Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car got scratched at the airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Someone at the airport scratched my Model Y with his luggage when squeezing through in the parking lot. Sentry mode recorded him (including clear face picture). It looked like unintentional.

Several questions -- appreciate any tips!

1. What can I do about this? Is reporting to the police useful?
2. Is it worth to talk to my insurance company?
3. Should I take it to Tesla service center or body shop?

Thanks!!!

View attachment 936010
The best thing to do is leave your Tesla home plugged into your charger and take a car service or a friend to take you and pick you up at the airport. I will never take my Tesla to an airport or allow valet parking.

You really can't tell unless OP responds with the fingernail test. Those could be marks and not scratches.
Op doesn’t state it’s a mark. From the look of it, it’s a deep scratch. Almost like a someone “keying” a car. Once the paint is gone, it cannot be buffed out.

Tesla touch up paint, which is identical to dr paint chip, could be a solution for the dyi guys. It will take multiple applications, with a tooth pick type of applying tool. Probably take couple hours of apply and wait for first timers, but probably can do it so it will “set the mind at ease” repair.

Even at a body shop, I highly doubt they have factory tesla paint, so…. Might be better to home touch up and then something bigger comes up, paint the door

Op doesn’t state it’s a mark. From the look of it, it’s a deep scratch. Almost like a someone “keying” a car. Once the paint is gone, it cannot be buffed out.

Tesla touch up paint, which is identical to dr paint chip, could be a solution for the dyi guys. It will take multiple applications, with a tooth pick type of applying tool. Probably take couple hours of apply and wait for first timers, but probably can do it so it will “set the mind at ease” repair.

Even at a body shop, I highly doubt they have factory tesla paint, so…. Might be better to home touch up and then something bigger comes up, paint the door
Branning Automotive has Tesla paint. They touched up my lift gate that hit the garage door at no charge.

Attachments

• Tesla Branning Automotive Group IMG_9535.JPG
    Tesla Branning Automotive Group IMG_9535.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Tesla Lift Gate Damage IMG_9287.JPG
    Tesla Lift Gate Damage IMG_9287.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 31
Branning Automotive has Tesla paint. They touched up my lift gate that hit the garage door at no charge.
Same thing happened to me but on the bottom of my trunk door. I bought touch up for $60. With body shops, they don’t have factory paint, they mix it as close or to perfect match. I will doubt that shop gets tesla factory paint for repairs. I know of no body shops that has factory paint. Even the one’s working with the dealerships