Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to repair uberturbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2022 MYP for 16k miles that I only drove. The wheels were not curbed. I bought a 2022 MYP, I was able to add my husband to the insurance for this one, so he has driven it a few times. He curbed one of the wheels today. I'm not thrilled, but it is what it is. He also crashed my vette the first time he drove it, and drove my WRX over a curb and...sigh. Anyway.

Let's assume this is going to happen again. He takes right turns too close. It's going to happen again. What is the best way to fix this, so it looks okay, but I'm not buying a new wheel every few months? My instinct is to buy a new wheel since I can't deal looking at my now imperfect car.

Well, I suppose you could call autobodies in your area and research who specializes in curb rash / wheel repair. Then you could have your husband go through the process of securing a rental car, drop off your Tesla at the auto body shop, and then pick up the Tesla when the repair job is finished along with returning the rental car. Maybe after he goes through this process a few times, he'll be a little bit more conscientious and use care when driving your car. I suppose another choice is just to ground him from it and never allow him to drive it again. I realize this will most likely not be an inexpensive repair (or even a feasible option) but it might be a good option to help mitigate or at least minimize any future damaging, heart-sinking mishaps.
Since this kind of repair is the forte of an auto body shop, they will be able to provide you the best, high quality repair so that you will not be able to even tell it was damaged.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
I had a 2022 MYP for 16k miles that I only drove. The wheels were not curbed. I bought a 2022 MYP, I was able to add my husband to the insurance for this one, so he has driven it a few times. He curbed one of the wheels today. I'm not thrilled, but it is what it is. He also crashed my vette the first time he drove it, and drove my WRX over a curb and...sigh. Anyway.

Let's assume this is going to happen again. He takes right turns too close. It's going to happen again. What is the best way to fix this, so it looks okay, but I'm not buying a new wheel every few months? My instinct is to buy a new wheel since I can't deal looking at my now imperfect car.

See if there are any wheel repair people in your area. I just had mine repaired by a local company here (3 wheels, 2 on my car, one on my wifes), where one of the wheels was actually gouged by a lane splitting motorcycles peg hitting the wheel and gouging it.

It came out great. Like most things, the skill of the person matters, but I am beyond happy with my repair. If you are interested you can see my post here (post 16 in this existing thread below).

The best way would likely to be to find a local person like this in your area.

Any idea how much it would cost to repair the rim? I've seen people selling sets of wheels and tires for 2k to 2.5k. The tires alone are 1.7k from Tire Rack, so I was debating just buying another set from ebay or the forum.
I was just curious about the damage to your rims because I had some damage happen to my 2022 M3P rim. It was just some minor scratches that took place when a brand new touchless car wash's tire-guide rail wasn't securely bolted to the floor and thus raised up and scratched paint off my Überturbine spokes (4 of them). Most of the scratches actually just looked like it took off a layer of clear coat but there was one area where it actually chipped the paint off. Very minimal damage that was barely visible, but . . . to me it appeared as a ugly Grand canyon sized mar. Luckily, I did not have any damage to the metal on the rim. I got repair quotes and the average was around $280. The repair would include removing the tire from the wheel, a metal fiber filler for the chipped paint area (very small chip-about the diameter of a pencil eraser), two primer coats, and three top coats. Then of course to re-balance and mount the tire back onto the wheel.
I thought it was a pretty decent price to make my wheel look like it never had any damage. Worth it.
But like I was saying, it was difficult to see if there was any damage before the repair. With that being said, depending on the severity of damage to your rim will dictate the cost of its repair.

Has anyone tried this? Trying to contact them to test for you guys

Has anyone tried this? Trying to contact them to test for you guys
I have never seen this before, that looks pretty neat. I like the way you can get the same color of paint as your car to give the rims an alternative accenting scheme. A nice flare! It also looks very easy to install these on the rim.

It's not if but when the wheels get curbed. I have done it a couple of times on the passenger blind side. I like this bit of kit:

The paint is a perfect match and you can get it looking OK again so your eye is not drawn to it. To speed up the process, I took the worst of it out with a Dremel tool using the sanding drums and then finished by hand.
I have a friend who used this same exact method. He did have some minor metal damage to the rim. The paint color is spot on and it definitely made his rim look OK. He did not spend a lot of time to smooth out the metal of scratch damage so if you are at a distance of about 4 in, you can see the underlying metal damage on the rim.
I am such a perfectionist though, I did not even want the chance of the wheel not looking "Perfect". The auto body shop did with exact precision and I did not have to finagle with the process trying to achieve a "like new" appearance.

Any idea how much it would cost to repair the rim? I've seen people selling sets of wheels and tires for 2k to 2.5k. The tires alone are 1.7k from Tire Rack, so I was debating just buying another set from ebay or the forum.

Its going to depend on what the person in your area charges, but for a pro to do it I think is between like $100 - $150 a wheel, depending on the damage.

Tesla rims brand new are pretty expensive. No idea on the uber turbines, but the OEM wheels on my model 3 were $725 each, new, 3 years ago when I had to replace one due to pothole damage denting the rim. I suspect uberturbines to be around that, brand new.

People selling takeoffs on ebay would be cheaper of course. I havent dug into it but the price you mentioned sounds in the ballpark (2k to 2.5k a set), or 500 ish a wheel)

Repairing it should be at most $150 to $175 a wheel (probably cheaper than that, but again local markets, etc).

Sounds like your husband sucks at driving. LOL!

Actually, I must suck at driving too since I've curbed 3 of my Uberturbines. When the first one happened I saw a post here about a cheap fix and got a can of "Carbon Mist" spray paint and some sand papers and did a pretty ghetto job repainting the wheels myself. Carbon Mist isn't really a match to the Ubers' colors but it was close enough and I was OK with the fix since I can't immediately see it when I approach my car. I ended up doing the same thing for each of the 3 repairs since I already got the paint. If I could do it over, I would probably buy some exact color match paint such as what T-Sportline sells and just sand down the curbed area (mine were all right at the edge of the rims) and brush painted over it.

Reactions: Scubamikey
We found a service via yelp that repaired our rims for $150 per wheel. I'm sure they'd give you a discount if you were doing all 4 wheels.

They drove out to our house and sorted it out while we were at work and by the end you couldn't even tell the rims had ever been curbed. Happy to provide details for the Bay Area people we used if you PM me.

I've seen the MagBak rim protectors on Instagram ads numerous times the past few weeks. Specifically, they look designed for UT wheels. It seems like a good idea, but my fear would be them flying off on the highway at high speeds. I've seen that as a common concern and a deterrent to purchasing. Time will tell.

I've seen the MagBak rim protectors on Instagram ads numerous times the past few weeks. Specifically, they look designed for UT wheels. It seems like a good idea, but my fear would be them flying off on the highway at high speeds. I've seen that as a common concern and a deterrent to purchasing. Time will tell.
I reviewed it. It's insane how firm it attaches and grips it. Friends had it on for maybe 3 weeks now and he LOVES it.
It's weird because it's black and the uber's are grey. But if you look at the video you can't even tell.