Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA hov white stickers exp 1/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Governor Brown just screwed electric car owners who bought their cars before 1/1/17 and have been issued the white hov stickers. The new bill (AB544) he signed on 10/10/17 does not extend our white stickers, but will expire on 1/1/19. Owners who are issued stickers after 1/1/17 gets an extension until 1/1/2022.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Tam
Governor Brown just screwed electric car owners who bought their cars before 1/1/17 and have been issued the white hov stickers. The new bill (AB544) he signed on 10/10/17 does not extend our white stickers, but will expire on 1/1/19. Owners who are issued stickers after 1/1/17 gets an extension until 1/1/2022.
What does that mean? Do pre-2017 white stickers expire permanently, or will we have to apply for new ones?

Another clause intended to discriminate against Tesla - even if you purchase a new one :

In addition, drivers that receive the Clean Vehicle Rebate, a state-funded rebate that can be several thousand dollars, won’t be eligible for HOV lane stickers unless their gross annual income falls below $150,000 for a single tax filer, $204,000 for a head of household filer, and $300,000 for joint filers.

Another clause intended to discriminate against Tesla - even if you purchase a new one :

In addition, drivers that receive the Clean Vehicle Rebate, a state-funded rebate that can be several thousand dollars, won’t be eligible for HOV lane stickers unless their gross annual income falls below $150,000 for a single tax filer, $204,000 for a head of household filer, and $300,000 for joint filers.
I was confused by that one, since I thought if you make more than those income limits you are not eligible for the CVRP anyways.

This bill is super confusing. What is the logic behind phasing it out for people pre 1-2017? Just to reduce the cars in the lane? Isn't that punishing the primary people who you wanted to reward? (those reducing emissions by being early adopters)

Link to the full text for those who want to read it:
Bill Text - AB-544 Vehicles: high-occupancy vehicle lanes.
They want you to buy a new car, it's that simple. I assume there was plenty of lobbying from the auto manufacturers for this bill. If you buy in/after 2019, your stickers will be valid until January 1st of the 4th year following issuance. This is great for leasing a new car every three years, but it prevents people buying used cars from being able to use the carpool lanes (unless the used car did not have carpool stickers previously).

The way I read this (*on a Friday afternoon) is that the law only applies to plug-in hybrids or alternative fuel vehicles not ZEV which are full EVs:

ZEV = Zero Emission Vehicle *Tesla's*
NEV = Neighborhood Electric Vehicle
NMOG = Non-Methane Organic Gases
TZEV = Transitional Zero Emission Vehicle
AT PZEV = Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle
PZEV = Partial Zero Emission Vehicle

This change is similar to what was done for the original yellow sticker hybrids. If the past is any indication of what will happen the green stickers will be changed to something else and the white ones will continue on for AFVs (Alternative Fuel Vehicles) and ZEVs. If the white stickers change to something else in 2019 that will be a bummer as my 2000 Toyota Camry CNG (with 360,000 miles) will get kicked out of the HOV lanes.

Can't wait for my new MS75 to be delivered, hopefully at the end of this month!

I concur with moore101 -- the language in the bill does not refer to the ZEV category at all. The closest it comes is the TZEV category (plug-in hybrids), which does not include Tesla (see links below):

Zero Emission Vehicle Credits

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm#vehicles

Basically, any vehicle that has the ability to burn petroleum or natural gas (CNG) would lose HOV access. Full electric and hydrogen vehicles would still be allowed HOV access. At least that is how I am interpreting the bill.

Unfortunately, pure ZEV's share the white sticker with CNG vehicles, so I could see a new sticker being required for differentiation after 1/1/2019. Or maybe CHP will just leave our Teslas alone.

Maybe the ZEV category was left out by mistake but it is currently not specifically addressed in the bill. Let's hope our stickers are good well past 2019.

Any lawyers out there want to chime in?

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and P100DHG.
Soooooooooooooo... any car with a white sticker gets scanned starting 2019 to see if they're in compliance? Really?

What a clusterfook.

Teslas are in no danger of growing a tailpipe anytime soon, and there isn't a LEO in the country who doesn't know what one looks like. The fact that Teslas even have to display stickers is disgraceful. Expand that to other pure EVs if you like.

The point is, ain't no steeking tailpipe. Not a hard thing to see if you're close enough to discern whether there are 3 stickers or not, ffs.

Not a lawyer, but
"(3) A vehicle that meets the state’s enhanced advanced technology partial zero-emission vehicle (enhanced AT PZEV) standard or transitional zero-emission vehicle (TZEV) standard."

I would say a ZEV meets (and exceeds) the enhanced AT PZEV and TZEV standards.

That quote doesn't seem to define PZEV and TZEV. You'd have to find the law that defines those terms to make that determination. I doubt that they intend to cover pure electric cars with that verbiage, though.

@TaoJones

The federal law merely says that ZEV/PZEV/TZEV/ AT PZEV etc can be given access to limited access lanes on interstate highways. Says nothing about requiring a sticker or anything else.

The states can create reasonable rules pertaining to implementation of the rule - and Calif has created the rules to have these stickers. But California also has non-interstates with car pool lanes- the 210 east of the 57 is a state highway. As is the 57 itself. So Calif roads Calif rules.

The process for obtaining them is unnecessarily cumbersome - it takes 8-12 weeks to obtain, you need to have your plates first, etc etc etc. You CAN, btw, go to the DMV in Sacramento and walk through an application - takes only a few minutes for a Tesla - but you have to go to Sacramento.

I have no idea how they are going to implement the stickers for post 1/1/17 vehicles without getting a different color.

I imagine they'll prob go to blue. . . . after all - blue is the universal 'ev' color.

PS: California is financing Tesla with billions in subsidy - ain't no way they're gonna hurt Tesla. This new law applies to ZEVs