Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Alarm went off, stereo, blasted at full volume?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Just wondering if this is happened to anyone?

We got out of the model Y and key was on my wife’s phone. A youngster was sitting in the back. My wife closed her door, walked 20 feet to the house, and the young man’s mother walked back over to the car to keep him company. I think he might’ve opened the door from the inside… that’s when all hell broke loose❗️The alarm 🚨 blasted the lights flashed, but that wasn’t the worst of it. The stereo blasted at what sounded to be full volume and heavily distorted. It obviously scared the heck out of him, his mom and us.
In the panic, I didn’t even know how to shut off the alarm, but I walked over to the car and it silenced.

Should I report this strange alarm behaviour to Tesla? I can deal with the horn honking, but why would the stereo be blasting at full volume during the car alarm❓❗

Curious if anyone has experienced this? Not looking for parenting tips and advice at this moment needless to say we won’t chance this happening again!

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    529.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Funny
Reactions: Smileysam
Just wondering if this is happened to anyone?

We got out of the model Y and key was on my wife’s phone. A youngster was sitting in the back. My wife closed her door, walked 20 feet to the house, and the young man’s mother walked back over to the car to keep him company. I think he might’ve opened the door from the inside… that’s when all hell broke loose❗️The alarm 🚨 blasted the lights flashed, but that wasn’t the worst of it. The stereo blasted at what sounded to be full volume and heavily distorted. It obviously scared the heck out of him, his mom and us.
In the panic, I didn’t even know how to shut off the alarm, but I walked over to the car and it silenced.

Should I report this strange alarm behaviour to Tesla? I can deal with the horn honking, but why would the stereo be blasting at full volume during the car alarm❓❗

Curious if anyone has experienced this? Not looking for parenting tips and advice at this moment needless to say we won’t chance this happening again!

Was it the music you had set on the stereo? It was more likely a specific classical piece, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it right now. Just had somebody sitting in my car at my brother's house and they got out after I'd walked away. Did the same thing. It's on purpose. Hard to steal a Tesla if there's anybody anywhere near because they will look up and see you!

Reactions: easyev
It was Bruno Mars - Count on Me! A classical song like Pachelbel's Canon in D might have been 👌 My wife doesn’t listen to music very loud at all so it probably would’ve been playing at a level two or three max. The youngster is going to singing lessons and wants to learn that song. You know, he’s already terrified to sing in front of others and this happens 30 minutes before his first lesson 😱🥵

No you shouldnt, as that is the way the car alarm works on a model 3 or Y (this is the model X subforum though so I have no idea if its the same on an X).

Tesla specifically addeds "loud music" (2 specific songs) to the alarm, and its been that way at least since at least 2019. I think it was that way when I picked up my 2018 model 3 but cant remember that for sure, however I can GUARANTEE you there is nothing to report, and it is working as it was designed (playing the music).

• Informative
Reactions: easyev
No you shouldnt, as that is the way the car alarm works on a model 3 or Y (this is the model X subforum though so I have no idea if its the same on an X).

Tesla specifically addeds "loud music" (2 specific songs) to the alarm, and its been that way at least since at least 2019. I think it was that way when I picked up my 2018 model 3 but cant remember that for sure, however I can GUARANTEE you there is nothing to report, and it is working as it was designed (playing the music).
Okay, that's a relief, thank you for letting me know. Marking this post informative!

Okay, that's a relief, thank you for letting me know. Marking this post informative!

No problem 👍. The thing that is annoying, is how easy it is to set it off accidently.

From reading what you wrote, what happend is, your wife (who you mention was the "phone as key" driver), got out and walked away from the car. That most likely triggered walk away lock, so the person in the back seat was actually in the car, with it locked.

you likely have sentry mode on in some mode, either "all but at home" or "on", so your wife walked away, the car locked, and sentry mode turned on (with someone in the back seat of the car still). Then, when the other adult walked over, the person inside the car back seat opened the door, setting off the alarm (with the blaring music, which was added by Tesla because people are desensitized to car alarm bleeps and bloops)

All as designed, however its way too easy to do it accidentally. WAAY too easy.

I talked it over with my family this morning, everyone's better about how the alarm works! Maybe leave the door open, alarm wouldn't set?

Thanks a lot for the help, I need (will!) to give back more to TMC!

Someone most likely had the

Enhanced Anti-Theft System​

installed like I did. It’s a 350$ option. You can tell you have it, if you have an extra setting next to security alarm tab that says tilt/intrusion. Part of the system cranks the radio and full blast.

Do you guys really think it’s full volume in this mode? Wouldn’t there be possible speaker damage if the stereo is turned up to 100% when it was younger, I remembered this was a great way to fry speakers, To turn up an amp past its rated power, and all that distortion would damage a speaker.