Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bestest Idealest Battery charging percentage band

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been discussed as nauseum but the general consensus is to keep the charge between 20-80% for lithium-ion.

My question is: can someone narrow that down to an even narrower band? In a perfectly ideal scenario, where should I keep the charge state?

My Y has 400 miles on it and I’ve been babying the battery. Charging at a super slow 5amps and keeping the battery between 45-60%. My daily usage is only 10-15% so I wanted to know what the perfect band would be. I want the car to spend the most time around the optimal percent. (e.g. if optimal pct is 50%, I should charge to 58% and run it between 58-42%, and charge daily.)

(Yeah, prob being way too anal about this.)
As you can see you are doing fine.

You could get lower degradation by lowering the charge to 50-55%, then you stay below the "step" where calendar aging increase.
Also, it doesnt say when you charge. If possible charge late (like finished just before the drive), so the average SOC get lower.
The lower the SOC is, each night the better (but there is no need to start to interriupt the charger below 50% to minimize it further.

The charging Amps: All AC charging, thats 11kW or below, will be considered slow charging ( 11/82 = 0,13C and below about 0.20-0.25C is considered slow charging). You can charge at all AC charging powers up to the AC charger limit of 11kW without causing any measurable increase on the degradation. In fact, charging very slow would increase the average SOC, but you probably can not measure the difference. I charge with max AC, 11kW starting about 0330 in the moring so it is just done before going to work etc.

While it would be possible to have the absolute lowest degradation by always charging late and to the lowest SOC, for practical reasons I charge to 55% and I let it charge all nights. Leaving the car at low SOC at weeekends and day off's from work would reduce the degradation further but for me I like to be able to use the car ad hoc, and to make it fun instead of a trouble having an EV.

I have a M3 Performance and tyo have full power all days I would need to charge to 90% or so. I sacrifice a little power to reduce degradation.
For people that do not want to sacrifice the power its understandeble that that charge higher even knowing the sacrifice for power.

Reactions: Manbutter
As you can see you are doing fine.

You could get lower degradation by lowering the charge to 50-55%, then you stay below the "step" where calendar aging increase.
Also, it doesnt say when you charge. If possible charge late (like finished just before the drive), so the average SOC get lower.
The lower the SOC is, each night the better (but there is no need to start to interriupt the charger below 50% to minimize it further.

The charging Amps: All AC charging, thats 11kW or below, will be considered slow charging ( 11/82 = 0,13C and below about 0.20-0.25C is considered slow charging). You can charge at all AC charging powers up to the AC charger limit of 11kW without causing any measurable increase on the degradation. In fact, charging very slow would increase the average SOC, but you probably can not measure the difference. I charge with max AC, 11kW starting about 0330 in the moring so it is just done before going to work etc.

While it would be possible to have the absolute lowest degradation by always charging late and to the lowest SOC, for practical reasons I charge to 55% and I let it charge all nights. Leaving the car at low SOC at weeekends and day off's from work would reduce the degradation further but for me I like to be able to use the car ad hoc, and to make it fun instead of a trouble having an EV.

I have a M3 Performance and tyo have full power all days I would need to charge to 90% or so. I sacrifice a little power to reduce degradation.
For people that do not want to sacrifice the power its understandeble that that charge higher even knowing the sacrifice for power.
Great detailed answer. Thanks. This corresponds with all the lithium-ion battery websites on the web that recommend a resting state of charge between 40-60 percent. (some say 40-50 is best, others 50-60).

As AAKEE said, the lower the state of charge when not in use, the better (so long as not below 10%). So I'm going to aim for a target of 40-52% as I usually use 12% per day. And also going to delay charging as you suggest and try to finish charging when I am ready to drive. While others may find this a pain in the as to manage, I actually enjoy these little puzzles.

I'll also up the amps from 5A charging to 12A. What really is the harm of 5A charging? Is it that the car wastes energy warming the battery and being "awake?" And at what level is it considered fast charging that could cause the battery to deteriorate faster?

Last edited:
Great detailed answer. Thanks. This corresponds with all the lithium-ion battery websites on the web that recommend a resting state of charge between 40-60 percent. (some say 40-50 is best, others 50-60).
These sites has probably fallen into the traps of the battery myths.

