Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BEV chargers with Ethernet connection.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mounting a wifi router right next to a EVSE only strengths the need to get rid of the wifi.
No it does not. There is no "need" to mount it there, but if someone is as paranoid as you are about interference, doing so will ensure the connection is rock solid.
Apparent it is not obvious, the packet level I am talking about is encapsulating the Ethernet packets into Wifi packets that include CRC / checksum data, which is then transmitted.
Wifi does not need to be connected to internet work, it is just a medium.
But that overhead is insignificant for an application like the EVSE app. You have not presented any logical argument why 2-4ms (whether you want to call it delay or latency) matters in such an application.
Wi-fi IS radio. Cellular networks ARE radio networks. Cell phone are effectively no different than a "walkie-talkie" handled transceiver devices.
The more devices that use the same signal, the less reliable, lower bandwidth there is, and FHSS does not compensate for that.
They are not the same thing in this context. Typical radio communication has limited channels, no error correcting, and is very susceptible to interference distorting the message. Using your own example, if everyone ran walkie talkies instead of cellphones, the interference would likely be intolerable with even moderate traffic.

Wi-Fi instead is designed to operate in very congested conditions and far more robust. And in this context, if you have zero wifi reception in your location in the first place (presumably the reason why someone would even want ethernet), then there wouldn't be interference concerns.

As for your point about a water pick device that interferes with radio communications (does it do so for wifi also, including 5GHz, and what distance), that most likely does not meet FCC regulations.

Last edited:
They are not the same thing in this context. Typical radio communication has limited channels, no error correcting, and is very susceptible to interference distorting the message. Using your own example, if everyone ran walkie talkies instead of cellphones, the interference would likely be intolerable with even moderate traffic.
Again you are in error, and describe it erroneously as well.

This is the facts:
Both are Radio in every sense of the word, this an absolute term with zero distinction on types.
Radio is using the electromagnet spectrum as the transport media.

There is subsets of
Analog Radio which has limited if any robustness you describe.
Digital Radio which does have those integrity features you talk about.

In fact, Radio becomes the media for the Digital information, so the encoding/decoding and muxing/demuxing can easily be applied to Radio, to Light, to Sound, to Electrons, and even Liquids to send data.

Fundamental to Computer Engineering and IT.

Anyone in IT knows.
lol. Do let me know if you’d like to whip out our IT credentials and compare.

I’ve said my piece here so I think I’ll move on. Your arguments and unexplained biases are outdated and simply no longer relevant in 2023. If you want to continue to believe your EVSE experience is going to be dramatically improved (or even perceptibly different in literally any way) by running a hard wire then by all means get out that punch-down tool and start pulling cable. The rest of the world has moved on and denial ain’t just a river in Egypt. 👍🏻

I believe you’ve likely accomplished what you set out to do in this thread and have created an inventory of all available consumer EVSEs with an Ethernet port. Mission accomplished.