Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car died. BMS errors f123, w123, w073, w035, w142, w158

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One other thing i noticed that isn't mentioned anywhere is each module's connections had grease and some glue.
1684009970510.png

When removing modules i had to pry bus bars lightly to break the glue.
Not sure what the significance of these are... I tested with multi-meter and both are non-conductive.
I wiped the grease from touching points and lightly wire brushed bus bars before assembly.
FYI, bolts for these connections are actually non-conductive so only the flat contact area of module/bus bar is conducting electricity.
I believe with such large bolts the pressure it creates is sufficient to squeeze everything out and make solid contact for 1000+ amps.

After replacing one of the umbrella valves strips, i discovered that they have some up/down play. New ones had even larger gap.
1684010755214.png

I looked through all of them and most had a play.
Battery case also has chamfered edge at the bottom.
1684010878563.png

On some of these valves/plugs (esp the new ones) it felt like o-ring was sitting on chamfer, causing even more down force.
This didn't feel right to me and to prevent future water/dirt ingress 100% i experimented with few ways to fix it.
Btw, o-rings are covered with grease from factory.
1684011172226.png

First i cut old HP printer roller in pieces, but this takes long time. Then i used rubber hose split on one end, and finally just a piece of rubber hose between legs to keep em closer to case. Ended up using combination of last 2, cause there's not enough room for large hose due to umbrellas..
Now all my valves/plugs are flush and shouldn't move down at all.

In addition i wanted something visual for water detection in the future, so i bought a sheet of water detection stickers and placed a couple in each of 14 sections. I tested one out (left) just to make sure they work. This way i can see where water is/was next time i inspect these valves.
1684011749374.png

And i also mentioned in earlier post, i added a bluetooth temp/humidity sensor.
It would only fit behind pyro fuse, in the side cavity. It's still accessible from outside just have to remove cover and fuse.
1684012010050.png

Range is very small due to all the metal around but it gets enough signal to sync with phone around the passenger side door/wheel.
Not really sure what would be the normal humidity inside the pack but so far its been in the range of 40-60% after closing the pack and driving through few light rains.
1684013120808.png

@howardc64 asked if i can do the pressure test of the pack in place, it is possible but i didn't do it cause i was out of time at that moment and for proper test i feel like you need to tape/cover the breathers and rear pack connectors cause those are not 100% sealed when pack is out (maybe even when its in)..
The fitting for testing is accessible with just a shear plate removed. On earlier packs it looks like its location is even more to the left.
1684012988331.png

PS. Driven about 1k miles but only couple of light rains, so far so good. Will update the thread after another 10kmi for true comparison :)

Last edited:
Ahh thank you :)
Yes still here hehe
I actually did go over 10k just a week or two ago and was planning to update the thread on 26th (anniversary date lol) but i guess its close enough...

Its been 10.7k mi since the error and almost a year, so car lived through same exact conditions.
Battery is good and I drive the car every day.

If u recall i placed a temp/humidity sensor in the pyro fuse area
I didn't sync it often enough so there's some gaps but it looks consistent and good to me:

1708098162222.png
1708098203321.png

1708098243434.png
1708098294415.png

Initially it was a bit higher (guessing from sealing it up during rainy period) but then settled into low/mid 40s
I haven't had a chance to inspect my water detection stickers but i'm assuming they're fine

I still get BMS w035 error occasionally when battery heater is on (per-conditioning/supercharging) so i will have to replace it at some point
Unfortunately the way its tucked away, i'll have to pull the HV pack again...
I didn't replace it last time cause i assumed the error was due to water in the pack but i guess i had 2 issues..

Thank you for posting all of this. I believe I have the same issue on my 2014 Model S. I am loathe to let the car go (a battery replacement seems like one of the few ways to deal with the issue). At that rate, I may as well buy a model 3. I will see what we can do to salvage this car.

Just got an estimate from Tesla, but they only quoted a Vehicle Electrical Isolation Procedure and an Isolation/Insulation test total .55 hours. Does anyone know the likelihood of that test resulting in the need for a new battery?