Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breakthrough in Nuclear Fusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's great news, but I wish they'd clarify the numbers to more media outlets.

2MJ of laser energy input produced 3MJ of output. However, to produce that 2MJ of laser energy took 300MJ when you look at the whole system. Some good news there is the 3MJ was with only 4% of the fuel burning, so lots of potential for improvement.

True. It requires more energy to get the laser up and running, so it's actually an energy loss.

However fusion has been happening in the sun and stars, but now it happens in the lab; that's progress.

Someone must work out the details and fine-tune the process to make it practical.

True. It requires more energy to get the laser up and running, so it's actually an energy loss.

However fusion has been happening in the sun and stars, but now it happens in the lab; that's progress.

Someone must work out the details and fine-tune the process to make it practical.

Fusion has been happening in controlled laboratory settings for a while. Here's a PDF from LANL, a retrospective article written in 1983, that says "The first experiment in which thermonuclear fusion was achieved in any laboratory was done in 1958 with the Scylla I machine." https://sgp.fas.org/othergov/doe/lanl/pubs/00285870.pdf. That was 64 years ago--we've been screwing around with fusion for much longer than screwing around with getting back to the moon.

What is new here is that the amount of energy needed to trigger the reaction is less than what was produced by the reaction.

As others have pointed out, the lasers that supplied the energy for the reactions are quite inefficient. Apparently the lasers in this experiment were built in the 80s so we could achieve some efficiency improvements merely by not using ancient technology. But it would be nowhere near enough to solve efficiency issues all on its own. Why are we doing this with 40 year old laser technology? Well...

I misplaced the link, but a few years ago I read an article about he history of funding of fusion research. Apparently several decades ago (early 70s?) a study was done as part of a research proposal, to estimate the amount of funding necessary worldwide to "solve" this problem of fusion energy production for the grid. They had two extremes, one to solve it as fast as possible (i.e. within the constraints of time needed to do the work and construct facilities). Of course that's guesswork. But at the other end of the spectrum was the minimum amount, and I found the concept very interesting. It was basically the amount of funding needed to keep research facilities going: power the lights, mow the grass, empty the trash, answer the phones, security guards, as well as pay researchers' salaries but not give them money to conduct experiments. The article succinctly summarized this as "The maximum amount of money you can spend in order to achieve nothing". It is, unfortunately, the latter which governments have been spending for the last fifty years. I think the conclusion here is that if we had taken it seriously and treated it like a modern-day Manhattan Project, then we could have solved this already and we wouldn't be worried about global warming, fallout from failed fission reactors, or how many batteries are needed for when the wind doesn't blow (or how to recycle those batteries when they're exhausted).

To put things in context :

"One of the ITER objectives is a Q-value ("fusion gain") of 10. Q = 1 is called a breakeven. The best result achieved in a tokamak is 0.67 in the JET tokamak.[43] The best result achieved for fusion in general is Q = 1.5, achieved in an inertial confinement fusion (ICF) experiment by the National Ignition Facility in late 2022.[13]

For commercial fusion power stations, engineering gain factor is important. Engineering gain factor is defined as the ratio of a plant electrical power output to electrical power input of all plant's internal systems (tokamak external heating systems, electromagnets, cryogenics plant, diagnostics and control systems, etc.).[44] Commercial fusion plants will be designed with engineering breakeven in mind (see DEMO). Some nuclear engineers consider a Q of 100 is required for commercial fusion power stations to be viable"

[first operation for ITER is expected in sequential commissioning then testing phases during 2025-2035]

from

By the way, there is value in doing high power laser research that has nothing to do with fusion. I have a sneaking suspiciob that NIF is a spin-off from other more militaristic high power laser work, perhaps as closely related as Hubble was to Keyhole .....

Imagine where solar/battery storage will be in the 30 years it takes for fusion to become commercially viable. So cheap that fusion will probably be irrelevant.

