Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin heat won't turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed a new quirk a day or two ago where cabin heat continuously turns itself on while driving. Initially solved it by forcing HVAC off through the app, but it came back. Turning the heat off via screen or app has the heat shut off for about 2 seconds before it comes back on by itself.

I've switched driver profiles to a local profile and disabled remote access, as well as a scroll wheel reset, but the behavior remains. Anyone else experiencing something like this, or have an idea on a fix?

Do you use, (or at any time in the past used) any third party app that can interact with your Car in any way, including monitoring charging, or performing any functions like unlocking, etc? If its "used" in the past, have you changed your Tesla password since you stopped using it?

If the answer is yes (even if it was a long time ago) and you have not changed your tesla password since then, or you still use one now, try NOT using it and changing your Tesla password, and see if the interaction continues.

There have been a rash of posts recently with people dealing with strangeness (mostly around charging) where the solution was "Oh I tried to use XXX app for a day but deleted it" or some such.

Im not saying all third party apps are bad, but at this point ANY strange interactions of the car doing or not doing some basic thing like charging or setting HVAC properly should start with step 1 being "stop using any third party app you are using, and change your tesla password" (just stopping using the app is not good enough since they all have tokens of indeterminate length).

Watch App for Tesla, but the behavior continued even after disabling remote access and changing my Tesla account password. Also, the device I use with that app (Apple Watch) is fully powered down.

I have seen it take up to a day or so for tokens to become invalidated, so if you just changed your password and tested it right after, try leaving it in that state for at least 24 hours.

Whether the device is powered down or not may or may not matter, since the interaction tends to be from an app, to the apps servers, to your car.

The number of posts about "strange thing happening" and it being related to some third party app interaction have ticked up in the recent weeks, which means to me that Its likely Tesla changed something with a firmware update that is interacting with some of these apps differently than it used to.

I have the tesla app on a google pixel 6 pro and my iphone 13 and have no such interactions that you describe. Thats anecdotal but it also indicates that the cause is not universally what you said in post #2.