Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone diagnose this damage cause? - we suspect during Tesla service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

We had the MS in for a "radar calibration" and this resulted in them fitting a new radar bracket which I think involved taking some of the bumper components off. It got the cruise control working again but when we got the car back and opened the frunk the photos show what we found - the plastic component at the right side is broken - it looks to me that this will have happened perhaps when trying to remove the nut that shows signs of corrosion? Anyway Tesla are claiming that this damage was not caused by them. This is very puzzling because there is no other obvious cause.

So my question is would the two nuts in this area need to be removed to access and fit a new radar bracket? Thanks.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 186
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 144
I don't know. But can you look at the bolts to see any fresh marks? You might see places where the corrosion was knocked down a bit. Or look on the driver side to see if there are some circular marks on the under part from the broken plastic being dragged around. Also look at the broken plastic edges. Are they fresh or do they have some dirt on them. Indubitably Sherlock Holmes.

We had the MS in for a "radar calibration" and this resulted in them fitting a new radar bracket which I think involved taking some of the bumper components off. It got the cruise control working again but when we got the car back and opened the frunk the photos show what we found - the plastic component at the right side is broken - it looks to me that this will have happened perhaps when trying to remove the nut that shows signs of corrosion? Anyway Tesla are claiming that this damage was not caused by them. This is very puzzling because there is no other obvious cause.

So my question is would the two nuts in this area need to be removed to access and fit a new radar bracket? Thanks.
Had to prove but as init6 says those items need to be removed so they most likely did remove them and you would think they might mention if something was already broken. I think a possible scenario is that the bumper has had some force against it in order for it to break the missing plastic

Hi

I would say the front of the car has been "nudged". The whole assembly is very slightly skewed if you look at the first photo and the central part which is now at an angle. This tallies with the damage to the plastic at the bolt. This may have happened even after the job was complete when moving vehicles around the workshop. The mechanic surely wouldn't refit the bumper with the remaining plastic under the bolt head like in the photo which is one of the reasons I think it's post repair.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Had to prove but as init6 says those items need to be removed so they most likely did remove them and you would think they might mention if something was already broken. I think a possible scenario is that the bumper has had some force against it in order for it to break the missing plastic
I got bored reading the instructions and trying to follow the part names, but the whole fascia comes off and assistance is recommended. I'm just not sure if that part stays on the fascia when it is removed.

Had a closer look today and took another photo. It is pretty clear that there is a complete absence of dirt/debris along the torn edge compared to the rest of the assembly which would indicate to me that this is recent damage. If Tesla did this and then left it for me to find and then have lied about it I am going to be rather furious...

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 69
I would imagine Tesla would document any existing damage they find during their work. If they haven’t documented this as pre-existing damage, I’d be going back to them and asking them to make good. The difficulty is they’ll probably tell you to jog on, which leaves you with the decision as to whether to start a a claim via the small claims court.

Reactions: init6
My guess is that the plastic has become brittle with age, and them using force to undo the rusty bolt cause it to shatter or sheer at that point, and the tech just kept quiet about it.

I don’t see how it could just “happen” in a car park.

Actually proving it will be difficult though. My argument would be - what reason would one have to do anything with that part? It doesn’t relate to any user serviceable thing, and the car has just been in for work that requires that part to be removed… Occam’s Razor.

As Cardo said, surely Tesla would have mentioned it - if only to absolve themselves from any blame for the part being broken.

Definitely. Of course we are dealing with individual humans here so it may be a bit harsh on Tesla as a company if someone has knowingly concealed their own c*ck up and simply closed the bonnet and signed the job off as complete... if that was indeed the scenario ... which it may not be. It could even be @markharro trying to wangle a free repair after he caused it ... ( I don't really mean that! But it's frustratingly hard to get agreement on these things because nothing seems provable.)

Had a closer look today and took another photo. It is pretty clear that there is a complete absence of dirt/debris along the torn edge compared to the rest of the assembly which would indicate to me that this is recent damage. If Tesla did this and then left it for me to find and then have lied about it I am going to be rather furious...
Best of luck... I have a video of an intact but misbehaving display (aka phantom touch) but when I went to collect the car it was physically cracked/broken and therefore not covered under warranty :-(

Will be seeing them in court about that...