Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 long range now is 44k and performance is 54k.
Model Y long range now is 53k and performance is 57k.
Model S long range now is 95k and plaid is 115k.

Model X long range now is 110k and plaid is 120k.

In addition to the $13,000 price drop, the base model Y now qualifies for a $7,500 tax credit, meaning a Model Y ordered today could be more than $20k cheaper than one ordered yesterday.

Last edited:
You sound like a classic cheerleading fanboy. First of all, that's an indicator that they have been ripping us off and it's nothing to do with a supply chain because other cars are still delayed. It's Tesla playing the games
You know that I literally make my money from people not buying a Tesla right?

I’m just a realist about this thing, and the same people who are complaining now about a car costing less (we get those too) said diddly when their resale values went through the roof and they could trade into a new year model for free.

The discounts are great and are a reflection that supply chain is not only back to normal but ready to expand.
More like a reflection of lagging demand, and three (3) quarters of production exceeding sales.
When demands sags for your product, you have no choice but to reduce the price.

1673627624459.png

Is Tesla clearing out old inventory for HW4 / Project Highland?

Prices got slashed on all models: 3, Y, S, and X.
• Model 3 RWD: $43,990 (from $46,990, a 6.4% drop)
• Model 3 P: $53,990 ($62,990, 14.2% drop)
• Model Y Long Range: $52,990 (from $65,990, a 20% drop)
• Model Y P: $56,990 (from $69,990, a 23% drop)
• Model S: $94,990 (from $104,990, 9.5% drop)
• Model S Plaid: $114,990 (from $135,990, 15.4% drop)
• Model X: $109,990 (from $120,990, 9.1% drop)
• Model X Plaid: $119,990 (from $138,990, 13.7% drop)

Last edited:
You know that I literally make my money from people not buying a Tesla right?

I’m just a realist about this thing, and the same people who are complaining now about a car costing less (we get those too) said diddly when their resale values went through the roof and they could trade into a new year model for free.

It's a very dirty move. The thing is, us, who paid this much, really liked the car. I promise that i won't be buying another Tesla. I will gladly take my almost $100K CAD somewhere else. In the next 3-4 years, other EV makers with catch up with EV tech and it will be an easy switch.

I don't recall Audi, BMW, Mercedes doing it. My wife drives Audi and the price never went down. You could negotiate before the covid nonsense, but the manufacturer doesn't scream at you and pretty much saying "fak you, you dumb ass for buying". It's dirty and screw Tesla.

I don't recall Audi, BMW, Mercedes doing it. My wife drives Audi and the price never went down. You could negotiate before the covid nonsense, but the manufacturer doesn't scream at you and pretty much saying "fak you, you dumb ass for buying". It's dirty and screw Tesla.
You may have a valid point about peculiarities of Tesla customer service and communication style of the CEO.

However, if Audi / BMW / Mercedes were sitting on three (3) quarters of inventory build up, they would also lower prices to move the dead-beat inventory. They might not be so brazen about it (e.g.: call it a promotion, or winter credits, or something sexy). But the prices would be lowered.

The clumsy across-the-board price cut is a response to sagging demand, and is designed to stimulate sales. Nothing more, nothing less.
The same scenario unfolded for the same reasons in China a few months ago. BTW, it worked - China sales have rebounded.

Last edited:
It's a very dirty move. The thing is, us, who paid this much, really liked the car. I promise that i won't be buying another Tesla. I will gladly take my almost $100K CAD somewhere else. In the next 3-4 years, other EV makers with catch up with EV tech and it will be an easy switch.

You purchased an item because you felt that the price was acceptable for what you were getting in return. This hasn't changed. Save for a few unique and rare outliers, cars depreciate at massive chunks each month. Moreso when they are brand new. This is a known quantity and why people who's goal is financial independence stay away from buying new. Some depreciate at different rates but depreciate they all do.

People need to chillax about the price roller coaster. This is nothing new, especially with Tesla. You knew this when you bought in and nobody forced you to buy anything. The prices go up, the prices go down. The clock turns and time marches on.

Your purchase gives you all of zero right to any perceived depreciation rate. It's silly to think that you have some sort of claim to your car being worth anything at any point after you take delivery. It's unreasonable and Tesla doesn't care anymore than Ford, Chevy or Toyota. The only difference is that Tesla is smaller and isn't quite as insulation from these swings as the larger legacy manufacturers but they also have had massive price swings lately. We will likely see those prices come down too once they get their inventory of raw materials and supply fully restocked. Since they're larger, these changes take longer and sometimes aren't as big. Nature of the beast.

Ignoring the outside forces such as inflation and supply line issues that directly impact these figures isn't doing anyone any good either. Eggs are $7 per dozen and out-of-stock. A few months back I could get a frunk full of eggs w/o even putting a dent in what was on the shelves @ $2 per dozen. You bought a car for transportation and enjoyment so use it for those things. When the time comes to get something else is when you'll realize whatever financial impact it brings to sell. If that seems uncomfortable, it should. The time to avoid that volatility was when you made the decision to buy when you still had control... not after.

Will other EV makers catch up with Telsa? Tesla is showing to the world right now they can lower their prices by a lot because of their efficiency (mega mold, simplicit dash layout, no dealership, no advertising, etc, etc..) not to mention their tech which is still further along than any other company.

Tesla is not a car company. It is a company that makes computers on wheels. BMW, Mercedes, etc.. makes cars.. cars that act like status symbols therefore prices must be at a certain level to have brand consistency. Tesla is not like that which to be honest is an innovative idea.

Imagine a time when people don't care too much about the brand of a car... it's just a car... prices can go up or down based on demand and the cost to make a car. Not to keep the brand imagine consistent so people who brought the car earlier don't get upset because their car is somehow less valuable because other people can now afford it, even though it's the exact same car before and after the price cut.

Imagine a time when people don't care too much about the brand of a car... it's just a car... prices can go up or down based on demand and the cost to make a car. Not to keep the brand imagine consistent so people who brought the car earlier don't get upset because their car is somehow less valuable because other people can now afford it, even though it's the exact same car before and after the price cut.

Imagine a time when people don't care about the value of the assets they own....
... imagine Communism !

Imagine a time when people don't care about the value of the assets they own....
... imagine Communism !

Why not just imagine a world full of EVs instead of gas cars? That was Elons stated goal and lowering the price of EVs
definitely helps in heading that direction.

Cars are not an investment.... Cars are for the most part depreciating assets.

Cars are not an investment.... Cars are for the most part depreciating assets.
That one year between the last two summers could have fooled anyone but we really are just going back to how the normal vehicle market is.

I’m back to discounting at pre-coof levels though the rates are brutal for both leasing and purchasing.

Reactions: cdub and eleison