Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling Autosteer remotely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gwagner

Dec 14, 2018
Iowa
Long time listener first time caller... (i.e., lots of searching on this question).

I work at a driving research facility that's looking at driver response to a takeover event from Autosteer in 2017 Model S 75D. To methodically trigger a takeover event I tried tapping into the wiring to the brake pedal switch, part number 1005124-00-A, as shown in this edited schematic image.

The DPDT momentary switch should cancel Autosteer since it looks just like a brake pedal press electrically, but it does not cancel Autosteer. It does turn on the external brake lights and indicates as such in the instrument cluster.

What else could be done to cancel Autosteer by a researcher sitting in the front passenger seat? Thank you.
upload_2018-6-29_7-25-42 - Copy.png

Are you trying to just cancel Autosteer, or Autopilot altogether? Pressing the brake cancels Autopilot completely. The only way I know of to cancel ONLY the Autosteer portion is to move the steering wheel.

As @Jhelin relates, pressing the Autopilot wand forward cancels Autopilot. , but like the brake event, it cancels TACC as well as Autosteer.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
You could send steering angle commands to the EPAS via CAN, that's what the openpilot team does to autosteer on cars that don't have autoilot and I don't see any reason why CAN commands can't also be used to takeover.

This seems like an awfully limited research project, unless this is the first step.

If so, you could do many things if you can modify the RTOS of the gateway. But you must turn off code-signing to do this using the Fusee Gelee exploit. I haven't yet mastered the right payload to get shell but maybe you will.