Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BEV chargers with Ethernet connection.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a list of EV chargers that have Ethernet connection included?

Ethernet is infinitely more reliable than Wireless, the effort to run a wire is often cheaper and defiantly saves money in long run.
The challenge is finding chargers that have Ethernet, as the vender typically focus on the wireless, not even mention the Ethernet.

What I have found so far:
With Ethernet:
EvoCharge https://evocharge.com/?s=Ethernet
BreezEV (point of sale unit) https://www.productsforautomation.com/breezev-48a-EV-charger-4g-p/evc-l2-48a-l1-1-et-d.htm

No Ethernet:
Enphase (formally Clipper Creek)
ChargePoint

Is there a list of EV chargers that have Ethernet connection included?

Ethernet is infinitely more reliable than Wireless, the effort to run a wire is often cheaper and defiantly saves money in long run.
The challenge is finding chargers that have Ethernet, as the vender typically focus on the wireless, not even mention the Ethernet.

What I have found so far:
With Ethernet:
EvoCharge https://evocharge.com/?s=Ethernet
BreezEV (point of sale unit) https://www.productsforautomation.com/breezev-48a-EV-charger-4g-p/evc-l2-48a-l1-1-et-d.htm

No Ethernet:
Enphase (formally Clipper Creek)
ChargePoint
Have you thought of just using a router put into access point mode? You can run the Ethernet cable right up to the EVSE and then mount the router right there. There are plenty of routers out there for dirt cheap that have access point mode. You can even get a used one or repurpose an old router if you have one laying around.

This will create a reliable connection and as a bonus you get wifi coverage where your EVSE is. This is also most likely why most EVSEs don't bother with ethernet, as this is a much better option for most households.

I personally like the Archer A7 (currently $54 on Amazon) because I can install Open-WRT on it and use it for wireless WAN. Basically it connects to another wifi connection as if it was plugged into the WAN port (so it creates its own isolated network). You can use either 5GHz as the backhaul for the WAN (and 2.4GHz as broadcast for LAN) or vice versa. It creates a much more reliable connection than any of the typical range extenders you can buy on the market. I also like that it is powered by standard 12V so it's easy to find small UPS battery backup units that can directly support it (as opposed for example ASUS routers I have which are 19V).

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Have you thought of just using a router put into access point mode? You can run the Ethernet cable right up to the EVSE and then mount the router right there. There are plenty of routers out there for dirt cheap that have access point mode. You can even get a used one or repurpose an old router if you have one laying around.

This will create a reliable connection and as a bonus you get wifi coverage where your EVSE is. This is also most likely why most EVSEs don't bother with ethernet, as this is a much better option for most households.

I personally like the Archer A7 (currently $54 on Amazon) because I can install Open-WRT on it and use it for wireless WAN. Basically it connects to another wifi connection as if it was plugged into the WAN port (so it creates its own isolated network). You can use either 5GHz as the backhaul for the WAN (and 2.4GHz as broadcast for LAN) or vice versa. It creates a much more reliable connection than any of the typical range extenders you can buy on the market. I also like that it is powered by standard 12V so it's easy to find small UPS battery backup units that can directly support it (as opposed for example ASUS routers I have which are 19V).
I'm also a big believer in wires however I've also fully embraced wireless for the last few feet. As such, I have an access point in my garage and it serves many devices, the cars, the EVSEs, the power monitoring system, the water monitoring and control system, etc. I have multiple access points and I don't use wireless meshing but instead run wires to each access point.

I'm still on dial-up, so I'd like an EVSE with built-in modem. If you find one of those, please add it to your list.
Found one, and only one.

Did not even think of looking at this excellent and informative person until later.

There is long list of reasons NOT to go wireless.

Lets put it this way:
If you went to a EV station or gas station and it was not working you would complained.
If you app froze or crashed you would be pissed.
But if your wireless was slow or went offline for a few minuets you would be like "no problem"

Wireless is great for some applications, but not a panacea.

I'm also a big believer in wires however I've also fully embraced wireless for the last few feet. As such, I have an access point in my garage and it serves many devices, the cars, the EVSEs, the power monitoring system, the water monitoring and control system, etc. I have multiple access points and I don't use wireless meshing but instead run wires to each access point.

I also have no problem with appropriate use of wireless, but adding more devices reduces the entire system.
At least yours is a good system by limiting the "echo's" with wired points.

There is long list of reasons NOT to go wireless.