50-55% SOC is a very good charging target, but the lowest degradation is actually at 0% SOC.
The research shows that it is like the picture below.
I charge to 55% daily. Over the night the car stands with the residual SOC from the day, down to very low numbers if it end up there.
My charging normally commence at 0300 or 0400 to be ready just before going to work. (Backwards calc from the usual SOC to 55%. Each hour gives roughly 15%.)

A00FFBA7-CA23-426A-80C6-9B6341874D15.jpeg

As AAKEE said, the lower the state of charge when not in use, the better (so long as not below 10%). So I'm going to aim for a target of 40-52% as I usually use 12% per day. And also going to delay charging as you suggest and try to finish charging when I am ready to drive. While others may find this a pain in the as to manage, I actually enjoy these little puzzles.

I'll also up the amps from 5A charging to 12A. What really is the harm of 5A charging? Is it that the car wastes energy warming the battery and being "awake?"
No harm. The car is awake during charging and that cost energy.
Lowest losses is at 11kW, maximum AC charging speed. Shorter charging time uses less energy and maybe less losses in the on board charger.

When I charge at my mother in law, outdide at down to -30C sometimes, the efficiency of the 3kW charge (single phase 13A 230V) the efficiency is very low as about 30-50% of the charging power is used for battery heating. Teslafi has showed 37% charging efficiency, and teslafi usually exaggerates that efficiency.
And at what level is it considered fast charging that could cause the battery to deteriorate faster?
0.25-0.3C and slower is normally considered slow charging.
Panasonics specification in datasheet for their NCA batteries varies but it is not below 0.25C.
0.25C on a LR/ Performance is about 20kW.

11kW is very safe. Tesla build the cars so they protect themselfs and so the owner do not need to know. They would not have a maximum charging speed of 11 kW if that was not very safe.
( I always use 11kW and my car has the lowest degradation of similar cars after 2 years)

I've never used a public charger before. Is there a way to slow down a public charger to avoid degradation of the battery? (I would only do this when there are a lot of empty spots and only to 70% or so. )
When using AC chargers (when you use a own charger cable, max 11kW), you can set the charging power.

DC Chargers, when the charger has it own cable, you can not.

@AAKEE ; A tremendous thanks for sharing this charging info! As a result, I have my 2023 M3 LR AWD scheduled to finish charging daily to 55% just before my morning commute. I have ~195 miles of range available at this SOC and only commute 60 miles, so this gives me lots of cushion if I ever need to drive unexpectedly. I might even drop to 53% just to leave a bit of a safety margin and ensure I'm well below the threshold for optimally low degradation.

Even if I forget to charge, or a glitch occurs and the car doesn't charge, I can easily make a 2nd commute.

I know this has been discussed as nauseum but the general consensus is to keep the charge between 20-80% for lithium-ion.

My question is: can someone narrow that down to an even narrower band? In a perfectly ideal scenario, where should I keep the charge state?

My Y has 400 miles on it and I’ve been babying the battery. Charging at a super slow 5amps and keeping the battery between 45-60%. My daily usage is only 10-15% so I wanted to know what the perfect band would be. I want the car to spend the most time around the optimal percent. (e.g. if optimal pct is 50%, I should charge to 58% and run it between 58-42%, and charge daily.)

(Yeah, prob being way too anal about this.)
There's a long long long thread on the Model 3 forum that dives into academic battery research results, experimental facts directly from the source and not bro-science or rules of thumb people see on EV blogs or sites. In particular much credit to member AAKEE who is a key source of knowledge distillation.

In a nutshell, calendar aging matters much more than cyclic aging unless you drive an extraordinary amount or for cars 10+ years old. Calendar aging is worse at higher temperatures, and higher state of charge uniformly. There is a 'shelf' where degradation is notably less around 55% or less state of charge. (Your 50% display is also more like 52% scientific for a new car).

If your daily usage is 15% then set the charge limit to the lowest possible, 50%, most days so average state of charge will be somewhere between 35% and 50%. More important in summer than winter. This is what I do. If you really want you can charge every other day and go from 50% to 20%. But don't be afraid to charge higher occasionally when needed if that will be less stressful, don't be a slave to the car.

There is no need to charge at 5 amps. No L2 charging will ever degrade the battery to any significant amount. Furthermore very low power charging may waste a bit of energy as more will be lost to cold over time. I set an end time of low cost charging and it calculates what it needs so it finishes by that time. Using more L2 power than 5A means it starts up later and heats up the battery better to allow it to take in more charge. There is no downside to the usual 32A 240V (USA typical L2) or whatever typical EU home charging is.

