Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this actually work for anyone?

Mrs and I both had iPhone X’s bought at the same time. The Bluetooth (and therefore seat adjustment) has never worked correctly regardless of who’s in the car first, who’s walks past first or any other mysterious methods of touching door handles, hiding behind garage doors etc. Mine has always had the priority switched on, but doesn’t get priority if the Mrs is anywhere close.

I’ve upgraded to a iPhone 13 thinking (hoping!!) Bluetooth priority maybe better by way of range or strength. Wishful thinking! Still getting the knee crunch as I go to drive off and still continually finds the Mrs phone first.

Last edited:
Does this actually work for anyone?

Mrs and I both had iPhone X’s bought at the same time. The Bluetooth (and therefore seat adjustment) has never worked correctly regardless of who’s in the car first, who’s walks past first or any other mysterious methods of touching door handles, hiding behind garage doors etc. Mine has always had the priority switched on, but doesn’t get priority if the Mrs is anywhere close.

I’ve upgraded to a iPhone 13 thinking (hoping!!) Bluetooth priority maybe better by way of range or strength. Wishful thinking! Still getting the knee crunch as I go to drive off and still continually finds the Mrs phone first.
Same here

I’m pretty sure that setting a particular phone as a priority device in the Bluetooth settings is only to do with which device gets priority for the audio playback, phone and calendar sync. Not the phone-as-a-key and driver profiles functionality. So you having that setting on for your phone does not mean yours will be the auto chosen one for driver profile. Yes that does seem to be some sort of magical selection.

In our case I drive the Tesla and my wife has a Mazda 3. So I am by far the most common driver of it and when we do drive together 99% of the time it’s me driving. So what we have taken to doing is my wife will only launch the Tesla App when she is actually going to drive the Tesla somewhere. Then as soon as she gets home she will force quit the app so it no longer functions as a key and that way if she is close when I hop in or if we are going somewhere together then my phone and therefore profile are the only one available so is selected by default.

Now, getting back to the first paragraph, this does not stop her phone from being the one auto selected for Bluetooth audio playback. I am constantly setting my phone as the priority Bluetooth device but it somehow switches to hers all the time. When it’s just me in the car it’s usually ok and I can just hit play on the audio on the Tesla and whatever was last playing on my phone starts playing in the car. However if my wife is in the car as well she will often connect her phone to the Bluetooth and play music through her phone so she can pick it up and choose songs etc as she is not driving. The best we can come up with is that because she often does this, for some reason it will automatically change the priority device to her phone with no input from us. The other day I got in to drive off and even though my wife was in our bedroom her phone was in Bluetooth range and connected to the audio and I had to drive off to get out of range before mine would connect. While I was out I changed priority back to my phone again.

So in summary. If it is you that drives most, get your missus to quit the app on her phone and you won’t have this issue. And secondly the Bluetooth priority is only relevant for audio as evidenced by the fact that even when my phone is the only one with the app open and has auto chosen my profile when we both get in the car her phone will still connect to audio first because it keeps setting itself as the priority Bluetooth device.
So yes it is frustrating and should be fixed somehow but this is how you get around half of the issue at least.

I’m pretty sure that setting a particular phone as a priority device in the Bluetooth settings is only to do with which device gets priority for the audio playback, phone and calendar sync. Not the phone-as-a-key and driver profiles functionality. So you having that setting on for your phone does not mean yours will be the auto chosen one for driver profile. Yes that does seem to be some sort of magical selection.
This is right, but the selection of the driver profile based on phone isn't magical - it's just a different configuration setting than the priority device one.

This option is in Security -> Keys. If you tap the Person icon next to a key (card or phone), it will associate that key with the currently active driver profile.

I’m pretty sure that setting a particular phone as a priority device in the Bluetooth settings is only to do with which device gets priority for the audio playback, phone and calendar sync

Yes I agree with you here, but the driver profile is linked to the phone as cafz wrote above (at least in my case.)
It doesn’t make sense that the car would connect to a device for audio/phone purposes but doesn’t use the same phones driver profile when it’s already connected to it.

At least I know I’m not the only one with the annoyance.

This is right, but the selection of the driver profile based on phone isn't magical - it's just a different configuration setting than the priority device one.

This option is in Security -> Keys. If you tap the Person icon next to a key (card or phone), it will associate that key with the currently active driver profile.
Yes, sorry, I am aware of that perhaps I worded it poorly. I didn't mention anything about connecting a particular profile to a particular phone because we weren't talking about that, only the Bluetooth Priority setting. I have done that with both mine and my wife's phones which I figured would have been obvious from my explanation that her driver profile would activate sometimes when we both got in the car together. Because of the OPs explanation I figured he had done that also so I just didn't mention it at all.

What I meant by "Magical" is the problem outlined by the OP. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to who's phone it chooses to believe is the "Driver" and therefore chooses that profile even if I opened the drivers side door first with my phone in my pocket.

Reactions: Leeroy