Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian supercharger rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what if you live in a condo of an old building that is refusing to allow you to install a wall charger

Don't let perfection be the enemy of good. Fully 63% of all residences in the US have garages or direct electrical hookups to install a charger for home use.

If you are in the 37% who don't...pay the supercharger bill. It's going to be much cheaper than gas.

Reactions: Jaff and Falkirk
But what if you live in a condo of an old building that is refusing to allow you to install a wall charger or pull from regular electricity outlet in the garage and their excuse is that its a really old building with low electricity?

Do you own your condo unit or rent it from the owner of the unit?

If you own it, and if it is just an "excuse" then get a electrician to give you a quote on the cost of installation including a separate device to measure the power from that outlet (they are not expensive). Then present that to the strata and tell them it can be done safely by a qualified electrician, and you will pay for all the electricity costs. If they still make excuses, tell them to put their concerns in writing so you can seek legal advice and also take it to your MP and MLA, and the press, since they are preventing the use of sustainable transportation that can combating global warming for no good reason at all.

Don't let perfection be the enemy of good. Fully 63% of all residences in the US have garages or direct electrical hookups to install a charger for home use.

If you are in the 37% who don't...pay the supercharger bill. It's going to be much cheaper than gas.
But that sure isn't convenient. So you want everyone in the GTA that can't charge at home to head up to Lawrence to charge their cars? And it isn't just old buildings that won't install chargers, I have spoken to folks in new buildings who can't get chargers installed without paying a ridiculous amount of money.

everyone in the GTA that can't charge at home to head up to Lawrence to charge their cars?

Why not? Tesla will get funding to keep building out chargers with the new cost structure. They already realise their mistake in sighting the supercharger in a narrow parking area causing unnecessary traffic for their service center. The next 401/Toronto charger will hopefully have better food/leasure choices than a Timmies 500 meters away too!

Thanks for your input @SmartElectric & @wayner
I won't let it be the enemy of good :)
I have a Model S that was purchased before Dec 31st so supercharging is free for me.
And I live in Montreal. So I am not sure what the % breakdown is.

Now I haven't seen Tesla drivers 'hogging' the supercharger here but its a minor inconvenience. Waiting time at superchargers is a whole other issue (or will be) once Model 3's start delivery.
I am sure if I offer to pay for the electrician costs and installation, I should be able to get it sorted.
Thanks,
Soby

Do you own your condo unit or rent it from the owner of the unit?

If you own it, and if it is just an "excuse" then get a electrician to give you a quote on the cost of installation including a separate device to measure the power from that outlet (they are not expensive). Then present that to the strata and tell them it can be done safely by a qualified electrician, and you will pay for all the electricity costs. If they still make excuses, tell them to put their concerns in writing so you can seek legal advice and also take it to your MP and MLA, and the press, since they are preventing the use of sustainable transportation that can combating global warming for no good reason at all.

Thanks for the ideas @Canuck

I will offer to pay. I just felt they didn't want the hassle. The person was trying to convince me it will cost so much and its not worth it etc... AND that the building is old with low electricity coming in from the grid. If I get more push back, I will ask for it in writing.

Thanks,
Soby

Thanks for the ideas @Canuck

I will offer to pay. I just felt they didn't want the hassle. The person was trying to convince me it will cost so much and its not worth it etc... AND that the building is old with low electricity coming in from the grid. If I get more push back, I will ask for it in writing.

Thanks,
Soby
Here is a good resource from Metro Vancouver, BC that may help you with putting your request together.