Lets put it this way:
If you went to a EV station or gas station and it was not working you would complained.
I have never seen wireless connectivity being cited as the reason for a broken EV station or gas station, they break plenty easy for reasons unrelated to network connectivity.
If you app froze or crashed you would be pissed.
This can happen regardless of wireless connections.
But if your wireless was slow or went offline for a few minuets you would be like "no problem"
Actually no, I would diagnose the problem and try to prevent it from happening again. At the very least I would Google it and typically people with the same problem would post potential solutions. People do not generally say "no problem," to connectivity problems, especially if it frequently happens.

And many problems where a connection is slow or Internet broke connectivity has nothing to do with the Wifi connection, but actually the wired internet connection. Plus in the situation I'm talking about (Wifi router right next to the charger) the wifi connection would be rock solid.

Wireless is great for some applications, but not a panacea.
The wireless here would be used to support a secondary app, where the chances of the issue being the wifi connection vs an Ethernet connection is very low compared to bugs in the EVSE app or a Internet connectivity problem or network configuration problem that would still happen when if connected to an Ethernet connection. It's not like the wifi connection is being used to communicate between the car and the EVSE and any dropped packets would be disastrous.

In latency sensitive, realtime applications (like where milliseconds matter), yes a wired connection is more critical, but this is not the case with how the network connection is being used by EVSEs.

Anyways, I just pointed out a potential solution for people that allows them to have a much larger selection of EVSEs while emulating pretty much the same as an Ethernet connection.

I have never seen wireless connectivity being cited as the reason for a broken EV station or gas station, they break plenty easy for reasons unrelated to network connectivity.

This can happen regardless of wireless connections.

Actually no, I would diagnose the problem and try to prevent it from happening again. At the very least I would Google it and typically people with the same problem would post potential solutions. People do not generally say "no problem," to connectivity problems, especially if it frequently happens.

And many problems where a connection is slow or Internet broke connectivity has nothing to do with the Wifi connection, but actually the wired internet connection. Plus in the situation I'm talking about (Wifi router right next to the charger) the wifi connection would be rock solid.

The wireless here would be used to support a secondary app, where the chances of the issue being the wifi connection vs an Ethernet connection is very low compared to bugs in the EVSE app or a Internet connectivity problem or network configuration problem that would still happen when if connected to an Ethernet connection. It's not like the wifi connection is being used to communicate between the car and the EVSE and any dropped packets would be disastrous.

In latency sensitive, realtime applications (like where milliseconds matter), yes a wired connection is more critical, but this is not the case with how the network connection is being used by EVSEs.

Anyways, I just pointed out a potential solution for people that allows them to have a much larger selection of EVSEs while emulating pretty much the same as an Ethernet connection.
You misunderstood,
If other systems were slow or stopped working (eg: fuel dispensing, or even a minute of power grid failure), people would complain, very few like you would troubleshoot and fix it if possible.

Also this is not about latency but delays. As Kyle from Out Of Spec keeps saying people expect very fast response from connected devices, to the effect that people expect the moment a lamp is plugged in it will light up.
While usually negligible, the delay of packing and unpacking and transmitting of data packets does slow the system, and those packets can be corrected by random radio noise (AC house wiring, electrical devices, maybe the BEV heat pump working, etc). At home we have a water pick that completely kills radio reception around it when running.

Take it from a master of design:
Elon Musk is known for saying "the best part is no part and the less parts the better".
Wi-Fi for a stationary object is simply asking for trouble.
Prove Elon wrong.

OpenEVSE has an Ethernet option IIRC.
Looked, does not.
Was user addition.

• Informative
Reactions: fhteagle
Also this is not about latency but delays.
You know those words mean the same thing, right? This is like saying it’s not about donuts but breakfast pastries.

While usually negligible, the delay of packing and unpacking and transmitting of data packets does slow the system
I assure you, wired Ethernet performs all of the same packing and unpacking and transmitting of data packets. Anyone claiming to notice a latency effect when interacting with a connected IOT device and then blaming that on the inherent latency (err, delay) of wifi is just plain making things up.

Run an internet speed test to the same server, from the same network, using the same device, and repeat the test using a wired and wireless connection. If you measure any sustained difference in latency at all over multiple tests, it would be far less than 1ms on a properly functioning wireless network. That’s imperceptible for the types of devices we’re talking about.
, and those packets can be corrected by random radio noise (AC house wiring, electrical devices, maybe the BEV heat pump working, etc). At home we have a water pick that completely kills radio reception around it when running.
Modern WiFi routers are incredibly effective at dealing with most interference and have many channels over three discrete frequencies to choose from.
Elon Musk is known for saying "the best part is no part and the less parts the better".
Prove Elon wrong.
This is goofy laughable for a bunch of different reasons, not the least of which calling Elon a “master of design”, but we’ll set that one aside.

The presumption that a wired connection is somehow “less parts” is fundamentally flawed and detached from reality. A switch is a part. The wire you have to fish through your attic and walls is a part. The wall jack is a part. The physical jack in the EVSE is a part (and one that is physically susceptible to breakage). Every connection point is an opportunity for breakage, corrosion, or other failure. A modern WiFi SoC the size of your pinky nail is greatly simpler to implement and more robust over the long term.

Wired connectivity for the great majority of consumer devices is dead. I’m currently working on finalizing the design for a 400 bed housing building. The building does have wired Ethernet in it - as the backhaul for the wireless APs. Nobody runs Ethernet to individual units any more, just like nobody runs POTS copper for land lines. The ship has sailed.

Like I said originally, I appreciate the attempt at a data collection effort. I’m sure there are fringe cases where someone will find this useful. But the justification you’ve presented is chock full of half truths, outdated information, and bad assumptions.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
You misunderstood,
If other systems were slow or stopped working (eg: fuel dispensing, or even a minute of power grid failure), people would complain, very few like you would troubleshoot and fix it if possible.

Also this is not about latency but delays. As Kyle from Out Of Spec keeps saying people expect very fast response from connected devices, to the effect that people expect the moment a lamp is plugged in it will light up.
While usually negligible, the delay of packing and unpacking and transmitting of data packets does slow the system, and those packets can be corrected by random radio noise (AC house wiring, electrical devices, maybe the BEV heat pump working, etc). At home we have a water pick that completely kills radio reception around it when running.

Prove Elon wrong.
Latency IS delay. The additional latency of a typical Wifi connection of moderate distance is 2-4ms. It would be even less if you mount the router right next to the EVSE, as I suggested. For an secondary application like an EVSE's app, you will not notice the difference at all, given the internet latency is drastically more.

As another mentioned, the packing and unpacking of data happens on Ethernet also! It's inherent in how we do our network connections today. We aren't talking about comparing to using a parallel or serial port here. If this is your concern, you would need to look at EVSEs that provide a RS232 port and connect that to a computer (but if your computer uses an Ethernet connection and your EVSE app requires an Internet connection to work, you are back to square one).

Wi-Fi is not the same as radio, it can switch to multiple channels and has error correcting built in. You can even use 5GHz to prevent interference with more common 2.4GHz device, although this generally isn't a concern for most modern devices.

Latency IS delay. The additional latency of a typical Wifi connection of moderate distance is 2-4ms. It would be even less if you mount the router right next to the EVSE, as I suggested. For an secondary application like an EVSE's app, you will not notice the difference at all, given the internet latency is drastically more.

As another mentioned, the packing and unpacking of data happens on Ethernet also! It's inherent in how we do our network connections today. We aren't talking about comparing to using a parallel or serial port here. If this is your concern, you would need to look at EVSEs that provide a RS232 port and connect that to a computer (but if your computer uses an Ethernet connection and your EVSE app requires an Internet connection to work, you are back to square one).

Wi-Fi is not the same as radio, it can switch to multiple channels and has error correcting built in. You can even use 5GHz to prevent interference with more common 2.4GHz device, although this generally isn't a concern for most modern devices.
Mounting a wifi router right next to a EVSE only strengths the need to get rid of the wifi.

Apparent it is not obvious, the packet level I am talking about is encapsulating the Ethernet packets into Wifi packets that include CRC / checksum data, which is then transmitted.
Wifi does not need to be connected to internet work, it is just a medium.

Wi-fi IS radio. Cellular networks ARE radio networks. Cell phone are effectively no different than a "walkie-talkie" handled transceiver devices.
The more devices that use the same signal, the less reliable, lower bandwidth there is, and FHSS does not compensate for that.

You know those words mean the same thing, right? This is like saying it’s not about donuts but breakfast pastries.

Latency IS delay.

Negative, it is not the same.
Anyone in IT knows.

Latency
The time between data entering a device and leaving it.
For example, a switch may add 5ms of latency

Delay
The one-way time it takes for traffic to leave the sender and arrive at the destination

So the time it takes for packet from source to destination has both Latency and Delay. In fact, it will have multiple Latency points within the (total) Delay.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Negative, it is not the same.
Anyone in IT knows.

Latency
The time between data entering a device and leaving it.
For example, a switch may add 5ms of latency

Delay
The one-way time it takes for traffic to leave the sender and arrive at the destination

So the time it takes for packet from source to destination has both Latency and Delay. In fact, it will have multiple Latency points within the (total) Delay.
In this context it's the same thing given you are only concerned out the additional latency/delay between your EVSE and the router via the Wifi connection vs an Ethernet connection.

Everything else in the connection is exactly the same.

Last edited: