Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Big new autopilot rewrite update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Summon: your FSD Update will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Not even worth showing off as a party trick. Unless you have a medical condition, and it would be a life saver for some, walking to your car is, in #ElonSpeak, an order of magnitude faster. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not even worth showing off as a party trick. Unless you have a medical condition, and it would be a life saver for some, walking to your car is, in #ElonSpeak, an order of magnitude faster. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hate getting wet. So, if it rains, I would love Smart Summon, if I were in the US.

But just yesterday I needed Summon, because somebody had parked so close to my car that I couldn't get in. I pulled out the phone and summoned the car. Very quick, convenient solution.

It also advertises Tesla, if somebody watches you.

I hate getting wet. So, if it rains, I would love Smart Summon, if I were in the US.

But just yesterday I needed Summon, because somebody had parked so close to my car that I couldn't get in. I pulled out the phone and summoned the car. Very quick, convenient solution.

Regular old AP1 "dumb" summon would do that with two presses of the keyfob that never left my pocket. Just sayin'.

Ok ok, we all know Smart Summon is one of the weaker features. So what? It uses the old AI/NN stack, which is very limited. At some point Tesla are almost certain to rework this to use the new FSD stack, at which point you can be pretty sure it will be far better.

it seems whenever I need summon it’s not available, but when I don’t need it it works.

like upstairs in my house it says ‘come to me’, but when I walk downstairs and am a few meters away from the car it chickens out or takes too long to connect.

I dont think you think it works the way it works. You would definitely get wet. The range is like 50ft.

it seems whenever I need summon it’s not available, but when I don’t need it it works.

like upstairs in my house it says ‘come to me’, but when I walk downstairs and am a few meters away from the car it chickens out or takes too long to connect.
Don’t ever use the “come to me” function. Use “go to target” and it works 99% of the time. I almost NEVER have an issue with smart summon and I use it every single day.

Well the "feature complete" was tweeted a number of times by Elon around about the time Smart Summon was added, though I'm sure it will continue to get bug fixes/tweaks. The "NoA+" is of course just my speculation.
Thanks. I am also thinking that AP is that what you now get and if you want to improve it, you need to get FSD. They already had time to improve it.

But man, imagine if it actually did

We had our first "snow storm" (i.e. wet snow falling nothing sticks to the ground for about an hour and bookended by rain)
I did not want to walk with my kids across the cold wet parking lot and decided to use Summon to bring the car to the front of the building.

On first attempt the car backed out of the spot and signaled for every turn and parked right in front of the entrance.
I haven't used it in a while - my daughter even commented "hey look that Tesla looks identical to ours" until she realized it was ours and was like "oh yeah! that's really cool, you should use that more often".
I think people should give "smart" summon a try, especially if - like me - you have not used it in a while.

ps. and yes I drop a target pin, not "come to me"... it always worked better, so now it's a habit.

Reactions: Cyclegamer

EXACTLY. It is never ready when you need it. It’s embarrassing to try to show it off because you probably won’t even be able to connect.

We had our first "snow storm" (i.e. wet snow falling nothing sticks to the ground for about an hour and bookended by rain)
I did not want to walk with my kids across the cold wet parking lot and decided to use Summon to bring the car to the front of the building.

On first attempt the car backed out of the spot and signaled for every turn and parked right in front of the entrance.
I haven't used it in a while - my daughter even commented "hey look that Tesla looks identical to ours" until she realized it was ours and was like "oh yeah! that's really cool, you should use that more often".
I think people should give "smart" summon a try, especially if - like me - you have not used it in a while.

ps. and yes I drop a target pin, not "come to me"... it always worked better, so now it's a habit.
EXACTLY!!! The pin drop is the most effective and can be very useful in certain situations. I think a lot of people gave up on it after day 1 or 2 while using “come to me”, instead of “go to target”. Oh well lol

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
EXACTLY!!! The pin drop is the most effective and can be very useful in certain situations. I think a lot of people gave up on it after day 1 or 2 while using “come to me”, instead of “go to target”. Oh well lol
After the "snow storm" my kids just keep asking for it, so I've done it about once a day since then and it has been successful 100% of the time since the "snow storm".

All attempts were in shopping parking lots.