Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA sticker HOV on a nosecone Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I purchased my CPO 2015 S85 this past April, one of my "must-haves" was that it be eligible for CA HOV decal. This we prior to ev-cpo.com adding eligibility as a filter. It really limited the selection but is TOTALLY worth it as the 55 freeway gives no joy. Maybe it was me you saw; if so, *waves*.

It's possible because the year of the vehicle doesnt matter. You can apply for the HOV sticker at any time but it does not need to be right when you get your car. The 4 year timer starts when the stickers are issued. So in this case, the owner may have simply waited to apply for the stickers - for several years - or (possibly) they moved to CA from another state and then applied after registering in CA. I'm not 100% on that second scenario but I'm fairly certain that if the eligible vehicle is registered in CA, you can apply for decals provided that an HOV sticker has not been previously issued to that car. Most people don't wait to apply and so it's pretty rare to see an HOV decal on a nosecone Tesla.

Reactions: cwerdna
It's possible because the year of the vehicle doesnt matter. You can apply for the HOV sticker at any time but it does not need to be right when you get your car. The 4 year timer starts when the stickers are issued. So in this case, the owner may have simply waited to apply for the stickers - for several years - or (possibly) they moved to CA from another state and then applied after registering in CA. I'm not 100% on that second scenario but I'm fairly certain that if the eligible vehicle is registered in CA, you can apply for decals provided that an HOV sticker has not been previously issued to that car. Most people don't wait to apply and so it's pretty rare to see an HOV decal on a nosecone Tesla.

Sweet. Unicorn. :eek:

... The 4 year timer starts when the stickers are issued.

The 4-year counter doesn't start when it's issued to the driver/vehicle (that's how I read your message, if it's not correct, I apologize, just making it clear for others) - it's based on the sticker series (at least for the Red and Purple).. All Purple stickers expire the same date... So, if you wait until the next year (January), you get a full 4 years of the sticker... I had a green sticker for my XC90 T8 (never put it on the car when I got it in 2017), but, since it was only valid for about a year, my vehicle was eligible for the Red, which wouldn't expire until 2022-01-01, though, I never applied for the sticker since my Volvo was in the middle of a Lemon Law issue.

If you see anyone driving in an HOV lane with anything but Red or Purple, and they're single occupancy with no single driver exceptions, they are breaking the law. It makes it easy to identify which vehicles should be allowed when all stickers expire at the same time, rather than if they expire mid year or otherwise.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

2019-08-13.png

The program should be ending in 2025, so, if you get your sticker January next year (2020), it should be expiring on January 1st, 2024...I'm waiting to apply for mine until the end of the year so I can get a new 4-year start, rather than lose half a year for my new X)

The 4-year counter doesn't start when it's issued to the driver/vehicle (that's how I read your message, if it's not correct, I apologize, just making it clear for others) - it's based on the sticker series (at least for the Red and Purple).. All Purple stickers expire the same date... So, if you wait until the next year (January), you get a full 4 years of the sticker... I had a green sticker for my XC90 T8 (never put it on the car when I got it in 2017), but, since it was only valid for about a year, my vehicle was eligible for the Red, which wouldn't expire until 2022-01-01, though, I never applied for the sticker since my Volvo was in the middle of a Lemon Law issue.

If you see anyone driving in an HOV lane with anything but Red or Purple, and they're single occupancy with no single driver exceptions, they are breaking the law. It makes it easy to identify which vehicles should be allowed when all stickers expire at the same time, rather than if they expire mid year or otherwise.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

2019-08-13.png

The program should be ending in 2025, so, if you get your sticker January next year (2020), it should be expiring on January 1st, 2024...I'm waiting to apply for mine until the end of the year so I can get a new 4-year start, rather than lose half a year for my new X)

You're correct in that an individual sticker expires on the date set. However each vehicle will get 4 years of HOV access based on the date the sticker was issued. For example, when I purchased my car in November 2017, I received a white HOV sticker. However that sticker expired at the end of 2018 (~1 year). In 2019, I then reapplied and received a red sticker. That sticker will expire at the end of 2021 (~3 years). At that point, my vehicle will have received a total (minimum) of 4 years HOV access. I got a bonus month but the program should allow an individual vehicle a minimum of 4 years of HOV access. I assume that if I apply for new stickers in 2022, I will be denied by the DMV. We'll see. :)

You're correct in that an individual sticker expires on the date set. However each vehicle will get 4 years of HOV access based on the date the sticker was issued. For example, when I purchased my car in November 2017, I received a white HOV sticker. However that sticker expired at the end of 2018 (~1 year). In 2019, I then reapplied and received a red sticker. That sticker will expire at the end of 2021 (~3 years). At that point, my vehicle will have received a total (minimum) of 4 years HOV access. I got a bonus month but the program should allow an individual vehicle a minimum of 4 years of HOV access. I assume that if I apply for new stickers in 2022, I will be denied by the DMV. We'll see. :)

Correct, for those of us that received white or green stickers after January 1, 2017, we were eligible to apply for a red sticker. That is only because the new sticker program limited the accessibility to 4 years, and the DMV/Legislature wanted to discontinue the long term stickers.

As per Law section vehicles may only receive one sticker, ever. If you apply for a sticker towards the latter half of the year, and receive that year's sticker, you've lost out on the length of the sticker, less than 4 years. You would have to apply and receive a sticker January 1 to get the full time frame.

The purple decal eligibility weighed heavily on our decision to buy a used Tesla...from Arizona. I called the DMV to make sure I was understanding the terms correctly and the agent was surprised to come to the same conclusion. He stayed on the line for an extra 3 minutes with me to confirm which used Tesla VINs were still eligible.

The HOV lane saves my wife about 20-40 minutes each way on her commute from Newport Beach to Century City a few days out the week. Now I get to drive the Fiat 500e with the expired white decals...which is the perfect car in a crowded beach town.

IMG_2003.PNG

This was the only spot on all of Balboa Island during the 4th of July.