Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYO cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get a BYO charging cable (type 2 to type 2). From my research, there appears to be some BYO cables on sale on Ebay, claiming to support 3 phase 22kW, but the actual cable itself looks to be 3G (3 cores), instead of 5G (5 cores). Is this false advertising?

I would get the one from tesla

or evse

Got a link?

Sometimes those sellers offer multiple product variations on the same listing, so the photos can be misleading.

I purchased one from eBay for very rare use, and it was 3 phase as expected.
Here's one - 32A 22kW Type2 to Type 2 EV 5M Charging Charger Power Cable BYD Tesla Model Y/3 | eBay

If you look at the pictures of the cable, there is one pic which shows the cable marked with 3G (for 3 cores), but it is advertised as 22kW, supporting 3 phase.

You will find 5metres too short in some places. I've got 7metres which I've found to be a perfect length. You will probably get by with 6metres in most situations but I would not go shorter than that.
To give a counter experience - I've been using my 5m cable for about 2 years and not once have I ever wished it was longer. Usually I'm left wondering what to do with the excess slack.

Reactions: Maximillan
Yes, spots get ICEd and sometimes you have to stretch the cable across the car. There is a whole other thread on cable length and amperages.

Definitely false economy to get a sub-standard or bodgy cable. A lot depends upon how often you will be using BYO chargers, where they are, are they on poles etc. An extra 1 or 2 metres of cable is fairly trivial. But each to his/her own!

Reactions: Hairyman
Get the tesla one. better build. moulded correctly. bunnings and supercheap also have some. not sure the quality

I bought mine from EVSE, it is very well made.

You will find 5metres too short in some places. I've got 7metres which I've found to be a perfect length. You will probably get by with 6metres in most situations but I would not go shorter than that.

My cable is 5 metres and in one situation it wasn’t long enough, but that was mostly due to a badly parked ICE car in front. 7m obviously means less likelihood of that sort of thing happening, but I find the 5m 22kW cable is difficult enough to roll up and stow, 7m would be a bit harder again. YMMV.

Reactions: Maximillan
On a tangential topic, SAE recently completed its work and released the standard for the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC), which Tesla unilaterally deemed the “NACS” and SAE have now released as the J3400 standard.

As part of that work, SAE have standardised the grid side connection for AC charging to be a Type 2 socket, bringing the BYO cable concept to the USA for the first time.

I had no idea that all Type 1 AC chargers over there were tethered and hence “BYO cable” dose not exist as a concept in the USA 😱. The BTL commenters on this Electrek article were having orgasms over the potential for BYO cable due to frequent vandalism of tethered cables.

A few commenters did point out this is old news in EU and, by the way, J3400 won’t take over the world because it doesn’t support 3-phase.

We do have it rather good over here…

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Interesting they use the Type 2 plug but over a system that would use only 2 live lines.

Electricity distribution in the USA is 3-phase just typically not beyond the neigbourbood level where it becomes 1-phase. But many commercial buildings and locations that would offer public AC charging have 3-phase supplies.

So using Type 2 on the grid side provides flexibility for the future.

Another interesting note is the "new" J3400/NACS standard standard has allowed for 277v single phase, ie, Phase-to-Neutral in common 3ph commercial settings in the USA. which means its easier to manage as there are no step down transformers required to pull the voltage back to 220v. This will make it cheaper to install high volume AC charging in commercial sites.

Still think whilst NACS is great, they stuffed the original design by not adding 2 more pins for three phase support that would only result in a slightly larger size, it could them have been a true world standard.

And just to bang on the same point, type 2 is decent connector, and unless you are fast charging often, there is nothing bulky or difficult to use about Type 2. And even in the CCS2 setting, Tesla has again set the standard in making to connector much more user friendly than the other brands like Phoenix Contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
Another interesting note is the "new" J3400/NACS standard standard has allowed for 277v single phase, ie, Phase-to-Neutral in common 3ph commercial settings in the USA. which

Some interesting questions in the comments though as to how many existing non-Teslas will be able to use 277V (with a Type 2 to Type 1 cable) - guess it will depend on the specs of each onboard charger.