To pre-empt the usual question: "Why do no car manufacturers tell us this?" Because although it's factual, the press is hostile to EVs and particularly Teslas and they would take such science-based recommendations as a scandal with hysterical pejorative exaggeration: "THE TRUTH ABOUT TESLAS: RANGE IS HALF WHAT ELON SAYS OR YOUR BATTERY WILL DIE".

Last edited:
I'll also up the amps from 5A charging to 12A. What really is the harm of 5A charging? Is it that the car wastes energy warming the battery and being "awake?" And at what level is it considered fast charging that could cause the battery to deteriorate faster?
Yes, it wastes more energy being awake and maybe also letting heat escape.

Fast charging might just start to cause deterioration above C=1, which means total energy transferred in one hour. For a 80 kWh battery that means 80 kW, i.e. supercharger levels. 240V 12A is 7.4 kW, so C=0.1. Less power is even less.

Hi @AAKEE I discovered your posts since a couple of months and your tips are fresh air in an ocean of fake myths.

I bought model 3 on September 2020 and my use case is a little bit strange: I use my car on weekends only.
So I tried to study so many publications, websites, service tickets and so on, to try to keep my battery sound and safe.
Because I can't "regularly charge it" like every commuters like you!
(Maybe I should have worried more about the paint on the car instead..)

There is something that confuses me since day one: this sentence in the user manual

Screenshot_20230129_184849_Samsung Internet.jpg
Expecially during COVID lockdown (I'm from Italy) I leaved my car plugged, target SoC to 50%.. for weeks.
If I had read your posts some years ago I would have kept it unplugged! Or at least I would stop the charge.

In your opinion, why the Tesla wrote this paragraph?
In my opinion that sentence is misleading and DANGEROUS!
Also I was afraid to go down to 20%.. another stupid tip I got from manual!

I can't understand if leaving it plugged and "charge stopped" is the same to leave it unplugged.

Thank you for your posts

Hi @AAKEE I discovered your posts since a couple of months and your tips are fresh air in an ocean of fake myths.

I bought model 3 on September 2020 and my use case is a little bit strange: I use my car on weekends only.
I changed job last year. Before I commuted weekdays, a 60 miles roundtrip.
Now I work 160 miles away, but one week at the time and about one week of three or four. So the car stands at home (or is driven very short by my wife to her job) but I have kept the 55% SOC charging target to have freedom of action.
This slightly rises my average SOC from some 30-35%, to 46 or so at the moment. In the end it might be over 50% as I often only do short drives when being home and free.
In the balance between easy ownership I think 55% is the sweet spot for me. Its possible to lower to 50% but what the heck, it will not be no noticable difference in the long run.

If the extreme lowest degradation was the goal, I could have the car at 20-30% and time the charging so it was stopped at 30%. But then I couldnt unplanned drive to the bigger city 45km away, at least not in wintertime and still have SOC to have the freedom of movement.
Also, I wouldnt have done 45 supercharging sessions and about 25-30 full charges.

If you only drive it at weekends you could either charge it “always” to 50% or so or not charge it in the end of the weekend. Leaving it at 10-30% is not bad.
If the lowest degradation is more important to you than the freedom to be able to go away at any point, leave it low in the end of the weekend and charge just before the first drive on the next weekend. Do not charge more than needed and charge often.
Before you set yourself into a habit that makes it hard to own the tesla, remember that the battery would hold up anyway, and that the keeping low-principle with charging to 50-55% instead of 80% and use low soc cycles with “charge often” will cut the usual degradation in half. I can not decide it for you, but i can say that my approach is “without making it awkward”.

So I tried to study so many publications, websites, service tickets and so on, to try to keep my battery sound and safe.
Because I can't "regularly charge it" like every commuters like you!
(Maybe I should have worried more about the paint on the car instead..)

There is something that confuses me since day one: this sentence in the user manual

View attachment 901022Expecially during COVID lockdown (I'm from Italy) I leaved my car plugged, target SoC to 50%.. for weeks.
If I had read your posts some years ago I would have kept it unplugged! Or at least I would stop the charge.

I always connect the cable when arriving at home (I have the WC in the garage slot for my Tesla).
I have it set to scheduled charging. It does not start the charging when the cable is connected. The charging starts on the set time only.

