Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cannot maintain vehicle power" error message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently running SW version 50.6. The update was done overnight in my garage, car plugged in (charge to 90%). The next morning, I got a quick error message and chime, so quick that I wasn't able to read the message. It happened a couple of times as I pulled out of the garage, then didn't re-appear. Car drove and performed as usual. This happened the next day as well. So, was curious what the error was. So, this morning, I was ready with my phone, and got a picture of the error message. It says "Cannot maintain vehicle power, Car may stop driving or shut down". I also noticed that when this error occurs, the HVAC stops blowing for about two seconds, then starts up again. This morning, I got the error about 10 times, all within the first 1/4 mile or so of driving. Then, nothing further. Again, car drives just fine. I live in Southern California, so although it's cold for us (upper 40s this morning), it's balmy for most of the rest of the country, so I don't think it is because of excessive cold.

I have an appointment with the SC on Feb 22 for other issues, so will add this on to the list of things to be fixed. But, wanted to share with the rest of the community to see if anybody else has been experiencing this.

BTW, have done a couple of soft resets. No change to behavior.

Keith

UPDATE.......Noticed yesterday that when I left my house in the morning with 90% charge, got the error periodically for about the first 5 miles or so of driving, then nothing. On the drive back home after work, no error messages, after the car had been sitting for about 12 hours or so; temperatures, if anything, were lower than the morning, but as I mentioned earlier, not really cold (low 40s). Was wondering whether the error had anything to do with state of charge. So, decided to do an experiment last night. I only charged the car to 80% (usually do 90%). And, no errors this morning. Temperature was 38 degrees.

Also want to point out that the error only flashes on the screen, then goes away. In fact, it flashes so quickly that I can't read it; I had to take a picture of it so that I could see what the error said. And, the car drives just fine, other than the annoyance of the "something is wrong" chime and the error message flashing on the screen.

My car is within the date bounds of the battery recall I read about elsewhere on this forum. Wonder if the two could be related?

Tried to get an earlier appointment at the SC than the Feb 22 appointment I already have, but no go.

Keith

UPDATE.......Noticed yesterday that when I left my house in the morning with 90% charge, got the error periodically for about the first 5 miles or so of driving, then nothing. On the drive back home after work, no error messages, after the car had been sitting for about 12 hours or so; temperatures, if anything, were lower than the morning, but as I mentioned earlier, not really cold (low 40s). Was wondering whether the error had anything to do with state of charge. So, decided to do an experiment last night. I only charged the car to 80% (usually do 90%). And, no errors this morning. Temperature was 38 degrees.

Also want to point out that the error only flashes on the screen, then goes away. In fact, it flashes so quickly that I can't read it; I had to take a picture of it so that I could see what the error said. And, the car drives just fine, other than the annoyance of the "something is wrong" chime and the error message flashing on the screen.

My car is within the date bounds of the battery recall I read about elsewhere on this forum. Wonder if the two could be related?

Tried to get an earlier appointment at the SC than the Feb 22 appointment I already have, but no go.

Keith

Having similar issue I think. I see an error message flash by really fast. No issue with my car though. Happens intermittently.

When sitting in my car parked. I do occasionally hear a very faint high pitched sound coming from the car. Thought it was odd.

Given the serious nature of the messages—losing power—have you at least asked to have your logs looked at? They can do that remotely before your appointment on 22nd. At least peace of mind when you take your car out. Hate to see you out and suddenly with a dead car after you’ve been getting these alerts. Plus if they find an issue in the logs if you’re going to need a part/s it can be on order in the meantime.

Given the serious nature of the messages—losing power—have you at least asked to have your logs looked at? They can do that remotely before your appointment on 22nd. At least peace of mind when you take your car out. Hate to see you out and suddenly with a dead car after you’ve been getting these alerts. Plus if they find an issue in the logs if you’re going to need a part/s it can be on order in the meantime.

How do I get them to look at my log? Call them?

