Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Business Insider issued a story today about the high cost for Tesla repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's more expensive, but not to the level we see on the Tesla. My other vehicle is about 40% aluminum, and has a structurally-identical non-aluminum variant. Repairing the aluminum trim version is approximately 20% more expensive than its steel counterpart, and parts are between 10% and 20% more expensive. Many cars now have some aluminum substructures or sheet metal, so shops that can handle aluminum are becoming much more common.

What I'm getting at is that aluminum is a factor in our sky-high repair costs, but likely not the main one.

Agreed.

Shop around. IMO your insurer is testing to see whether you're willing to spend 15 minutes and switch.

last time I switched I checked something like 8 different carriers. Even at 15 minutes each it would add up and the two I liked the most I spent well more than 15 minutes trying various coverage levels to min/max the coverage costs.

Still the next time I have to switch I'll probably only check the best 4 instead of all 8. I don't bother with the ones that require phone calls or have crummy websites anymore. I've got a credit card and the whole process is automated. I should be able to do it from the PC of my choice at any day or time and not have to deal with a salesperson.

Last edited:
I phoned around to see if any other auto insurer could offer a better deal than the one I was getting quoted from current provider.
Nope. The 3 or so I checked all came in higher. So I stuck with my 30 year provider and have a pretty decent rate.

Liability is the only required auto insurance where I live. Liability is pretty much the same anywhere you buy it.
You can choose your own collision and repair levels of insurance and deductibles.

Collision and damage insurance is just risk mitigation, for what is essentially a gamble of driving on the road.
You don't have to pay for this insurance if you think you're a great driver. Be self-insuring.
Invest the money you would have spent on the insurance, and if/when needed just cover the repair yourself out of pocket.
And if it was caused by the other guy fault, you're covered under his liability, lucky day.
If you did the damage yourself, it's amazing how repair shops have dropped their prices when you tell them it's out of your pocket no insurance company is involved.
If you do a really good number on the car, it's a write-off.. and your own fault... then bad day for you.
Buy a new car instead instead of repairing it, and get all the new gadgets while you're at it.

Now, you know what it's like to be an auto insurance company.

I have a dashcam because it's very important for me to determine at-fault.

Part of the high cost to repair Tesla's is you have to use only their authorized body shops and this gives the body shops an excuse to charge what ever they want. Some insurance companies do have their authorized body shops but this is because they will only pay for repairs based on there formula which is much less than these body shops would normally charge. So if you want the business you charge less, Tesla has not done this and if they are going to only use certain body shops they should require them to do those repairs at a prescribed discount. Until this happens and insurance companies find out that they are getting ripped off they will continue to raise rates for Tesla repairs.

Last edited:
I have an agreed value policy for replacement cost. If anyone would like to point that child w/ bat in my direction, they can have at it as I order a new P85D.

- - - Updated - - -

What statistics? We've got anecdotal evidence from body repair shops that say they're seeing more Tesla's than other vehicles (wouldn't call that statistics). I haven't seen anyone post any concrete statistics that show that Tesla's are in more accidents.

I don't think it's that Teslas are involved in more accidents, just that the ones that are cause horrific accidents and the cost to repair is astronomical.

Part of the high cost to repair Tesla's is you have to use only their authorized body shops and this gives the body shops an excuse to charge what ever they want.

Huh? I have never used a "Tesla authorized body shop". I used who I wanted to, and they fixed my dent (two now) by repairing the dent and the bumper. The cost to repair was very inexpensive (less than a thousand). Tesla was not involved, and neither did I involve my insurance company as it was such a low cost.

All this stuff about high cost to repair aluminum seems to be just that -- stuff. Someone is getting ripped off because they buy the story.

Sure, I've seen repair needed where the body shop wants to replace the major part, but often the part can be repaired. It's just easier to charge for a new part. I've been around the block a few times, done body work and mechanic-ing and I have to say there is room for a lot of cheating and over charging. Like anywhere else, you get what you pay for -- if you're careful.

I suppose now Tesla will not stand behind my warranty. Not.

Fixing aluminum body panels does require more expertise and some specialized tools, but as there are already numerous aluminum cars out on the market, I don't see how the Model S can be that much different. Additionally, now that Ford has released their all-aluminum F-Series pickup trucks, and will be subsidizing body shops for training and tools, there should be an increase in the number of aluminum-competent repair facilities, which should, in theory, reduce the costs.

Huh? I have never used a "Tesla authorized body shop". I used who I wanted to, and they fixed my dent (two now) by repairing the dent and the bumper. The cost to repair was very inexpensive (less than a thousand). Tesla was not involved, and neither did I involve my insurance company as it was such a low cost.

All this stuff about high cost to repair aluminum seems to be just that -- stuff. Someone is getting ripped off because they buy the story.

Sure, I've seen repair needed where the body shop wants to replace the major part, but often the part can be repaired. It's just easier to charge for a new part. I've been around the block a few times, done body work and mechanic-ing and I have to say there is room for a lot of cheating and over charging. Like anywhere else, you get what you pay for -- if you're careful.

I suppose now Tesla will not stand behind my warranty. Not.
I think it also has to do with the extent of repairs, and if you pay for it you can go to any body shop. Once you involve your insurance and if you have more extensive damage then this will be where the cost to repair will affect your insurance premium down the road. Articles like this one will not help any of us when it comes to insurance premiums.