Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Car shut down after car wash, Tesla says oil pump seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took our older RWD LR model 3 through a no-touch car wash and about 2 miles later, it flashed a bunch of errors and then refused to move again once I stopped. Then after about 30 minutes, it started working again and was fine all weekend. I drove it to service and Tesla says, "Upon diagnoses, we have found that the oil pump seal is defective."

Not a big deal, but I wonder if that isn't the real problem? I can't find any info, but I don't think the oil pump is on the high voltage supply. I assumed the problem would be a high voltage electrical connection that wasn't fully sealed. Once it got wet, there'd be some current leak that the car would sense and shut down. I don't think 12V would have much measurable leakage current with water ingress, so I wouldn't have expected the problem to be on the 12V side.

Any thoughts?

The oil pump is definitely 12V. I wouldn't think water ingress into the pump or connector would be an issue that quickly. Based on the few people that had the pump fail, it didn't throw a bunch of codes and the car was drive-able. It wouldn't make a lot of sense the pump would seal a leakage path to HV. Maybe they're being slightly vague since the real issue is a bad look?

Luckily at least, this doesn't appear to be a common thing. Presumably it should be fixed when it leaves.

So what is it lubricating? It's not like Tesla has a tranny ...

Its lubricating the differential and reduction drive, as well as providing cooling for the motor assembly. As far as I know, every production EV has oil in the reduction box. Model 3 happens to have a pump and runs it through a filter, as well as use it to pull heat out of the motor. It’s quite possible the oil may never need to be changed, but it’s vitally critical to the proper operation.

Last edited by a moderator: