Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Bio-weapon defense mode" option - yes or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
Configuration of Model 3 reservations is probably still much more than a year away, but I wondered what people were thinking as far as the "medical grade" HEPA filter that was introduced as an option on the Model X (available on Model S orders starting today). The HEPA filter system is bundled with the Premium Interior package on the S and X, which I think adds about 3k on the S and 4.5k on the X to the total price.

Worth the cost? I am leaning towards yes.

I wouldn't buy it necessarily to protect against biohazards, but I get annoyed when I'm in my Honda Civic and driving behind some vehicle that is belching noxious exhaust. Model X owners report that the upgraded filter system is great at eliminating this annoyance.

but for a 3K bundle, you do get loads of other features, like adaptive headlights, ventilated seats and auto presenting doors (for Model X), LED fog lights, power liftgate, LED lightings, etc

So i think it's quite a bargain, even if you don't care for the filter.

Reactions: 1208
I can confirm the HEPA filter works great on my X. I intentionally stopped in stop-and-go traffic for awhile behind an older ICE belching noxious fumes and couldn't smell anything. Very happy I have it as part of the $4.5K Premium Upgrades Package.

For Model , since it's a health item, and the volumes are much greater, I think Tesla should also offer this option unbundled outside a package so buyers with bad allergies, etc. aren't forced to pay for things they don't need/want just to get the HEPA.

I was told by a TSLA employee I've known for years who was talking to George Blankenship at the X Reveal that Elon got the idea for this from driving past a smelly landfill often in his Model S on the way to Tesla Factory from HQ in Palo Alto. I'm glad to see it's now available in the S, too. I fully expect we'll see it as an option in the , as part of what differentiates the Tesla vehicle brand above all others IMHO.

I do not expect the Model 3 to offer that option. It takes up far more space than the standard air filter, and Tesla will reserve some features for the S/X line only.

It's a safety issue the way Elon presents it because it affects life expectancy. It would be in line with his values on safety to push that feature to all the cars in his control.

Charge us for it sure, but I expect he'll make it an option even on the 3.

It's a safety issue the way Elon presents it because it affects life expectancy. It would be in line with his values on safety to push that feature to all the cars in his control.

Charge us for it sure, but I expect he'll make it an option even on the 3.

I would agree with this sentiment. If the option is something that can physically improves the owners health or well-being, I don't believe Elon would prevent someone who wants the option from being able to have it.

Ah, I see the $3k price is for the whole package not just the filter system. In that case, I will probably get it, but mostly because I want the other things in the package. If it's an option by itself, I won't get it.

If what I am breathing is going to kill me early, it will be all the noxious stuff I breathe at work on an aircraft flight line, not from traffic fumes. JP8 is really lovely stuff. So no point at all in paying for a fancy hepa filter in my car. (And I don't have pollen allergies, which would be the only other reason for one)

I would agree with this sentiment. If the option is something that can physically improves the owners health or well-being, I don't believe Elon would prevent someone who wants the option from being able to have it.
Tesla is trying to make safe cars, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Every other car on the planet does not have this feature, and people are doing just fine without it.

It may be too expensive to invest in alternate tooling to make this happen. It will be an add-on which will increase the "fully loaded" cost. You can't expect every single feature on the S to be available in some form or another on the 3, or else you'd end up with a 3 that cost over $100k. Some features need to be reserved for different cars in the manufacturer's lineup. No other car company offers, as paid options, everything that makes the next car up better, because then what's the point in buying the more expensive car?

"It's bigger and some people like a bigger car" is not an acceptable response. There will be features and stuff on the S that the 3 does not have and will never have.

Safety is a noble cause, sure. But in the end, Tesla needs to make money, and something superfluous and not really needed is this HEPA filter. You want it? Buy the more expensive car. I suspect this will just be one of many neat features you won't find on the 3 in order to justify an S purchase.