Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Build 2.42.40 improves USB audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep wondering if this is a new bug. If there are or are not track numbers in the actual filename, does that somehow conflict with the ID3 tag track field.

I have to check my files.

This morning I selected the folder with the 5 Beethoven Piano Concertos. On the screen they seeemed to be jumbled up but when I selected the 5th Concerto all of the movements played in the correct order.

I assume you mean size wise? If it is lossless, theoretically shouldn't it sound exactly the same?

Sound is identical (to my ear)
Size:
Sample 1: Rolling Stones Brown Sugar, FLAC 24.926MB, WMA 25.026 MB
Sample 2: Nora Jones Sunrise, FLAC 19.272MB, WMA 18.349MB
Sample 3: ELO Mr. Blue Sky, FLAC 34.168MB, WMA 33.981 MB
Fairly similar sizes

Also of note, the XM labels are back on my favourites.......

Original Top 10 List Updated

1. Alpha-shortcuts

CONFIRMED FIXED - Letter list/alpha shortcuts for song/album/artist lists are back

2. Album Playback Order

CONFIRMED FIXED - Album Playback - Album tracks are being played alphabetically instead of by track number

3. Search

SEMI-FIXED (text input search works, voice search is hit or miss) Returning to a search result using back button initiates the Search you just did by prepopulating the Search box, however, the results do not include USB media unless you select the Search text and press the Search button again

4. Playback Resume

NOT FIXED (possibly related to how much time has elapsed until driver returns) – Tracks still reset to beginning when exiting and then returning to the vehicle. Observed slight causality with track resetting when a driver returns to the car after longer than 15min from leaving it – need more testing

5. Shuffle Toggle / Shuffle Function

NOT FIXED (randomly turns off between USB sources, player sources, entering/existing vehicle) Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources / it is also not persistent at other random times throughout the day when entering/exiting the vehicle

CONFIRMED FIXED – Shuffle does actually seem to be more random

6. File Directory Listing

NOT FIXED(folders should be listed first alphabetically, and then files next alphabetically) Files and folders still intermixed in Folder View. And items are using ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ as alphabetical markers. These prefixes should be ignored for alphabetical sorting. For ex. ‘The Beatles’ should be under “B”, not “T”

7. USB Input Scanning

BETTER (better on re-scans, possibly the same with initial scans) – check Power Savings Bug

8. Equalizer Forgetting Settings

UNKNOWN (but has not happened since .20) - Equalizer - Bass/Mid/Treble settings are not saved overnight sometimes / unsure if it is triggered by changing USB audio sources, difficult to replicate

9. USB Input Naming

CONFIRMED FIXED - Volume Naming - Spaces in USB volume name are represented by the ASCII value "\x20" and not as the intended <space> / again, not necesarily a problem if this was intentional on how to handle non-alphanumeric characters

10. Multi-artist Album

NOT FIXED - Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: sorka and MP3Mike
4. Playback Resume

NOT FIXED (possibly related to how much time has elapsed until driver returns) – Tracks still reset to beginning when exiting and then returning to the vehicle. Observed slight causality with track resetting when a driver returns to the car after longer than 15min from leaving it – need more testing
No matter how much time has lapsed if you enter from the passenger side it will play from the beginning.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
No matter how much time has lapsed if you enter from the passenger side it will play from the beginning.
THAT'S IT. I was paying attention to the doors AND the timing. Left side entry, with re-entry in under 15min did not trigger a restart. I'm going to test this more extensively. I was going to try separating the two variables next, timing and doors. This might make sense because of the new passenger-inside-the-vehicle-MCU-remains-on feature.

Oh my. Just found this one. Yet another Media Player 8.0 thread.

FWIW, I also received 2.42.40 yesterday morning. I spent most of the day investigating USB support. If you care about the excruciating detail, including why you may find your tracks displaying and playing in different sequences depending on what view you use to access them, THIS POST may be of help.

Reactions: hiroshiy

10. Multi-artist Album

NOT FIXED - Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated

Sorry, but after spending most of yesterday in Media Player debugging mode, now that I take the time trying to really understand this, if I were a Tesla Designer/Programmer, I wouldn't know what to do. There is no "Multi-artist album tag" that I'm aware of in the ID3 specification. There is TRACKARTIST which should list all artists for a specific track (generally separated by comma's, but there are variants), and ALBUMARTIST that should be only the major artist or group for that album. Both should generally exist in every well-tagged track. There is also PARTOFCOMPILATION that if it has a "1" would indicate this is a compilation album, but honestly, it's use is so hit-or-miss and the definition of what a compilation is varies so much from provider-to-provider and listener-to-listener, I'm not sure there is high value in it's use. I wouldn't if I were Tesla.

Perhaps all this enhancement request is trying to say is "If TRACKARTIST is blank or does not exist, use the value of ALBUMARTIST if it exists (and vice-versa)". That's a whole lot easier perhaps. ;) If that is what we mean, the reality is, we're asking Tesla to mask problems in the track tagging an owner provides -- not really fixing a bug Tesla introduced or a missed standard feature. That's fine, I'm just trying to set expectations of bug resolution vs enhancements. I still think as you've seen from me in your Comprehensive USB Bug List thread, that Tesla should really use ALBUMARTIST instead of TRACKARTIST as they are across the UI for a number of reasons. Regardless, my workaround script does presently handle the situation if it finds a blank TRACKARTIST or ALBUMARTIST by replacing it with "Unknown" -- my thought being it would be a trigger if I saw that in my MS to go back and fix my source tagging, but of course I could have had it do the switcheroo routine instead.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Any improvement with XM navigation?
According to the release notes, they only made changes to the USB. XM is not changed and still no way to browse or direct select an XM channel. Best I can find is that you have to search by description and hope you entered something that will make the channel you want appear in the search results. So far, I have not figured out the secret handshake to find a specific channel.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Sorry, but after spending most of yesterday in Media Player debugging mode, now that I take the time trying to really understand this, if I were a Tesla Designer/Programmer, I wouldn't know what to do. There is no "Multi-artist album tag" that I'm aware of in the ID3 specification. There is TRACKARTIST which should list all artists for a specific track (generally separated by comma's, but there are variants), and ALBUMARTIST that should be only the major artist or group for that album. Both should generally exist in every well-tagged track. There is also PARTOFCOMPILATION that if it has a "1" would indicate this is a compilation album, but honestly, it's use is so hit-or-miss and the definition of what a compilation is varies so much from provider-to-provider and listener-to-listener, I'm not sure there is high value in it's use. I wouldn't if I were Tesla.

Perhaps all this enhancement request is trying to say is "If TRACKARTIST is blank or does not exist, use the value of ALBUMARTIST if it exists (and vice-versa)". That's a whole lot easier perhaps. ;) If that is what we mean, the reality is, we're asking Tesla to mask problems in the track tagging an owner provides -- not really fixing a bug Tesla introduced or a missed standard feature. That's fine, I'm just trying to set expectations of bug resolution vs enhancements. I still think as you've seen from me in your Comprehensive USB Bug List thread, that Tesla should really use ALBUMARTIST instead of TRACKARTIST as they are across the UI for a number of reasons. Regardless, my workaround script does presently handle the situation if it finds a blank TRACKARTIST or ALBUMARTIST by replacing it with "Unknown" -- my thought being it would be a trigger if I saw that in my MS to go back and fix my source tagging, but of course I could have had it do the switcheroo routine instead.

That's my fault, I was trying to translate from what you were saying. And I think the end result was supposed to be if track artist doesn't exist, use album artist. It's really your fault for not explaining it better, I take no responsibility. You should really write up a detailed post about how .40 works and how the tags are interpreted......

• Love
Reactions: BertL
According to the release notes, they only made changes to the USB. XM is not changed and still no way to browse or direct select an XM channel. Best I can find is that you have to search by description and hope you entered something that will make the channel you want appear in the search results. So far, I have not figured out the secret handshake to find a specific channel.
Hummm. Agree with no mention about XM in the release notes, but at least with my 2.42.40, I do have a way now to get to XM channels.
  • From Media Player, select Radio
    • In upper right corner of Media Player where it has "AM | FM | XM" underneath it is a new "Stations" button
    • Select Stations
      • You now have a screen that shows all your Radio (AM, FM, XM) Favorites, but if you scroll down, you'll see an XM-only section. It shows the XM-defined genre of only the channels you are subscribed to. Select the genre, and it opens up the channels you have available with your subscription. You can select one from there.
Yes, this new XM Stations listing is a bit hidden perhaps under Radio Favorites, but with this 8.0 interface it pays to always try to scroll in case there is more to see. The UI just does not do a great job consistently indicating when there is more to be seen up or down from where you are.

I ripped my initial 500 music files into lossless WMA using Media player. (same reason as @dgpcolorado ) I discovered FLAC later; the balance 1000+ were ripped to FLAC. The lossless WMA are just as good as FLAC....but they don't play in 8.0, but did in 7.1. I did have dialogue with a tech at Tesla....and the claimed that some types (there are 4) of WMA will play. I guess lossless aren't one of them. I have since converted all of the lossless WMA to FLAC.

I keep 3 of these loaded with FLAC files. They work great and the low profile means there's nothing sticking out of the usb port that you can hit and break. https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultr...UTF8&qid=1478196883&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+128gb

Last edited:
I keep 3 of these loaded with FLAC files. They work great and the low profile means there's nothing sticking out of the usb port that you can hit and break. https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultr...UTF8&qid=1478196883&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+128gb
I agree these are a wonderful low-cost and lowest profile sticks on the market.

I found at least the one I owned ran extremely hot -- to the point you can't hold them by the metal piece for long after removing them from the MS port. I was probably overly worried, but switched devices and don't use this any more in my MS... it worried me too much having that sort of excessive and continual heat in the USB ports.

I keep wondering if this is a new bug. If there are or are not track numbers in the actual filename, does that somehow conflict with the ID3 tag track field.
Pre-8.0, when browsing by "Folders", songs would list and display in filename order
Original-8.0, when browsing by "Folders", songs would list and display by ID3 song title alphabetical order. (completely ignoring filename order and ID3 track numbers) This basically made original 8.0 useless for listening to albums without completely reorganizing and metadata-mutilating my entire collection. Really hoping this 8.0 update fixes that.

I have one like this. Tiny, which is nice in one way. But the devil to remove once it is in the USB slot. So I resorted to a short (4 inch) USB cable, and plug the memory stick into that. Then when i want to remove the memory stick from the car and bring it in for editing, I remove the cable and plug it into the PC. That way I never have to wrestle with the tiny memory stick. (The right angle doohickey described in the post above can accomplish the same thing.)

• Voice and text search now return USB results at the top of the list. HOWEVER, the songs I tried (looked to make sure they were there first) didn't come up in the search :-( It's possible that it's still indexing for search though.
When 8.0 first installed (2.42.40) this didn't work for me either but did the next day so I suspect there was indeed additional background intexing at play here.