Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: HOV pending, has anyone used HOV lane w/o stickers & been pulled over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have paint armor, so I didn't hesitate to put the HOV stickers on the car.

My stepdad who also has a Model S but without paint armor went to a local tint shop to get some small sheets of paint armor. I think he plans to cut it out in the shape of the HOV sticker and stick the HOV sticker on top of the armor.

This morning on my way to work, got pulled over by CHP on I-880. Was in the carpool lane when this happened. Officer walks over to the passenger side of the car.
Officer: "I pulled you over because you were solo in the carpool lane."
Me: "But I have stickers," pointing to the rear of my car, "the HOV lane carpool stickers."
Officer: Takes a step back and looks down at the bumper. "Oh, my mistake, I am sorry."

And with that, I was off back to work driving solo in the carpool lane. The entire episode lasted only a minute, and was a little annoying. But I sure am glad that I had those stickers.

Bottom line is that you need the stickers.

The law is that you may need to show the decal ID card to prove that the stickers were issued to that car & license plate - but I suspect that's almost never enforced.

The reason the stickers need to be there is that some of them are limited in number (40K for the green stickers). So, it's not enough to have the right car, you need the sticker.

Details http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

The law is that you may need to show the decal ID card to prove that the stickers were issued to that car & license plate - but I suspect that's almost never enforced.

The reason the stickers need to be there is that some of them are limited in number (40K for the green stickers). So, it's not enough to have the right car, you need the sticker.

In my case they reissued a new CA DMV registration card/form to keep in the glovebox that reflects the HOV stickers/status.

I can see them needing these stickers for older vehicles (2004 and newer) that are super low emission. Those aren't readily apparent to law enforcement. If your car is an ALL ELECTRIC vehicle it qualifies for the HOV lane unconditionally, and let's face it, there's only a couple of brands out there. Why do we need to put an ugly ass sticker on our paint to prove we have an eligible car? Who doesn't know a TESLA is an electric car? I think it's just plain stupid.

Last edited:
I can see them needing these stickers for older vehicles (2004 and newer) that are super low emission. Those aren't readily apparent to law enforcement. If your car is an ALL ELECTRIC vehicle it qualifies for the HOV lane unconditionally, and let's face it, there's only a couple of brands out there. Why do we need to put an ugly ass sticker on our paint to prove we have an eligible car? Who doesn't know a TESLA is an electric car? I think it's just plain stupid.

It's not exactly the law. But. How about you carry around the sticker and if pulled over you show the officer the sticker and say your plan is to put them on the next day.

It's an excuse. Not the best excuse, but an excuse.

Many people don't know a Tesla is an electric car, including many police officers. I look at the ability to drive in the HOV lanes as a perk, not a right. And I am glad to display the stickers (albeit stuck to paint armor first!).

We're not 'entitled' to the HOV lane. It's a privilege that we may lose someday. I'd like to think that other drivers at least see the sticker and know I'm not some jerk that just thinks I'm driving in that lane because I want to.

Someday, hopefully, we all will be driving electric and the HOV lane access incentive will disappear.

Last edited:
California has been using the incentive of an HOV sticker to encourage the purchase of vehicles which have lower pollution, until they reach some level of popularity so they don't have to encourage them any more. This was true for the gold HOV stickers that were issued to the non-plug-in hybrids like Prius and Civic (we had a Civic Hybrid). They were for a specific number of years and did get extended once or twice, finally expiring on 7-1-2011. But they didn't last forever. The electric white stickers and the plug-in hybrid green stickers both have expiration dates of January 1, 2019, but like the gold stickers they may be extended. However, there are no guarantees.

Obviously, the vast majority of HOV lane users are regular ICE vehicles with the requisite number of passengers.

It's not exactly the law. But. How about you carry around the sticker and if pulled over you show the officer the sticker and say your plan is to put them on the next day.

It's an excuse. Not the best excuse, but an excuse.

I'm gonna look into some kind of "cling film" that is sticky enough to stay on but easy to take back off. Just pop it on when you need it and take it off when you're done.

There are many many ideas on how to mount your sticker in a non-permanent way in this thread: California DMV - Plates HOV Stickers

Is there a definitive answer? It sounds like the films don't work all that well for this. Maybe I'll open my mind to putting one of them on the Rubber Skirt like that one guy did. It would take a dimensional leap for me to think of these as a "Badge of Honor" but I'll try. :(

I put mine on StarShield (a brand of paint protection) in February 2011 and have had no problem. Basically it's the sticker stuck to StarShield stuck to the paint armor on the car. Could someone walk up and peel it off? Yes. Has anyone done that? No.

Just do me a favor and put them on straight. You have no idea how crazy it makes me to see these beautiful cars with stickers just slapped on.