Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a New Tesla or w/significant warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but do yourself a favor and skip buying one out of warranty
as you will soon pay just as much in repairs for simple things as the cost of new ownership…

I spent 6 months renting a Tesla 3 from hertz (at an egregious and ludicrous cost) while I ubered in it,
fell in love with it,
and undoubtedly convinced double digit folks to consider a Tesla purchase,
especially highly skeptical soon to be buyers…

anyhow, the last few months, I had been watching the used market for specifics that I wanted:
Y or 3,
White on white,
preferably a performance…

looked a few Y’s, all of which were sold within a day,
and found a 2020 M3P,
but with 80k (while still under 4 years old 6/2020)…
at a Hyundai dealership…

I was scared, but didn’t wanna continue paying $500/week to rent,
so I jumped.

1 week later:

1. front suspension super creaky/groany on slow turns (when I test drove and first few days, it had rained so it was sorta lubed up and went unnoticed)…

2. turn signal /DRL inop

3. notification rear passenger seatbelt malfunction

Tesla App Service estimate:
$3k before I’ve even gone a week or made a first payment…

Hyundai dealership has agreed to at least look at it, but said they likely will not do/pay for anything…

this is all to say,
that even the smallest things on an out of warranty vehicle can add up to the cost of purchasing a new one…

😔
-reluctant new Tesla owner
hey fam 👋🏼

I would hope that you didn't pay so much for a used car that it would have been financially beneficial to go new rather than pay $3000 for repairs.

Anyway, you should get an independent mechanic to check out the suspension. Those parts are all available aftermarket and should be a reasonable fix. 80-90k is when a Tesla will need all new suspension bushings. It is the only way to make it ride like a new car.

Seatbelt malfunction should be an easy fix and, being a safety item, you may get the dealer you bought it from to handle.

well, not exactly the same $,
but within a $7k difference between a used 2020 M3P and a new MY makes it a hurt just a bit…

having Tesla handle the control arm issue,
and hoping the dealer will take another look at the seatbelt issue,
though that and a turn signal going out under 4 years is quite ridiculous and not mileage based wear/tear…

anyhow…