Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubbles on Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_5841.JPG
Just saw these the other day, never noticed it before....anybody have any idea what they are or how they got there?

Yes. I've heard some owners been reporting this issue from time to time.

It works fine as long as you have lots of towels ready to catch the slimy clear LIQUID leaking from the screen.

The screen technology is LIQUID crystal display.

So you've got to catch its LIQUID some day.

There's another alternative which is to have Tesla replace it for free under warranty.

If you are out of standard warranty, it's kind of expensive.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what Tam is talking about, but yes, older 17" touch screens on cars (I notice yours is Feb 2013) do have this issue from time to time. If your car is still under warranty (did you buy the extended service agreement?), it is a free replacement. I had this on my Model S for 6 months before doing anything about it - it didn't cause any problems.

I'm not sure what Tam is talking about, but yes, older 17" touch screens on cars (I notice yours is Feb 2013) do have this issue from time to time. If your car is still under warranty (did you buy the extended service agreement?), it is a free replacement. I had this on my Model S for 6 months before doing anything about it - it didn't cause any problems.

I have the extended warranty so will pay the $200 copay and get it replaced.

Will probably wait 6-12 months so I get a display that will last a longer period of time.

I have the extended warranty so will pay the $200 copay and get it replaced.

Will probably wait 6-12 months so I get a display that will last a longer period of time.
You are better off replacing it sooner. There is a sticky, nasty goo leaking out the bottom of the screen and making a mess in that area. Eventually it will make its way down into the cubby.

Personally, I think cabin overheat protection was created at least partially to address this problem. So you won't need to worry about the replacement screen having the same problem in a couple years.

• Informative
Reactions: highedu
Tesla evidently had some problems with some of the early touchscreen displays, possibly an adhesive problem on the touchscreen membrane on top of the display.

Anyone seeing this problem should get it fixed. If you're outside of the warranty, due to the number of touchscreen failures in the early models, hopefully Tesla will give some consideration to that and not charge you for the entire module - which is more than just the display.

The out of warranty cost has been reported to be 4500.
Not any more. Originally you had to replace the entire MCU which was $4,500. Now they offer a screen-only replacement for ~$1,200.

The current view is that heat is the culprit. The new screens have some extra felt tape in between the face of the screen and the metal trim that should help slow heat transfer from the hot trim to the screen.

Not any more. Originally you had to replace the entire MCU which was $4,500. Now they offer a screen-only replacement for ~$1,200.

The current view is that heat is the culprit. The new screens have some extra felt tape in between the face of the screen and the metal trim that should help slow heat transfer from the hot trim to the screen.

Unfortunately the replacement cost out of warranty is $2,510 according to the Austin service center. And I am 6 months out of warranty!!!

I must say, this is the first time I have been disappointed in Tesla. If this was a known issue they should have been fixing it before it came up, not until what appears to be a desire to let them get out of warranty then charging $$$$ for it.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Unfortunately the replacement cost out of warranty is $2,510 according to the Austin service center. And I am 6 months out of warranty!!!

I must say, this is the first time I have been disappointed in Tesla. If this was a known issue they should have been fixing it before it came up, not until what appears to be a desire to let them get out of warranty then charging $$$$ for it.

Ask for them to fix it under good will. Tell them it's a design defect that should be covered out of warranty. Start with the service manager and go up from there until you get some satisfaction. These touch screens should not be failing like this and should have been properly designed for this application. The screen replaces important functions by knobs and switches which have a much, much longer life. How long is the replacement part warranted for, a year? What's the guarantee that the new part won't have the same issue in another 2-3 years?

Reactions: xborg

2500 is too high. The cost is 1200 for the digitizer alone, and thats the only thing that needs fixed. Ask them what they are replacing, or post a picture of the service quote here and I'll find the proper part numbers (if i am able).