Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Party for Tesla owners, fans, environmentalists & legislators / fundraiser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the CXC board members is a very talented musician and works with another musician. The two of them will be moving through the party, playing. They both seem to play a variety of instruments, and a variety of music, and I am not authorized(*) to operate in that area of party planning. So I'll probably find out what's on the musical agenda the same time as everyone else.

Alan

(*)Jessica, my wife, likes to pretend that I'm in charge. However, this pretense breaks down on a daily basis. :)

I'm coming down from VT with my wife in tow. She doesn't do Tesla events very often. But she couldn't pass this up!

What kind of live music have you arranged?

- - - Updated - - -

There's a B&B that my parents love when they stay here. (Apparently, they find it disconcerting when the screaming starts around 7 a.m. Go figure.) Let me ping them and I'll get back to you.

I and my wife would very much like to attend. Might you be able to suggest a motel or B&B in the area?
Thanks so Much.
Art

Raising Party Awareness (long)

Hi,

I am working to raise the awareness of this party among TMC New England members. A kindly moderator suggested that I could raise some awareness within TMC by mentioning the handles of people who have already accepted party invitations (some of whom are helping with the party planning). I have obtained the consent of these individuals in advance. But I haven't had time to contact everyone, or even to get all responses back from those I have contacted. Forthwith:

@aaron.s (attending with Trent!)
@aimc
@ajay
@artsci
@bigmaple1
@BoerumHill
@cinergi
@doctorac
@EdA
@GreenP85D
@hcsharp
@jmanning
@ModelS1079
@nkohlimd
@PeterK
@rheazombi
@robby

We have Tesla owners planning to attend from as far away as ME, VT, NH, CT, NY, DE and MD.

Please join in!

=====

If you've read this far, and feel like putting yourself to sleep, I'll take a moment to describe the goals my wife, Jessica, and I have for the party.

1. My original and primary goal for the party is as a gathering place to foster connection and community among New England Tesla owners and fans. In this regard, I have been inspired by the party @nkohlimd & @bhuwan organized at Minado Restaurant in Natick maybe a year or so ago. I think there were something like 50 attendees, there was a guest speaker from the MA House of Representatives who talked about pending anti-Tesla legislation, people served themselves from the buffet and talked and table-hopped and had a great time. I think people spent maybe $30 or so per head, although I also think that @nkohlimd & @bhuwan quietly covered a substantial part of the restaurant bill themselves. So I thought, hey, let's have a big Tesla party here at our house, and try to rope in all the Tesla folks we could find. Fans, too, not just owners.

I've also been pursuing non-TMC Tesla owners, to the point that I've been chasing them through the streets of Metrowest persuading them to stop and give me a few minutes of their time. Ever see that black S60 parked outside Jarvis Appliances on Route 9 Eastbound at the boundary between Natick and Wellesley? Bagged him. Dunno yet whether he's gonna attend, but he has been SERVED with an invitation. :)

Any help anyone can give for inviting other owners and fans can only benefit the community! Please contact me with names & email addresses and I'll kick out invitations. I need to do it this way so that we have a reasonably good estimate of likely headcount at the party. 200 versus 300 makes a significant difference in quantity of food.

(Unfortunately, @bhuwan has an inescapable conflict. But @nkohlimd plans to be at the party.)

Also, this party is my way to give a little bit back to the Tesla community. I have been the beneficiary of much wisdom and help from the forum at Tesla Motors itself and the forum here. Not to mention the beneficiary of much patience, as people have to tell me things many times before ideas succeed in worming their way from my ears, through my thick skull and into my brain.

2. Then Jessica, my wife, said, could we also connect this with her organization, Climate eXChange? At Minado, we focused on anti-Tesla legislation. At this party, we could have a connection with carbon pricing legislation. I realize that carbon pricing is controversial, and not everyone in the Tesla community would agree with it. But then again, people who don't agree would have an opportunity to express their opinions to some of the people who are directly involved! So I didn't see any downside. CXC is non-partisan, and would very much love to have people of all political stripes engage.

3. Opportunity for engagement between Tesla owners/fans and environmentalists and legislators. Wow, I love this. Imagine how the legislators will feel when confronted with such a show of enthusiasm and support for Tesla. We've not only invited some of the environmentally-minded legislators, but also some of the legislators from the Transportation committee. Let them mix with a crowd whose votes will matter to them and their colleagues. It's an opportunity to voice support for things like EV-friendly policies. And, of course, carbon pricing. And to disagree! I personally believe that better results come from disagreement and reasoned discourse than from everyone blindly agreeing.

It turns out that the Telecommunications, Utilities and Energy (TUE) committee of the MA Sen/House will be considering Sen Mike Barrett's bill, S1747, concerning carbon fee-and-rebate (i.e., all money taken in gets kicked back to the individuals and businesses of Massachusetts), sometime in October. So let's let Mike Barrett speak about that, and let people give him feedback.

A TMC member once said to me words to the effect, "I want to make my opinion known. But who do I speak to? And how?" Well... this party presents exactly that opportunity.

4. Fundraiser for Climate eXChange. I continue to be horrified by the finances these environmental organizations have. One hears the expression, "operating on a shoestring budget". Except that in the case of CXC, a shoestring would be a luxury. So that's why we're suggesting a **voluntary** $25 donation. (Also voluntary because if you don't agree with CXCs goals, you should still come enjoy the party and not feel like you're funding something you disagree with.) And not so coincidentally, that number is less than what it cost at the last big party at Minado Restaurant. CXC has said that they will split party expenses with Jessica and me, but who are we kidding. I'm not interested in cream cheese and celery appetizers. This is gonna be a real party. We're gonna have cocktails -- open bar, not cash bar. Food like:
After long discussions we have come up with the idea that we should provide
temperature controlled "complete" meals in smaller serving vessels....every
thing portable and eaten easily.

We want each one to have its own theme and people can try more than one
thing easily without having to juggle a plate....

Things like:

Asian chicken or shrimp w/ cold noodle and carrot slaw in mini Chinese take
out containers and chop sticks

Indian combo with rice and a toasted piece of naan in a flat cup

Grilled sausage with cold rosemary mustard potato salad and sauerkraut with
a mini fork and spicy German style mustard.

We also want to implement the infamous Kolak in its own cups with mini
spoons....
So Jessica and I will foot the food & drink tab and CXC can pay for... well... I dunno... a poster, I guess.

5. Attention / media engagement. I want to get attention for Tesla and the Tesla community. Also attention for CXC. For carbon pricing. For Sen Barrett and his bill. There's gotta be a story in there somewhere, right? I want to line our streets with Teslas to make a great visual for newspapers and broadcast media, which is one of the things you good people can help with. I lack media contacts, though (but working on it), which is an area where I would gratefully accept additional help.

Thanks for reading all this. Hope to see you at the party!

Alan

Last edited:
Feedback welcome. Menu under discussion for the party:

[A Fresh Endeavor writes to me:] After long discussions we have come up with the idea that we should provide
temperature controlled "complete" meals in smaller serving vessels....every thing portable and eaten easily.
We want each one to have its own theme and people can try more than one thing easily without having to juggle a plate....

[In a subsequent email, they write:] Basically it looks like we can get compostable forks, bowls, napkins, and even cups for service...the industry has really expanded its options.....

Asian Shrimp w/ Cold Noodle and Carrot Slaw W/ chop sticks

Turkish Lamb Kofte (Seasoned with Mint & Dill)W/ Cucumber Yoghurt, Muhammara, & FlatbreadRoasted Onions & Peppers

German Sausage with Cold Rosemary Mustard Potato Salad and SauerkrautGerman Mustard

Chicken Tagine Chicken, Ginger, Garlic, Onions, Apricots, Green Olives, Fire-roasted Tomatoes, Citrus & Toasted AlmondsCous CousGreen Beans

Gado Gado Bok Choy, Daikon Radish, Scallion, Red Bhutan Rice, Cucumber, Seasoned Tofu. In a Peanut Sauce

Indian Style Cauliflower Cake with Potato & Peas Cauliflower, Onion, Green Peas, Potato, Ginger, Cilantro, Coriander, Cumin & GarlicOnion Relish

Kolak Sweet Potatoes, Bananas, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Coconut Sugar, Tapioca, Coconut MilkWith Cardamom Cream

It also makes sense that we would have some type of station for a stationary group of spreads, crackers, vegetables, dips, hummus, etc...small plate available for the grazers...

Alan

Pollux: I thought I joined this community recently when I signed up to the TMC website, but I guess not because I didn't receive your party invitation. I have a 90D in production with a delivery date of late August-early September. I can't attend your party because of a previous engagement, but I'd like to be kept in the loop on any future events in New England, principally CT and MA.

Hi, @Pippin,

You absolutely are part of the community! And may I be among the first to congratulate you on your P90D... I am full of envy! I hope I'll get a chance to see it another time.

As for the party... well, sir, there were no automatic invitations per se. That's because I need to be able to track headcount, as we're targeting 200-300 people, and need to be able to plan food & drink. So wherever I can do so, I'm asking people to send me their full names and email addresses. Then I can kick out an electronic invitation to them from Paperless Post, which can be RSVP'd, which means I can get a headcount. And that's why I haven't been publishing my home address -- people have to have some kind of communication with me first. The Paperless Post invitation does contain our home address. Of course, simply communicating with me and then getting one of these invitations doesn't commit anyone to anything... you can always RSVP your regrets.

We're currently at 160+ acceptances, 40+ Teslas, with several hundred outstanding un-RSVP'd invitations. So I've raised my projection slightly to 250-300 people at the party. It's gonna be great!!

Also, if you read up-thread, you'll see some thoughts about the possible menu.

Oh, and for staying in the loop, may I suggest announcing yourself in @Robert.Boston's "New Englanders -- Check In!" thread here on TMC:

New Englanders -- check in!

There's the New England sub-forum of TMC, which you've probably already found.

You might also be interested in the TMC Meetup:

http://www.meetup.com/New-England-Tesla-Motors-Club/

And, of course, there's teslamotorsclub.com itself.

I regret that we won't meet at the September Tesla party but look forward to another occasion.

Alan

P.S. If you know anyone interested in Tesla, even if they're not yet an owner, could you please let them know about the party and point them to this thread? We're trying to connect up people who are not yet part of the Tesla community. Also, we're trying to reach any folks interested in carbon pricing. My wife's non-profit, Climate XChange, will be the beneficiary of any **voluntary** donations people make at the party, and CXC is a non-partisan, 501c3/501c4 group focused on education and advocacy for carbon-fee-and-rebate legislation in Massachusetts.

Pollux: I thought I joined this community recently when I signed up to the TMC website, but I guess not because I didn't receive your party invitation. I have a 90D in production with a delivery date of late August-early September. I can't attend your party because of a previous engagement, but I'd like to be kept in the loop on any future events in New England, principally CT and MA.

Thanks, Pollux. I'll look forward to future activities with this group. Tell me what time the party will start? I have a date with friends going to a Billy Joel concert in NYC at MSG leaving the Hartford area at 4:30 in the afternoon. If the party starts mid-day, I could drive up for an hour or two.

Hi, @Pippin!

Did I not send you the official invitation? If you PM me your email address and full name, I'll kick an invitation out to you. The invitation has our home address, which is where the party will be. Dress code is smart casual. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but my wife knows, and I have no doubt that that means I will have to wear shoes. There will be Tesla-savvy valet parking.

That said, the party officially runs 4-7 p.m., Saturday, September 26. I don't really expect most guests to show up much before 4 (although we'll have the valets ready to start parking cars at 3:30). If you need to be back in Hartford for a 4:30 p.m. departure to NYC, I don't think coming to the party is going to work for you. :-(

And I'm a big enough Billy Joel fan that I can't advise you in good faith to skip the concert. :)

If you were somehow able to depart from the Boston area at, say, 5 p.m., to go to the concert, then you might be able to enjoy the party for an hour and then enjoy the concert. But I suspect that doesn't work for you as it probably puts you in NYC after the concert has already started.

Ummm.... tell you what. I could save some food for you and ship it to you in CT on Monday. Just PM me your address. I could also ask around the other folks attending from CT, NY, DE, MD & VA if they are driving by your house and could drop off a care package Saturday night or Sunday. And a goodie bag.

Alan

Thanks, Pollux. I'll look forward to future activities with this group. Tell me what time the party will start? I have a date with friends going to a Billy Joel concert in NYC at MSG leaving the Hartford area at 4:30 in the afternoon. If the party starts mid-day, I could drive up for an hour or two.

Sorry we're going to miss you! But Italy... gee... where are you going there?

Don't forget that the Supercharger network is being built out there, and there's actually a fair amount of coverage, at least where I looked in the north west around Milano. Maybe you could rent a Tesla there, or borrow one from a fellow TMC member.

I wish Jack and I could come but we will be in Italy (no we are not bringing the Tesla). I hope you all have a great time.