Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we all please agree not to call the Model X a minivan. Pleeease?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll agree to not call model S a minivan. Because it isn't a minivan. If you really need a true, full-sized minivan, you will be unsatisfied with model X. It's just not a minivan.

On the other hand, I insist on calling model S a "hatchback" and a "station wagon", because it fits firmly in both categories and should satisfy the needs of anyone who needed either a hatchback or a station wagon -- but with added style! :wink:

I'll continue calling the Model X a CUV. That's what I'll use it as.

I am wondering if seats 6 and 7 will be optional, though. For my use, I don't really need 7 seats (but they don't really do any harm, either). If you take out seats 6 and 7, calling it a minivan becomes quite silly.

While I won't call it a minivan, Tesla describes it thusly:
Model X is designed from the ground up to blend the best of an SUV with the benefits of a minivan, as only an electric car can.

I think Tesla would do well, however, to study the functionality of popular minivans. No pockets/cubbys/cupholders/storage might be ok in a premium sedan like the Model S, but if they want to hold up to the "benefits of a minivan" they ought to copy some of these features praised by automobile magazine:

Honda's third-row "Magic Seat" still sets the standard for versatility and ease of use. It folds into a well behind the seats with the pull of a single strap, creating a flat load floor.

The Odyssey doesn't just master the big stuff, either. It offers plenty of cubbies and pockets for small items, too. Each front door has the standard map pocket along the bottom plus a spot for a water bottle, and a smaller bin under the armrest is perfect for storing sunglasses, a wallet, and a cell phone. The lower center stack hides a chilled "cool box" for drinks, and the removable console between the seats has four cupholders, a massive storage bin, and a pop-up plastic ring that can hold a trash bag, about which art director and family man Matt Tierney said, "The awesomeness of this minor detail cannot be overstated. The slippery slope to a filthy family van starts with the first lollipop stick thrown on the floor."

"The DVD system is unsurpassed for ease of use," Tierney enthused. "It is totally intuitive and fully controllable from the front passenger seat -- which is key. Far too many systems require repeated reference to the owners' manual or depend on actions from the rear-seat occupants. That doesn't work with young kids in car seats."

While I won't call it a minivan, Tesla describes it thusly:

I think Tesla would do well, however, to study the functionality of popular minivans. No pockets/cubbys/cupholders/storage might be ok in a premium sedan like the Model S, but if they want to hold up to the "benefits of a minivan" they ought to copy some of these features praised by automobile magazine:

It seems to me that a "cool box" (or full-fledged refrigerator) would be a layup for the Model X.