In your opinion, why the Tesla wrote this paragraph?
First: Teslas recommendations is not always for giving the absolute lowest degradation.
They of course have a combination of giving acceptable degradation with as few “rules” as possible. It is supposed to be easy to own a EV, otherwise Teslas vision wont be fulfilled.
In my opinion that sentence is misleading and DANGEROUS!
Nope, it is not.
Always connected is one easy “rule” that helps with a lot:
- All consumption when the car is parked will be drawn from the net. This means less cycles for the battery. Reduces cyclic aging.
- It will ensure “charge often” which gives smaller cycles, that reduce the cyclic wear
- You will not forget to charge the car, comming out the next morning, stressed to go to work and find the car nor connected or charged would not make you happy.

The main basics for Tesla is to ensure that not too many cars (more or less none need a battery change within warranty).
You can not sell a EV, advertise 300 miles range and in the same time recommend to keep it at 10% with almost no practical range.

So Tesla calculates that you charge to up to 90% daily. 80% is probably as “bad” or even slightly worse.
If you do 80% every day and live in a hot climate you might loose 7% the first year. After 8 year in total you will be about 20%.
But each year then you only have 1% calendar aging each year, and it is slightly reducing so the car will be worn out before the battery is dead.
If you did charge often, you did have small cycles so the cyclic aging was very small.
There still is a good margin to the 30%.

I think Teslas advice is very good. In general, to conquer the world with electrical vehicles, they need to prove easy to use, and the owner need not to feel constrainted by rules and “donts” or range anxiety etc.
Remember, the battery will survive by only following Teslas simple advices.

There is only one wrong thing with Teslas advices: The rumors that says “Tesla says” when Tesla doesn’t.

My posts is not needed to save your battery from the death.
My posts has two purposes:
-Help with killing the myths so people doesn’t do contraproducing things like wonder “why the degradation is high despite always babying it at 80%”.
- For the ones that like to minimize the degradation for other reasons, help with tips how to keep the degradation low.
Also I was afraid to go down to 20%.. another stupid tip I got from manual!
I think one of the myth’s did get you ;)

Please read the manual and enlighten me where to find that dont go below 20% (Actually one of the first things i did after getting my Tesla and reading here at TMC, a swedish forum and participating in some facebook groups was skimming the manual, and teslas online pages to find what they really did write and recommend. I did this as the most common forum line was “tesla says”, but I could not find these.)

For example, Tesla writes about leaving the car for an extended time, at an airport or so. They say that we should count with 1% SOC loss per day and that two weeks = 14%. There is no information about having 20% as the lower limit. (I was to lazy to find the english version but this is my manual in swedish stating this).
E5EAE1AE-B0F9-4FDC-BD5E-3FB8EDEE776B.jpeg

On the contrary to “20%” the manual actually states that there can be damages of the HV battery get dsicharged below 0%. They even give the example of the LV battery (12V) that is a lead acid battery and these do not like to get discharged at all. A drained lead acid battery will loose capacity.
If 20% was as bad as the forum myth, first of all, Tesla would write about it. Secondly, my battery would be gone (instead of showing very low degradation, as it does. 495-497km range out of 507km after 2 years and 57K km).

CAB7B3D5-3F50-4BB7-B4EF-C734A5054863.jpeg

I have not ever seen Tesla write about the 20%, ever. I would call it a fat myth, not founded by Tesla.

This is a picture from a old aerticle, 2006 or so. Tesla was probablyt quite new at this, and the batteries of today do not have that 2% limit. Anyway, as our Teslas still has 4.5% true SOC when 0% is displayed, and the battery cell voltage is not below 3.00Volts, we can not reach that state without driving below 0%. I have driven down to -2% that is about 2.5% true SOC twice.

The recent research tell us that it is quite safe down to 0% true SOC, but in our case we doesnt need to think about it as We are above that 2% true SOC if we only drive down to 0% displayed.
0DB60168-39D0-4D29-B5A2-B8C94EEB238D.jpeg

I can't understand if leaving it plugged and "charge stopped" is the same to leave it unplugged.
As I did write above, it reduces the charging cycles by using any needed power directly from the net and therefore less charging and discharging cycles. Does not do very much for my car that is using very little energy parked….like 1% a week or so.
But the advice is for everyone, and some people use sentry all year.Sentry over one year would be > 20 FCE cycles (20 cycles of 100%-0%).
During winter, preheating and battery conditioning etc use much energy if used each day. Same as with sentry.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I think one of the myth’s did get you ;)
Oh. My. God.
It got me 🫣
I searched the whole user manual.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Ok: not Tesla fault but.. you know: the yellow battery, the sentry or the pre-heat that can't be activated below 20%.. those things have a psychological effect! ☹️
Plus the popular wisdom..
Thank You again AAKEE. Like I said: you are a myth-buster! 😄

Thank for your clarification about that sentence, too.

