Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Oil getting scared, full page WSJ ad (Exxon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got some other questions they can use in their future ads:

Q: How much of the energy in a gallon of gasoline is wasted when burned in a typical car?
A: 80%

Q: How much of the energy of motion is recovered when you slow down in a typical gas car?
A: 0%

Q: How much further can you drive on the same amount of energy in an EV versus a gasoline car.
A: About 5 times further.

Q: What portion of the US trade deficit is due to imported oil?
A: About $1000 per person.

Q: What is the biggest expense over the lifetime of the average car?
A: Gasoline.

Q: Which US company made the most profit in 2012?
A: Exxon

Thanks. You beat me to it. Heard this commercial the other day. Sure, gasoline packs a lot of potential stored energy in its chemical bonds...but the real question is how much of this energy is actually used for forward motion? A: very little. Most is wasted; ICE engines are better at giving off heat to the environment than moving a car

Big Oil is concerned that only around 1% of petroleum is used for generating electricity for USA. Cars and other modes of transportation consume a huge majority of leftover 99% petroleum. Now Big Oil sees a small portion of that consumer base eroding, and thanks to a growing acceptance of EVs including us TESLEES. Big Oil, like any savvy business, is getting rightfully concerned that remaining customer base will further erode at an increasing pace. Exxon which is a US Company, may want to think about investing a significant part of its resources towards alternate paths of revenue and profit generation.

What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Last edited:
I saw this ad on TV and thought to myself, what on God's green Earth are the executives at Exxon thinking?!
They must be taking crazy pills or something. Reminds me of the 'Ask JP Morgan' twitter debacle.

The smog in Beijing is a result of geography and the stupidity of the Chinese Government.

I'm sorry WHAT???? So when the Government forces cars off the road and limits factory activity to clear the air (as they did for the Olympics) the resulting clean air was a coincidence?

We all know of China's massive smog problem before they started driving cars in the 90s... Oh wait, they didn't have one.

You you must have been being sarcastic

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. You beat me to it. Heard this commercial the other day. Sure, gasoline packs a lot of potential stored energy in its chemical bonds...but the real question is how much of this energy is actually used for forward motion? A: very little. Most is wasted; ICE engines are better at giving off heat to the environment than moving a car

Isnt it a shame that the industry had deliberately stood in the way of progress regarding fuel efficiency? I can think of few industries that have not significantly advanced technologically at poorly as the internal combustion engine which hasn't changed much since it's invention.

The smog in Beijing is a result of geography and the stupidity of the Chinese Government.

We are partly complicit for the continued buying of the products coming from the polluting factories and commuters there making those goods. How much smog is in their air because of the smartphone in our pocket or the Christmas gifts we just bought? One part of their stupid program was to convince workers to drive cars rather than ride bikes and scooters to work. They have some of the worst drivers on the planet right now because millions are all just starting to drive for the first time.

The Chevy Volt is a nice element :)

Picking on the Volt ruined for me what was a very clever ad. I guess it just shows how scared Nissan is of the Volt in their market. They could have easily showed someone filling a big SUV, or even a regular sedan, for that matter. The Volt may have an ICE, but it's one hell of a lot more efficient and environmentally friendly than just about any other example they could have used. Very poor form, Nissan!

All this smells of desperation. They must have studied this and realized they will be toast, so highly misleading advertising is their last hurrah.

I expect similar propaganda will be deployed against renewable energy sources, efficiency and other threats to their Corporate profits.

But they will lose in the end.

Love richkae's questions, right on the mark.

At what point will a higher initial cost EV prove to be cheaper in the long run - taking into account an all-aluminum body, about 20 moving parts, fuel costs about 75% lower, a replaceable battery (easily done and probably with a better/cheaper version), versus the certainty of high gas prices, the lurking possibility of shortages, the accumulating effects of CO2, oil spills happening everywhere, Foreign Wars and the cost to protect imports, etc. ?

Most of us here realize we are already there.

I'm not taking sides but the majors are going to have to decide if they want to sell EV's, or compete with them. What I do find interesting is that right now they seem to think compete. Regardless of how we "EV people" feel about it, range anxiety does seem like a good (not commenting on ethics) way to compete.

Last edited:
"Range anxiety" is a genuine fear with most folks out there and it's usually the first thing I get asked about before price, performance, charging options etc.

Heck, I'd submit the number of "60 vs 85" threads right here on TMC as proof that many in the Tesla fold want more range - even if the price diff is a stretch - whether they need that additional range or not.

It's the biggest fear that Big Oil and Big Auto can play up. I see this slant in even recent BMW ads (apart from the usual Chevy/GMC truck ads) about "going where the open road takes you" :rolleyes:

"Range anxiety" is a genuine fear with most folks out there and it's usually the first thing I get asked about before price, performance, charging options etc.

Heck, I'd submit the number of "60 vs 85" threads right here on TMC as proof that many in the Tesla fold want more range - even if the price diff is a stretch - whether they need that additional range or not.

It's the biggest fear that Big Oil and Big Auto can play up. I see this slant in even recent BMW ads (apart from the usual Chevy/GMC truck ads) about "going where the open road takes you" :rolleyes:

I feel like this fear is getting smaller as the super charger network gets larger. That is, if you are considering a Tesla after all. However, if you think about it most people bring up the "Oh what if you need to go from Dallas to San Antonio, or vice versa" argument. This argument usually comes after the connection that you give them that you just plug in your car at home. How often do you leave your house at night? Hardly ever. Once this is cemented in, the real concern is long distance. As one may see, hopefully in a year or more we will have all of America covered. I think, at this point, range anxiety will be dead. I know that there are many out there that would rather drive for 4-6 hours straight to get to a destination. But for honestly the 90 percent or higher people who barely drive more then three hours away, a simply 20-40 minute stop is something to look forward to. A rest, and while you rest your car charges.

It all will click into place. People are just not informed yet. We are the greatest informers. I find that most people who are ignorant on the limitations and the surprising ease of owning an electric vehicle turn from sour to very interested once given the facts. Just... don't come off as a crazed zealot that we are. :)

To me the Exxon ad and video were wrong on so many levels. They're bragging about the efficiency of gas in terms of weight to energy. How come, despite carrying around big heavy batteries, EVs are four times more efficient than gas burners?

i made a quick and dirty YouTube video to make this point.

Would love over to see it done with production values and a professional narrator.

Last edited by a moderator: