Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BLASTED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that this situation kicked off last week with around 30 to 40 forecourts (out of around 8,400 nationally) running out of fuel due to HGV driver shortages. The media picked this up (following briefings by some with a vested interest in whipping up any frenzy related to HGV driver shortages!) who then want on to sensationalise the situation, thereby manufacturing an actual crisis that did not exist previously.

Had this not initially been reported in the way that it was by the media, people would have carried on with their usual refilling regimes and we would simply not be in the situation we are in today. We may of course have ended up here at a later date, but who really knows!?
Not at all, and to me is a convenient lie from the government with no published data, I wonder why we haven't seen the actual amount of fuel sold being shared anywhere? This problem started months and months ago, there have been insufficient delivery drivers and petrol stations have had far lower stocks than normal. I saw a garage owner explaining he used to be able to order an amount of fuel and it would arrive the next day, but for the last 6 months that's been more like in 5 days and then sometimes it's 1 or 2 days late.

What happened last week was that a system that's under excessive stress then broke. First a few petrol stations had to close due to being completely empty, but then when people went to the next open that ended up empty quickly because it was low on stock, and so on. Sure an amount of excessive purchasing will have happened, but lets be realistic people can't easily buy more than their cars fuel tanks. They can't stockpile it in their garages. I would always fill my tank when empty when I had a fuel car, this is not unusual behavior. If this was really the case we would see everything bounce back and there be a massive surplus over the next weeks, however instead we are drafting in the army and being warned this will last a month.

I'm not sure I really see anything wrong when people who need their car, which is most people, panic a bit when their source of fuel isn't available and they need to sit in huge queues chasing the last dregs at a small number of functional petrol stations. Under normal circumstances there would have been enough fuel at the retailers and then none of this would happen.

The cause is clearly a shortage of lorry drivers, a company (BP) that seemingly made very poor choices about working standards so broke first, and a Government that was incapable of any kind of avoidance action having created a climate that meant European and many British drivers stopped working here.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
The electric bills are all going up then, even if they treat it as capital work and borrow the money. Great!

... or they stop doing the 'looped supply' work for free... and start charging you directly for ground work on Supply of an EV Charger.

That'll recover a massive amount, and slow down the adoption rate.

Fining people for unauthorised 'illegal' EV Charger installs for damage to infrastructure...

I also think, if you don't already have a home EV Charger installed, don't hang about... and don't assume you can have one.

Get it surveyed immediately.

If you're on a looped supply, at the moment its free to remove, all at the DNO expense (depending who your DNO is and their policy).

But I also think some housing estates and street cabling is so not capable, there maybe restrictions on how many EV Chargers can be added.

Get in too late and you might have a nasty surprise, and be denied based on delays for infrastructure upgrade (or a costly quote to do it early).

When I spoke with our DNO he said to me the quality of some Counties cabling, especially rural locations, is terrible.

It seems a lot of focus has been on renewables being able to Generate enough power, but they've completely overlooked the ability to get that increased power to peoples homes.

Last edited:
...and the elderly will retire at 70 and die of hypothermia (well those few that managed to survive covid) this saving on pensions. More money for vanity projects and brown envelopes. Win-win for gov, hurrah!

About 18 months ago when I started our house project, the very first task was to insulate.

We have a small 3 bedroom detached house built in 1996, so luckily have cavity walls, low ceilings, box room designs with a central stair well.

This turned out to be great, because we can close the doors in every room and keep the heat in... and low ceilings keeps the cubic capacity of the rooms low for EPC Calculations

I sealed up all the concrete floor gaps, skirting board gaps, fitted 6mm laminate glass double glazing with no trickle vents, all the external door gaps, sheeps wool loft insulation, thermally efficient front door, laminate glass patio doors.

I then converted everything to electric, induction hobs, inverter microwave, inverter fridge freezers, electric showers, tumble dryers, washing machines etc...

Then fitted a 7.2kWp Solar Array, Tesla Powerwall batteries, Tesla Gateway, 8kW car charger, 3kW water heater, 8kW Heat Pump, 3 phase cabling... and a Tesla Model 3 Performance car.

I then got an Energy Performance Assessment. We were awarded an A+ (scored 105)... The first A our assessor had ever done.

The reason being, we don't live in a massive house, with leaky rooms, and poor build insulation.

The EPC Rating is based on your quality of build, size of rooms and the ability to keep your energy use down.

I dread to think how some large houses will cope with EPC Ratings... especially if the Government start linking EPC Ratings to Council Tax Ratings or other chargeable services (like Mortgages, Utility bills).

I mention all this because houses from the old days, in lovely rural locations are doomed when associated with Energy use. An open coal fire radiating throughout the house was ideal to heat through stone, and gaping holes everywhere allowed the excess heat to escape.

These house are going to be a problem... and potentually VERY expensive to fix.

Last edited:
Not at all, and to me is a convenient lie from the government with no published data, I wonder why we haven't seen the actual amount of fuel sold being shared anywhere? This problem started months and months ago, there have been insufficient delivery drivers and petrol stations have had far lower stocks than normal. I saw a garage owner explaining he used to be able to order an amount of fuel and it would arrive the next day, but for the last 6 months that's been more like in 5 days and then sometimes it's 1 or 2 days late.

What happened last week was that a system that's under excessive stress then broke. First a few petrol stations had to close due to being completely empty, but then when people went to the next open that ended up empty quickly because it was low on stock, and so on. Sure an amount of excessive purchasing will have happened, but lets be realistic people can't easily buy more than their cars fuel tanks. They can't stockpile it in their garages. I would always fill my tank when empty when I had a fuel car, this is not unusual behavior. If this was really the case we would see everything bounce back and there be a massive surplus over the next weeks, however instead we are drafting in the army and being warned this will last a month.

I'm not sure I really see anything wrong when people who need their car, which is most people, panic a bit when their source of fuel isn't available and they need to sit in huge queues chasing the last dregs at a small number of functional petrol stations. Under normal circumstances there would have been enough fuel at the retailers and then none of this would happen.

The cause is clearly a shortage of lorry drivers, a company (BP) that seemingly made very poor choices about working standards so broke first, and a Government that was incapable of any kind of avoidance action having created a climate that meant European and many British drivers stopped working here.

I'm not sure of the specific data you would like to see, but I heard on BBC Radio 4 this morning that demand grew by 500% at the end of last week.

I agree with you that last week the system broke. But there was not a sudden drop in the number of available delivery drivers last week. There was also not a sudden drop in the amount of fuel available for delivery at the refineries. The system broke because demand at the pumps sky-rocketed following irresponsible reporting of what was at the time, a relatively minor issue..... unless of course it is considered responsible to warn the of an imminent fuel availability 'crisis' when at the time, less than 0.5% of forecourts were sitting empty.

I completely understand the public reaction. I'm not blaming them at all for this as I can't honestly say that I would not have joined them had I not had my Tesla safety net.

It is always possible to work backwards through the root-cause chain of an issue and it is often illuminating to see where people stop. Some choose to stop at the haulier shortage, some like to go back further and look to COVID or BREXIT for causing that shortage. Others may choose to go back further still and blame joining Europe in the first place as had we not done that, there would have been no BREXIT!

For my part, I could try blaming the Romans for building those damn roads, but I struggle to get past the irresponsible reporting last week at a time when there was no fuel availability 'crisis' (even if there were supply pressures) as the most significant factor.

Reactions: |Chris|
I'm not sure of the specific data you would like to see, but I heard on BBC Radio 4 this morning that demand grew by 500% at the end of last week.

I agree with you that last week the system broke. But there was not a sudden drop in the number of available delivery drivers last week. There was also not a sudden drop in the amount of fuel available for delivery at the refineries. The system broke because demand at the pumps sky-rocketed following irresponsible reporting of what was at the time, a relatively minor issue..... unless of course it is considered responsible to warn the of an imminent fuel availability 'crisis' when at the time, less than 0.5% of forecourts were sitting empty.
There was not a sudden drop in drivers but I am hearing that the stock levels at forecourts was low across the board anyway due to lack of drivers so its been a cumulative effect and so it sounds as if we have been primed for this for a while. All it took was a few stations actually running out and the media to blow it out of proportion and the dominos were already set up to fall.

Reactions: |Chris|

I completely understand the public reaction. I'm not blaming them at all for this as I can't honestly say that I would not have joined them had I not had my Tesla safety net.

It is always possible to work backwards through the root-cause chain of an issue and it is often illuminating to see where people stop. Some choose to stop at the haulier shortage, some like to go back further and look to COVID or BREXIT for causing that shortage. Others may choose to go back further still and blame joining Europe in the first place as had we not done that, there would have been no BREXIT!

For my part, I could try blaming the Romans for building those damn roads, but I struggle to get past the irresponsible reporting last week at a time when there was no fuel availability 'crisis' (even if there were supply pressures) as the most significant factor.

The 500% figure comes from here :- Demand for petrol soars 500% amid panic buying - as pumps run dry , the increase that one unnamed motorway service station claimed. Not an industry figure. If 50-90% of petrol stations were closed, hardly seems surprising that those still open saw more trade.

No one is suggesting there was any sudden drop, it is a long term drop that has been playing out for months. warnings have been given previously and nothing done. The capacity finally broke for BP last week, but other companies couldn't absorb demand from even a handful of initially closed petrol stations.