By the way, charging to 80% didn't fix the issue, came back the next day. Has been intermittent since, sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.

Keith

Last edited:
How do I get them to look at my log? Call them?

By the way, charging to 80% didn't fix the issue, came back the next day. Has been intermittent since, sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.

Keith

Yes, call them. 877-79 TESLA. There is something definitely causing the alerts and given the nature I wouldn't wait. Tell them your situation, can they look at the logs for your car and mention that you have an appointment on the 22nd but should your car be looked at sooner. The info can be sent to your local service center where you have your appointment.

Final (I hope) update: Car went to the SC on Friday for this problem, plus a few other things that needed fixing (great experience at the Pomona Service Center, will make a separate thread for that). They diagnosed a weak 12V battery. Replaced it and (so far) no re-occurrence. Not sure why the battery went bad. My car has a build date of August, and I picked it up in November, so wondering if that has something to do with it.

Keith

This just happened to me. Car was towed away. I was able to check the 12v battery voltage with a multimeter before the tow truck showed up. it flickered between 14.8 and 15. I checked the 5 yo battery in the toyota for comparison and it was 14.5.

Hope it's just an easy battery replacement. Typing up an email to the service rep about the other minor issues (squeeky steering wheel and some seat trim plastic that was scratched before the car was delivered). Hopefully they can take care of it all at once... Tow truck driver nicked some paint in the wheel well... Coming up on 3 months of ownership and was about to post a review and pics of the wheels and other mods. Build date was mid to late December last year. I know it's not a first world problem but I'm a little bummed out nonetheless.

So, never came back and updated this post.........replacing the 12 volt battery did not fix the problem. The error reappeared two days later. Took the car back to the service center, and they ran a bunch of SW diagnostics, said everything checked out. They had an engineer from Fremont take a look at it, and finally diagnosed a bad cable harness between the 12 volt battery and the DC DC converter. Getting a replacement part took about a week. They replaced the harness, then kept the car for another couple of days to make sure the problem didn't reoccur. Got the car back on Friday evening, and everything seems to be good. The car hasn't been driven since last Tuesday as I am overseas in Europe right now, but hopefully this fix will hold. Bottom line, they had the car for two weeks to figure this out, but they did give me a Model S loaner.

So, never came back and updated this post.........replacing the 12 volt battery did not fix the problem. The error reappeared two days later. Took the car back to the service center, and they ran a bunch of SW diagnostics, said everything checked out. They had an engineer from Fremont take a look at it, and finally diagnosed a bad cable harness between the 12 volt battery and the DC DC converter.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully I get a call today with some info and eta on parts or whatever.

Update: So I just heard back from the SA. He said the tech traced the issue back to my amplifier and sub install. (Like others,) I ran the power wire for the amp from the 12v post under the back seat as it is very convenient. I insulated the power wire with additional plastic/rubber conduit, wrapped the fuse holder in neoprene, used the stock ground point for the ground wire, etc. but... I'm not sure this is the actual reason for the error code but I will remove the amp and sub and see if the issue returns. I'll ask if they think it's OK to run a power wire off the actual battery in the front. It'll be a bummer if I can't use the sub, but not the end of the world.

• Informative
Reactions: Relayer and MP3Mike
Update: So I just heard back from the SA. He said the tech traced the issue back to my amplifier and sub install. (Like others,) I ran the power wire for the amp from the 12v post under the back seat as it is very convenient. I insulated the power wire with additional plastic/rubber conduit, wrapped the fuse holder in neoprene, used the stock ground point for the ground wire, etc. but... I'm not sure this is the actual reason for the error code but I will remove the amp and sub and see if the issue returns. I'll ask if they think it's OK to run a power wire off the actual battery in the front. It'll be a bummer if I can't use the sub, but not the end of the world.

Here is a link to a possible solution for your sub-woofer troubles (LINK)

• Funny
Reactions: Brnn