of cars driving? The question would be which data is prioritized if they don't all agree. I think that Tesla does not have a reliable way of updating the data set. I dontt think they have a system that would do something like that: the last x number of Teslas that drove past that point did not see any speed limit sign, so let's remove it. Maybe it will become a reality at some point. With HW4 higher resolution cameras and more computation available in all the cars as they simplify the code with AI, I hope there would be less and less of these problems.