Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car out of alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All service requests get a cost estimate (At least here in CA it's a State law to get an estimate prior to repair). Usually what happens is that they look at the car and determine at repair time whether the repair will be covered by warranty or whether it will be billed.

Did your car always pull to the right from delivery day or did it just start? Any chance your spouse or SO hit something when you weren't in the car?

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I’ve noticed it early on but I rarely drive it. My wife drives it much more than me.

I would just hate to have Tesla do it and possibly charge me $275 whereas the Christian Bros near me chargers $100 for an alignment. I still think this should be covered under warranty. It really pulls to the right if the wheel is straight. It’s either alignment or the steering wheel is off.

They also do not properly align or fix suspension issues under or out of warranty.... save yourself the $275-350 or even just the waste of time if done for $0 and stay as far away from their alignment techs as possible.

Best to take it to a reputable alignment shop and have them make use of 'car wash mode' to center the steering wheel, and dial in the alignment with the very limited OE suspension adjustment types on these cars.

They also do not properly align or fix suspension issues under or out of warranty.... save yourself the $275-350 or even just the waste of time if done for $0 and stay as far away from their alignment techs as possible.

Best to take it to a reputable alignment shop and have them make use of 'car wash mode' to center the steering wheel, and dial in the alignment with the very limited OE suspension adjustment types on these cars.
Car wash mode to center the steering wheel?? What's that about?

I’ve noticed it early on but I rarely drive it. My wife drives it much more than me.

I would just hate to have Tesla do it and possibly charge me $275 whereas the Christian Bros near me chargers $100 for an alignment. I still think this should be covered under warranty. It really pulls to the right if the wheel is straight. It’s either alignment or the steering wheel is off.
First, I'd check the tire wear, even if it's only a month. It takes no time at all for tires to show uneven wear.

Second, I'd check the lugs. Loose lugs can result in the steering pulling to one side or other. Lugs have been reported to be below spec tightness from the factory.

Three, your local tire shop may "check" your alignment for free. I'd do that first, if they do.

Four, depending on the result of the first three steps, I'd think about whether it makes sense to discuss/argue with Tesla to make them pick up the tab, or just have the alignment done, inexpensively at the local tire shop. Time is money, and who needs the aggravation? For me, since I'm 3hrs away from a Service Center, the decision is a lot easier. Long before my Tesla, I've always had to consider whether it was worth taking a vehicle to the dealer, who was usually 1+hrs away, or have something done fixed locally, or just do it myself.

Reactions: ElectricNerd