Not to mention model of everyone connected to a centralized power plant is unsustainable . Energy produced where it is consumed is the future,

Fusion is useful in space travel compared to solar/battery.

Reactions: SmokyPeat
Elon has already commented that even if fusion is successful, rooftop solar will be cheaper for homes.
Fusion will be great one day, but in the mean time we already have the technology to convert essentially all to non-fossil fuel/non-radioactive energy generation.

Generation via Solar/wind/tidal/geothermal/hydro combined with various storage options.

Many forget that boring old Nuclear Fission was hailed as a momentous event that would bring “free“ energy to the world. Didn‘t do anything of the sort.

Last edited:
I think the conclusion here is that if we had taken it seriously and treated it like a modern-day Manhattan Project, then we could have solved this already and we wouldn't be worried about global warming, fallout from failed fission reactors, or how many batteries are needed for when the wind doesn't blow (or how to recycle those batteries when they're exhausted).

The physical limitations of converting heat into electricity are a fundamental barrier to making fusion or fission an economic competitor to solar and wind. It's far easier to manufacture 10MW of solar and 10MWs inverter than a 10MW steam turbine and all the equipment required to support that steam turbine. Not to mention the maintenance costs.

Regardless of the energy source we're going to need Hydrogen. A LOT of Hydrogen. So reaching economies of scale for electrolysis is inevitable. Once that happens that's the 'unlimited' battery that doesn't get 'exhausted'. I'm a lot more excited about getting to $1/kg H2 from electrolysis than Qplasma of >1.

Reactions: petit_bateau
This pretty much sums it up. Fusion might help to remove solar and wind farms from the landscape in 40 - 50 years. It's not going to help address climate change.

The World Should Be 100% Powered By Renewable Energy Before Nuclear Fusion Is Commercially Competitive

I wonder if Edward Teller would agree this is a breakthrough. Didn't we achieve Qplasma > 1 in 1952?

As an aside, many years ago I went to a talk that Teller gave at Stanford. Just wanted to hear a great scientist in person. It was during the Reagan Administration, and the so-called "Star Wars" funding was being bandied about. Teller was all in for it and gave very specific reasons. After the talk I commented to the woman sitting next to me how Cool it was to listen to someone of his stature give a talk. She replied that she was so mad at him, she could hardly restrain herself... Two sides of a coin...

I've also been on a tour of the NIF at Livermore. Place is definitely not on the "minimum budget possible" plan. It is massive. There is one area of it which was used as the background in a Star Trek movie.

An international project in nuclear fusion may face years of delays, its boss has said, weeks after scientists in the United States announced a breakthrough in their own quest for the coveted goal.
The International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (Iter) project seeks to prove the feasibility of fusion as a large-scale and carbon-free source of energy.
Installed at a site in southern France, the decades-old initiative has a long history of technical challenges and cost overruns.

Believe new technology Fission is a much easer, cheaper, quicker and safer solution to inexpensive energy to power our civilizations.

Fusion is the future of energy, and always will be...

And yet fission is still struggling to find an economically viable role in our energy mix.

I've never understood how any fission is supposed to make our net-zero target easier. Demand isn't flat. The number I see cited often is that we should get 30% of our energy from nuclear for 'firm baseload'. Ok, so 30% of annual generation comes from nuclear. For a place such as Texas that's ~7GW of nuclear. During the polar vortex when demand hit its peak while solar and wind capacity was reduced from lack of sun and wind ERCOT demand was ~70GW. 7GW would have met 10% of demand. The nuclear capacity to meet that 10% would cost more than the gas turbines able to meet the other 90%. How is that helping? The solution is a renewable fuel like Hydrogen we can use to operate cheap per GW turbines.

Anybody got numbers on this?

They haven't achieved Q-plasma yet or that would have been all over the news. Q-total is ~2-3 orders of magnitude more challenging. It is encouraging they have a method of energy recovery that doesn't involve thermal. Anything that requires using heat as an intermediate step towards electricity isn't even worth considering.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr