Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugs in Tail Light!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No bugs but in the right tail light/lens but water has been entering the trunk every time it rains. One day I'm going to take the molding out and find out the location of the leak. Some of use may remember the old days when the tail light lenses could be removed for the out side. Never had water/moisture or bugs in the tail lights of any car I purchased except my "S".

My wish is that TESLA would make more of an effort to redesign the little tings that make a car an excellent vehicle. They can improve the fit and finish but they would rather give you AP 37 then fix the tail light , or the placement of the seat belt so that it does not cut your neck. Lets hope that Elon will soon ( could that be Tesla soon ) be motivated to improve the build quality of the metal and cut back a little on the electronics. Yah, not a snowballs chance in hell..

My service center was once again extremely accommodating in addressing the issues, including switching out both of my tail lights due to the mosquitoes that found their way inside.

Unfortunately, while they did stuff some insulating material into the passenger A-pillar, I still hear a rattling noise over there.

They even swapped out the entire center console because they thought there may have been a noise coming from there as well. My steering wheel is still a bit off-center to the left despite going through a 2nd alignment check within as many months. Oh well.

Even though everything didn't get corrected on this recent trip, at least they resolved the tail light bug issue. They didn't even hesitate to switch out the dented "Model S" name plate on the driver's door threshold when I asked if anything could be done. I consider myself fortunate to have such an awesome service center.

Reactions: David.85D
My service center was once again extremely accommodating in addressing the issues, including switching out both of my tail lights due to the mosquitoes that found their way inside.

Unfortunately, while they did stuff some insulating material into the passenger A-pillar, I still hear a rattling noise over there.

They even swapped out the entire center console because they thought there may have been a noise coming from there as well. My steering wheel is still a bit off-center to the left despite going through a 2nd alignment check within as many months. Oh well.

Even though everything didn't get corrected on this recent trip, at least they resolved the tail light bug issue. They didn't even hesitate to switch out the dented "Model S" name plate on the driver's door threshold when I asked if anything could be done. I consider myself fortunate to have such an awesome service center.

Wait until warranty is out and you have to pay $1000 for these tail lights.

Wait until warranty is out and you have to pay $1000 for these tail lights.

Things will definately not be as awesome when the warranty runs out. An associate quickly went over the cost of the extended warranties when my wife asked. And yes, policy refunds are possible. But as I pointed out: refunds minus the cost of any warranty work.

I may try @AmpedRealtor 's idea noted above first.

• Funny
Reactions: KidDoc
So taking a closer look at the headlights there appears to be a opening at the top corner, middle (not outer) side of the taillight. Is this where the bugs might be entering?

Has anybody tried sealing this up? Silicone would be messy I imagine, anc tape would be tacky. But I hate the idea of bugs getting in there.

Any better solutions people have come up with?

I had water in my taillights & leaking into my trunk + mosquitoes in them a long time ago and they were replaced. Now I have the outer taillights (not on the trunk lid) cracking after I went to Arizona. dry 80F vs moist ~65F and this happens. seems like what a cheap replacement light would do. It took one day to go from crazed marks to cracked all the way through.
At least I wont have to redo my applique again when I fix these
IMG-0243.JPG

Reviving old thread.
Thanks for helping me make some sense out of Tesla telling me i need to pay $1000 for this end of lease situation:
18168A80-A077-4E50-80DA-51FFD899C6C6.jpeg

I return this car on Friday, and am short on time to fix this myself. Plenty of tail lights on eBay, but I would also need proper double-sided tape, hours to spare and possibly a new chrome appliqué.

This guy seems to succeed in taking the light out without wrecking the appliqué:

• Informative
Reactions: rjscoder
Curious about this charge on the lease return. Are they going to charge you for the damage, then charge the new owner to fix it after it’s delivered?
Great question, but I have no clue. I assume they would fix it before reselling the car.

In other news, thanks to this thread, I went and looked at my lights today. I may be catching a break here: you can barely see it in the picture above, but there is a bug in that tail light (an inch from the bottom left corner). I'll try and talk to a service center about it, and see about them admitting they would change the light out anyway.

Great question, but I have no clue. I assume they would fix it before reselling the car.

In other news, thanks to this thread, I went and looked at my lights today. I may be catching a break here: you can barely see it in the picture above, but there is a bug in that tail light (an inch from the bottom left corner). I'll try and talk to a service center about it, and see about them admitting they would change the light out anyway.
Service Center is telling me this is a “manufacturer defect” and that the tail light would be changed at no cost to me. Crack or not.
My lease return has been delayed by a few days, so I will believe it when I see it!

This is absolutely a design flaw. Nothing like pulling up in your $100k ride with dead cockroaches clearly visible in your tail lights. And the fact that it's so expensive and difficult to fix - just rip out all that plastic, toss it in the landfill, and replace at great expense. Ridiculous and embarassing.

Reactions: DCEV and KidDoc
So taking a closer look at the headlights there appears to be a opening at the top corner, middle (not outer) side of the taillight. Is this where the bugs might be entering?

Has anybody tried sealing this up? Silicone would be messy I imagine, anc tape would be tacky. But I hate the idea of bugs getting in there.

Any better solutions people have come up with?

Don’t seal it completely. The air inside will expand as it warms up and needs to escape and then it needs to draw air in as it cools to avoid creating a vacuum.

You could tape or hot glue some fabric over the vents or extra fine metal mesh?

Tail lights replaced for the 2nd time due to bugs getting in. Coming up on 50K miles, so I'll have to find a way to get those little things out the next time they crawl in there.

Just had both LED headlights replaced too as a result of the light beginning to fade/burn out.