Blaming 'the media' is equally ridiculous, and frankly trump-esque 'fake news' nonsense. Maybe don't end up with closing petrol stations due to insufficient deliveries if you don't want it reported. I'm far from convinced that this crisis would have been any different without any reporting, people can see the closed petrol stations and queues with their own eyes. My local Shell petrol station ran out Friday morning, and has had no fuel since. I don't need to watch a TV report to see it.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Whilst i don't disagree that there was an issue with supply that was getting worse all the time, the few closures last week were the straw that broke the camels back as it were...

It's the way the media report all this as a crisis that got everyone out all over the country panic buying and made the situation a lot worse a lot quicker causing the already limited supply chain to completely crumble so quickly. Most people i know only ever went from 25-75% tanks whereas now everyone is brimming their tanks at every opportunity.

I don't blame the way people are acting now but if they had filling up as normal the problems may have arisen but not in such a quick manner and nationwide in my opinion anyway

Reactions: init6
Whilst i don't disagree that there was an issue with supply that was getting worse all the time, the few closures last week were the straw that broke the camels back as it were...

It's the way the media report all this as a crisis that got everyone out all over the country panic buying and made the situation a lot worse a lot quicker causing the already limited supply chain to completely crumble so quickly. Most people i know only ever went from 25-75% tanks whereas now everyone is brimming their tanks at every opportunity.

I don't blame the way people are acting now but if they had filling up as normal the problems may have arisen but not in such a quick manner and nationwide in my opinion anyway
Interesting. I'm not questioning what you say but never in my life have I stopped at a petrol station when I felt I needed a fill and not filled my tank all the way. I don't like wasting time and stopping for a fill means just that when I must visit a petrol station. That said, I also don't generally stop until the tank is down to around 25%, unless I'm preparing for a long journey and want to avoid needing an early stop along the way.

Reactions: kelvin 660
Interesting. I'm not questioning what you say but never in my life have I stopped at a petrol station when I felt I needed a fill and not filled my tank all the way. I don't like wasting time and stopping for a fill means just that when I must visit a petrol station. That said, I also don't generally stop until the tank is down to around 25%, unless I'm preparing for a long journey and want to avoid needing an early stop along the way.
I'll be honest i though it was strange as well as i always just filled up full every time i needed. I used to be in a car share and on the odd occasion we would stop to fill up on way to work and everyone else just put a random £20-30 in. I did ask once why they don't fill up full and they said they just stopped when they got bored ??!!

Not that i ever paid much attention but when filling up and seeing what the last person put in i would say more often than not a smaller amount not a typical fill up the tank amount i would put in.

The 500% figure comes from here :- Demand for petrol soars 500% amid panic buying - as pumps run dry , the increase that one unnamed motorway service station claimed. Not an industry figure. If 50-90% of petrol stations were closed, hardly seems surprising that those still open saw more trade.

No one is suggesting there was any sudden drop, it is a long term drop that has been playing out for months. warnings have been given previously and nothing done. The capacity finally broke for BP last week, but other companies couldn't absorb demand from even a handful of initially closed petrol stations.

Blaming 'the media' is equally ridiculous, and frankly trump-esque 'fake news' nonsense. Maybe don't end up with closing petrol stations due to insufficient deliveries if you don't want it reported. I'm far from convinced that this crisis would have been any different without any reporting, people can see the closed petrol stations and queues with their own eyes. My local Shell petrol station ran out Friday morning, and has had no fuel since. I don't need to watch a TV report to see it.
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one! ...but to pick up on a couple of points:

I know I'm repeating myself here, but when the media first reported the 'Fuel Supply Crisis', less than 0.5% of forecourts were closed due to having no fuel. Therefore the vast majority of people needing fuel at that time simply wouldn't have noticed and chances are that anyone unfortunate enough to pull up at at a closed forecourt would have found the next 199 forecourts en-route open.

Clearly someone arriving at a closed forecourt running on vapours (prior to 'Fuel Crisis' reporting) would have had a little panic, until they phoned around for help to find 99.5% of forecourts were still operational.

Also, to be clear, I primarily blame those with the political and comercial vested interests who manufactured the situation by briefing the media about 0.5% forecourts being closed due to haulier shortages. The media clearly have a duty to report this, but it should have been done with a clear sense of perspective and balance instead of the sensationalised trump-esque 'fake news' manner it was.

As I also said earlier, I completely recognise that a 'Fuel Crisis' may have eventually naturally evolved due to the ongoing supply issues (even had their been a media blackout) but it would have allowed more time to put mitigating measures in place to soften the impact.