In general: it's not a pain for me to try to reach the lowest degradation.
I struggle in one case only: When I argue with my wife because she would use the DC chargers every time and I avoid them! 😄

About dc charging: I avoid them.. but I like to put the pedal to the metal.. and you triggered my mind with point n.4 in the 2006 article.. so.. shall I drive gently to reach the lowest degradation? This would make me suffer.. a lot.. 🤪

Oh. My. God.
It got me 🫣
I searched the whole user manual.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Ok: not Tesla fault but.. you know: the yellow battery, the sentry or the pre-heat that can't be activated below 20%.. those things have a psychological effect! ☹️
Plus the popular wisdom..
Thank You again AAKEE. Like I said: you are a myth-buster! 😄

Thank for your clarification about that sentence, too.

In general: it's not a pain for me to try to reach the lowest degradation.
I struggle in one case only: When I argue with my wife because she would use the DC chargers every time and I avoid them! 😄

About dc charging: I avoid them.. but I like to put the pedal to the metal.. and you triggered my mind with point n.4 in the 2006 article.. so.. shall I drive gently to reach the lowest degradation? This would make me suffer.. a lot.. 🤪
Yes, high C-rates is degrading the battery faster.

I did wear out my rear tyres asap this spring. Had a new set on order but actually had to buy two extra rear tyres in between as using much power does bad things to the tyres.

In the cyles tests in research we see that 0.2-0.3C have lover degradation than 0.5C.
0.2-0.3C is about 20-25kW so light highspeed driving.
We have more degradation at fast highspeed driving.
For all of this, cyclic aging is quite low anyway. Less than 1% each year in most cases.
But if we always use our M3P with maximimum/high power , we increase this wear quite much.
Occational bursts might not wear so we can detect it.

I use high power whenever I like to, but I try not to with a very cold battery.
I did get the M3P to use the power abd degradation from ”fun” is acceptable for me ;)

Reactions: DJ Palmis
I have lived by the facts shown by science, and my car is doing very well.
56.000km after two years, the nominal full pack is about 79 kWh and last full charge showed 497km (507km "new range").

I have 46 supercharging sessions and 3 charges at another brand(200kW charger). I have charged to full (or 98% or more about 30 times.
If driving down to below 20% was bad, I would need a new battery today.

Still, its not just "he got lucky in the battery lottery". The degradation shown today is more or less on spot with the calcuation.
There was a range dip in this summer but a 100% to 0% drive showed that the capacity was about 79 kWh, this was at the time the degradation report showed the lowest range. It was only a BMS calibration issue.

View attachment 889545

I charge to 55%. I know 50% would be marginally better but 55% is good enough for me. As I charge just before the drive it would actually be possible to charge higher than 55% and still get low calendar aging. For longer drive I do that.
How would you recommend keeping the BMS properly calibrated assuming you normally charge the car to 55% and rarely have a need to charge higher?

How would you recommend keeping the BMS properly calibrated assuming you normally charge the car to 55% and rarely have a need to charge higher?
I very seldom have very many days at 55% in a row. In average I need more (80-100%) at least two-tre times a month.
And I havent really used any tricks to keep the BMS calibrated. It has gotten off, both up- and downwards and I havent done anything active about it.

I very seldom have very many days at 55% in a row. In average I need more (80-100%) at least two-tre times a month.
And I havent really used any tricks to keep the BMS calibrated. It has gotten off, both up- and downwards and I havent done anything active about it.
Most days we drive about 40 to 60 miles, maybe once a week to around 100 miles and once a month about 160 miles. Any more than that is pretty rare. We'd really only need to charge above 55% about once a month. I guess maybe charge it up to 95% or so for those once a month days, and hopefully the battery calibration will stay reasonably close.

Charging Best Practices!
Maintaining Li-ion Batteries - Real-world Recommendations for BEVs. These recommendations were revised recently in light of conversations with experts and long-time BEV owners on this forum.

Attachments

• BEV - Maintaining Li-ion Battery.png
    BEV - Maintaining Li-ion Battery.png
    210 KB · Views: 68