Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Controlled experiment - test gloss and durability of the top paint finishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, in practice the gloss is quite long lasting.
That seems to be significantly at variance to the findings of your test. I wonder if you have considered obtaining confirmation by using your gloss measurer. As you may already have gathered I know little about paint but perhaps the corrective work that you carried out on the clear coat has, to a large extent, more permanently boosted the shine.
My present position is that I am leaning towards buying an orbital polisher (the merits and price of which have still to be discussed with my better half), but having read further I favor using micro fiber polishing pads.
My difficulty is not knowing of what I am unaware and the consequent possibility of ending up damaging the paint. My basic intention is to machine the Glare micro finish into the paint until it disappears, one section at a time and leave it on the car for approximately 3 hours, wipe off any residue and repeat the process with the pro finish.
Its been difficult to obtain specific information on the micro fiber polishing pad system especially in relation to Glare products which do not seem to fall into standard categories of polish, wax etc. Anyway my understanding is that there are only 2 micro fiber pads in the process, one is for cutting and one is for finishing. Hopefully the cutting pad is not too aggressive and the finishing pad buffs the Glare pro into the paint without any more cutting. Whenever the Glare wears off I would hate to end up with a car lacquer that requires maintenance just to bring it back to its original standard.
Apologies for bothering you yet again but your gloss test is arguably one of the most informative on the net and I strongly suspect that your advice likely to be sound.
Thanks again
TheMac

That seems to be significantly at variance to the findings of your test. I wonder if you have considered obtaining confirmation by using your gloss measurer. As you may already have gathered I know little about paint but perhaps the corrective work that you carried out on the clear coat has, to a large extent, more permanently boosted the shine.
My present position is that I am leaning towards buying an orbital polisher (the merits and price of which have still to be discussed with my better half), but having read further I favor using micro fiber polishing pads.
My difficulty is not knowing of what I am unaware and the consequent possibility of ending up damaging the paint. My basic intention is to machine the Glare micro finish into the paint until it disappears, one section at a time and leave it on the car for approximately 3 hours, wipe off any residue and repeat the process with the pro finish.
Its been difficult to obtain specific information on the micro fiber polishing pad system especially in relation to Glare products which do not seem to fall into standard categories of polish, wax etc. Anyway my understanding is that there are only 2 micro fiber pads in the process, one is for cutting and one is for finishing. Hopefully the cutting pad is not too aggressive and the finishing pad buffs the Glare pro into the paint without any more cutting. Whenever the Glare wears off I would hate to end up with a car lacquer that requires maintenance just to bring it back to its original standard.
Apologies for bothering you yet again but your gloss test is arguably one of the most informative on the net and I strongly suspect that your advice likely to be sound.
Thanks again
TheMac

My gloss test was the best I could with available hardware and resources. For example I think I spent about $150 on the gloss meter but more advanced versions were available for ten times that amount. It's far from perfect and with thousands of dollars invested in test equipment it could have been much better. But I did want to introduce a measure of objectivity into topic that has been almost totally subjective, with "tests" that relied solely on subjective judgments. But you have to remember that the differences in the results are marginal -- all of the products tested are pretty good.

I did the test to satisfy my own curiosity. I had been a long time user of Zaino Brothers products and was interested in seeing how they'd do in a serious comparison test. Based on the results I gave them up. I had never heard of Glare but the tests introduced me to the product, as it was suggested by a TMC poster. Frankly, I was surprised at the results.

As my car is relatively new I only use the micro fiber pads for polishing when I apply the Glare. But sometime in the future I'll have to use the cutting type to remove spider webs -- no matter how well one takes care of the finish they do build up over time.

I gave the gloss meter to the guy who details my car. He had better uses for it than me. He's become a believer in the Glare products although he was very doubtful in the beginning.

Application of Glare micro finishing

My gloss test was the best I could with available hardware and resources. For example I think I spent about $150 on the gloss meter but more advanced versions were available for ten times that amount. It's far from perfect and with thousands of dollars invested in test equipment it could have been much better. But I did want to introduce a measure of objectivity into topic that has been almost totally subjective, with "tests" that relied solely on subjective judgments. But you have to remember that the differences in the results are marginal -- all of the products tested are pretty good.

I did the test to satisfy my own curiosity. I had been a long time user of Zaino Brothers products and was interested in seeing how they'd do in a serious comparison test. Based on the results I gave them up. I had never heard of Glare but the tests introduced me to the product, as it was suggested by a TMC poster. Frankly, I was surprised at the results.

As my car is relatively new I only use the micro fiber pads for polishing when I apply the Glare. But sometime in the future I'll have to use the cutting type to remove spider webs -- no matter how well one takes care of the finish they do build up over time.

I gave the gloss meter to the guy who details my car. He had better uses for it than me. He's become a believer in the Glare products although he was very doubtful in the beginning.

Artsci
Thanks for such a prompt reply. My comments re the gloss durability were just made in passing. May I inquire as to whether you use the micro finish at all and if so, whether you apply it with the cyclo? I have read, dear knows where, that to work effectively that the pro polish requires clean paint i.e. either cut with polish /compound or prepared with Glare preparation products such as micro finish. Can you say if my proposal to buff the micro finish into the paint until it disappears and leave it on for 3 hours is a reasonable approach. I have not yet been able to track down how it is supposed to be used.
If this continues I will have to start paying you as a consultant!
Regards
TheMac

Artsci
Thanks for such a prompt reply. My comments re the gloss durability were just made in passing. May I inquire as to whether you use the micro finish at all and if so, whether you apply it with the cyclo? I have read, dear knows where, that to work effectively that the pro polish requires clean paint i.e. either cut with polish /compound or prepared with Glare preparation products such as micro finish. Can you say if my proposal to buff the micro finish into the paint until it disappears and leave it on for 3 hours is a reasonable approach. I have not yet been able to track down how it is supposed to be used.
If this continues I will have to start paying you as a consultant!
Regards
TheMac

I haven't yet used the micro finish but I would use the Cyclo for sure to apply it. Makes for much less and more consistent work than hand application. As for drying time I would follow the directions that come with the product.

Yes, before you apply any kind of micro polish or swirl remover the surface has to be clean of contaminants. I would wash thoroughly, clay bar the entire surface, then apply the swirl remover or micro finish.

Thanks

I haven't yet used the micro finish but I would use the Cyclo for sure to apply it. Makes for much less and more consistent work than hand application. As for drying time I would follow the directions that come with the product.

Yes, before you apply any kind of micro polish or swirl remover the surface has to be clean of contaminants. I would wash thoroughly, clay bar the entire surface, then apply the swirl remover or micro finish.

Artsci
Yes its ridiculous that there are no instructions provided as to how to use the product.
Thanks for the reply.
TheMac

Car Care: Controlled experiment - test gloss and durability of the top paint ...

My personal experience with Glare is that it doesn't last and it doesn't protect the paint at all. Glare is just a temporary hiding of swirls and doesn't provide real protection. Car still got huge swirls over time. I've since used real polish (2 step correction with HD Adapt and HD Polish) and a real more permanent coating (22ple) and it's 1000x better than the glare. I think you'll be wasting your time with Glare just as I did.

So basically, you're saying every product you tried goes back to nominal within 2 week? Including the $1000 opti-coat jobs people are getting?

LOL....

I just want a wax/coating that won't be stripped off by driving through hard rain. Anyone?

I know this is a really old thread. I recently completed the restore on my Buick and decided to do an entire body detail today. I washed, then clay-barred the entire vehicle. I then did the first "compounding" part of the Glare Pro. All is finished, but I ran out of Glare Pro!!! I garaged the car and covered it. I wish I could finish the final polish coat. Are there any local dealers for this stuff? I am in Los Angeles.

Glare advance polish will produce a shine 20 - 30% greater then glare professional polish, Glare rates advance polish as 7 year protection glare professional polish 5 yr protection. Glare advance polish is only available to professional applicators of glare products. I can apply glare advance polish to your car. For best results use in following order glare zero, knockout, zero, spider, micro, polish second coat polish let sit for a good hour. If using advance polish micro is not needed. It is best to let the second coat of polish sit on the car for a good hour. Then yearly to keep protection optimal apply polish. Let polish sit on car for good hour before removing