Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black headliner - any regrets ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tan seats, light headliner and obeche matte on my blue 2013 S85 which I'm very happy with, but with five kids over 2 years and 10 months the light headliner is showing its age a bit, as are the seats. Some marks and stains on the ceiling, and a definitely worn area on the front of the driver's B column where I get in and out.

As a result I'm thinking black seats, black headliner and because the obeche matte is too dark, switching to the figured ash to at least lighten the wood accent. I'm not aware of any Model Xs delivered around Boston so I may just go to the Dedham store/SC and look at Model S's with different color combinations, keeping in mind that the X should feel lighter with the massive front glass.

Thanks for thoughts. I went to Dedham this morning and sat in an MC Red S with black seats, black headliner and carbon fiber. It was really dark inside, especially the floor areas and the back seat - like being in a movie theater. I also sat in a Titanium S with tan seats and black headliner, which felt better to me - the exact combo I'm now considering for my car, though it had Matte Obeche while I'm debating between that and the Figured Ash.

Interestingly my Matte Obeche stripes are vertical while those in the new S and in the X Design Studio are horizontal...

PeterK:
Felt the same way as you. I like the visual feel of the tan Next Gens with the black headliner. I chose the matte Obeche wood trim. I am getting the Pano roof which lightens up the interior. I have never sat in an S with a solid roof and Black headliner... I bet it would be quite dark. The tan headliner if retained adds a third color to the interior which is especially noticed in the door area where the B pillar is. Try flipping the headliner on the design studio with the interior view and you can see the color change.

The early Obeche cars had vertical stripes and now they run horizontal on the dash.

PeterK: The tan headliner if retained adds a third color to the interior which is especially noticed in the door area where the B pillar is. Try flipping the headliner on the design studio with the interior view and you can see the color change.
I find the third colour isn't nearly as obvious in person as it is on the design studio. Though I do have to wonder why they didn't colour match...

I find the third colour isn't nearly as obvious in person as it is on the design studio. Though I do have to wonder why they didn't colour match...

I have no issues with the third color, though I don't have alcantara so it may be different. My issue is with dirt and wear showing on the headliner, and on the Model X the falcon wing door button is on the trailing side of the B pillar surrounded by headliner so I can imagine what that would look like after a while. My tan leather is also showing some wear which is why I initially considered black seats as well, but the tan seats hold up to dirt and wear better than the headliner.

Thanks for the input.

Love our Black Alcantera roof liner, hated the Tan. Tan got dirty from the dogs.

After two years (and no dogs at all), I've noticed dirty marks on my car's "cream coloured" headliner, which is the base choice, not the Alcantara, so it's some sort of textile-effect plastic.

Also there are dirty marks around the driver's sun visor, where I've grappled with it to lower or raise it.

All are gone if you choose the black Alcantara headliner, so it's a winner from a practical, "hiding dirty marks" standpoint.

I only worry about the reduction in light around the car, particularly in situations without a lot of ambient light, if you're trying to find something in the footwell that you've misplaced. (don't forget there are no carpet colour choices... only Henry Ford Black)

I think I wouldn't order black Alcantara without making sure I was also ordering the premium interior lighting, which helps finds stuff down low.

I also have the black headliner with tan seats. I think it looks great, I'm very happy with my choice. This is my second MS - the first had grey seats and the light colored headliner. It didn't match and I think the dark color really makes the car look sharp. If you don't want too much black, get the lighter seats and you'll be all set.

I, too, have tan seats and black headliner. My previous S had the light headliner with the same tan colored seats. Much prefer the darker. Looks classy and less concern about smudges.